Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Mini-Tutorial] Joshua's Skinning Process  (Read 6622 times)
Joshua
Half-Nub

Cakes 5

Loves OpenArena!

« on: May 30, 2010, 05:35:23 PM »

Since unR shared his process I thought I'd share my workflow.  Smiley

1. Model & Unwrap

Start with a UV mapped model to be skinned. In my case I am working on the legs of my model.

2. Light Model

Position lights to create a nice gradient across the model. The shading should help illustrate the volumes of your model. I have placed lamps to the front, back, left, right, and below my model. Try to avoid creating areas of pure white or black.

3. Bake

Assign a new image to the model for the bake to be rendered to. In the Render Panel (F10) select the Bake tab, and click the Full Render option. Make sure your model is selected and click the Bake button. The shading should be rendered to the newly created image.

Note: Using Blender 2.49 I had to invert the normals before I performed the bake for the faces to be lit corrrectly.

4. Paint

Now for the artistic part. I have applied a gradient map, sampled from the torso, to match the skin tone. From there, I use the smudge tool to define the different volumes, and the brush tool to paint details.

unR
Nub

Cakes 6

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 07:54:36 AM »

thats pretty cool imho.
I've seen something like this before.
http://www.bobotheseal.com/tuts_vertex_bake01.htm

though i find the faceted look pretty cool the guy in the link managed to go without it
(maybe thats a 3dsmax bonus, dunno)

serious kidding
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 03:41:09 PM »

Ever also tried ambient occlusion baking? Some of the skins in OA were started off with that (particularily Angelyss skins) then had their color ramp adjusted in the UV/Image editor then saved.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Joshua
Half-Nub

Cakes 5

Loves OpenArena!

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 10:08:57 PM »

@unR
I was definately inspired by Bobo's tutorials, and adapted them for my Blender workflow.

@fromhell
I have in the past, but I have switched to the lights so I have more control of the end result. Perhaps a combination of the two might yield good results?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: