Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Stop Whining and Practice  (Read 15089 times)
jdodson
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: January 13, 2007, 04:33:18 PM »

Today I was playing on my server House Of Rock and kicking everyones ass.  Of course they started chiming in that I was cheating.   Instead of accusing me of cheating with no shred of evidence and getting everyone to believe you and then leaving the server in a huff, I propose and alternate solution:

Practice so you can beat me.   Its not hard I don't play that often.

I am not that good, I promise.  There are other more seasoned players out there and you can't accuse everyone of cheating because they hand your ass to you on a plate.  The advantage I did have that you did not was that I had a ping of 7.  You have a ping over 150, wherein a good ping to have, mine is better.   

Here are some ideas for you to practice on:

* I learned how you guys moved.  I then anticipated what direction you were moving and shot rockets ahead of you thereby hitting you more than you hit me.  Shooting at someone who is moving only hits the area behind them.  Also learn to shoot below people if they are jumping the splash can do some pretty nice damage.
 * Learn the refresh times on armor, health, guns and quad damage for the popular maps.  If I can get more armor and mega health than you, in a  straight gun fight you lose. 
 * Learn how to jump and fight accurately.
 * The game is about frag count.  At least, deathmatch is.  He with the most amount of frags wins right?  Then targe the weakest players.   This is not rocket science right? 
 * Practice with bots.  I practice with bots often, then go into the "real world" to see what real people do.  Often times, bots are smarter.

My handle is nedFlanders.  I am not an amazing player, but I am better than some.  Would you accuse dmn_clown or Logan of cheating because they hand your ass to you? 

Whine less, practice more.  Over time you might be able to hand me my ass and I guarantee the first words out of my mouth won't be that you cheated.  It will be gg.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 04:34:02 PM »

I don't think any of the whiners participate in this forum

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
jdodson
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 04:35:55 PM »

I don't think any of the whiners participate in this forum

If they do I just want to open dialog.  I tried on my server but they left too fast to say anything useful.  Worth a shot anyway.
subnet_rx
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 05:26:02 PM »

Is House of Rock the one with Q3DM6ISH where people just spawn camp?

fuzztooth
Administrator
Nub

Cakes 1

OpenArena Announcer and Robut smasher

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 05:34:26 PM »

You do realize how much of a handicap that is that you're playing on localhost.  Might I suggest trying on a neutral, 3rd party server?  Only then can you really start complaining about stuff like this.
Keet
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

"Violent, stingy, schizophrenic..."

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 05:44:38 PM »

I think I'll go practice OA more...XD

Pronouns are evil!

"Violent, stingy, schizophrenic... It sounds... like me!" ~~B.B. Hood

jdodson
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 06:06:32 PM »

You do realize how much of a handicap that is that you're playing on localhost.  Might I suggest trying on a neutral, 3rd party server?  Only then can you really start complaining about stuff like this.

I am not complaining I am suggesting a way they can take to beat me.   And I am not playing on localhost.  The server is a hop away from me.  Sheesh thats totally different Smiley  Seriously, I know I had an advantage as I stated, but its not cheating.

I play on other servers as well, its just that there are not a ton of servers round my area that dont play like a slideshow due to lag.  Thats why I setup my own server.  However, I mostly play on other servers due to more people being on them Smiley
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 06:14:33 PM by jdodson » Logged
jdodson
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 06:10:50 PM »

I think that map is in rotation, let me check...

Nope, that map is not in rotation and has not been.  I have:

set d1 "map oa_rpg3dm2 ;
set d2 "map aggressor ;
set d3 "map dm4ish ;
set d4 "map ce1n7 ;
set d5 "map kaos ;

In rotation.   Its been that way since I first set it up.
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2007, 08:17:05 PM »

I am not that good, I promise.  There are other more seasoned players out there and you can't accuse everyone of cheating because they hand your ass to you on a plate.  The advantage I did have that you did not was that I had a ping of 7.  You have a ping over 150, wherein a good ping to have, mine is better.   

Here are some ideas for you to practice on:

* I learned how you guys moved.  I then anticipated what direction you were moving and shot rockets ahead of you thereby hitting you more than you hit me.  Shooting at someone who is moving only hits the area behind them.  Also learn to shoot below people if they are jumping the splash can do some pretty nice damage.
 * Learn the refresh times on armor, health, guns and quad damage for the popular maps.  If I can get more armor and mega health than you, in a  straight gun fight you lose. 
 * Learn how to jump and fight accurately.
 * The game is about frag count.  At least, deathmatch is.  He with the most amount of frags wins right?  Then targe the weakest players.   This is not rocket science right? 
 * Practice with bots.  I practice with bots often, then go into the "real world" to see what real people do.  Often times, bots are smarter.

My handle is nedFlanders.  I am not an amazing player, but I am better than some.  Would you accuse dmn_clown or Logan of cheating because they hand your ass to you? 

Whine less, practice more.  Over time you might be able to hand me my ass and I guarantee the first words out of my mouth won't be that you cheated.  It will be gg.

Man, you should just let that stuff roll off your back, then frag them all the harder for it Wink

(I need to get some bandwidth so I can be accused of cheating).

subnet_rx
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2007, 11:47:02 PM »

set d1 "map oa_rpg3dm2 ;
set d2 "map aggressor ;
set d3 "map dm4ish ;
set d4 "map ce1n7 ;
set d5 "map kaos ;

Ok, thanks for checking.  I may have the wrong one (or wrong server), but it's the map where there are two buildings separated by a huge grassy area and a water divider in the middle with a bridge.  That map has one spawn area in each building and playing it really sucks.  Everyone just starts disconnecting or going into spectator mode till it's over. 

jdodson
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2007, 12:34:08 PM »

set d1 "map oa_rpg3dm2 ;
set d2 "map aggressor ;
set d3 "map dm4ish ;
set d4 "map ce1n7 ;
set d5 "map kaos ;

Ok, thanks for checking.  I may have the wrong one (or wrong server), but it's the map where there are two buildings separated by a huge grassy area and a water divider in the middle with a bridge.  That map has one spawn area in each building and playing it really sucks.  Everyone just starts disconnecting or going into spectator mode till it's over. 

Wasnt that map removed from the game because of that bug?
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2007, 08:04:26 PM »

No, it was just commented out in the arena.txt file.  There is nothing stopping server admin's from making people play that map.  Don't worry in the next release (if that map isn't removed) there will be different gameplay including a hilarious spawn frag for both teams Cheesy

Azrael
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2007, 12:03:31 AM »

Haha, they were thinking you were cheating?  Wow...I would hate to wonder what they would think if some of the old Q3 gods of yore (they're still playing Q3!) came into openarena...damn, that would be funny.  Those guys are incredible, you know?  Its like they're one with Quake.

"Suffer not the enemy to live - for only in death does duty end."
Jeric Hikari
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

Skeletal Geek

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2007, 01:28:31 PM »

Speaking of which...anyone know if Fatality's still around?
Smithamax
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2007, 05:14:37 PM »

if the server is on your network your going to have a ping of about 2 so anyone with a ping of 100 - 300 is going to find it hard
lol the first time i played logan it was on my server and he had a ping of 300 and the match was even

badmuthahubbard
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2007, 10:03:16 PM »

I don't know, people don't always call each other cheater because they're smart and practiced, sometimes it's because they hit the person with 10 rockets and then died from full health with one machine gun squeeze.  But yes, usually it's because they're smart and practiced.

Another thing I like to do is try my limits for navigating the different maps.  If it's possible to drop down a level where you would normally fall in lava or off into space, I keep trying it until I get a feel for it.  Or if it's possible to drop down 2 levels where you'd normally drop one, and hit someone on the way down, or jump back out of the lava, etc.
I used to tell people playing America's Army that you're not really going to die, so take a chance.
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2007, 04:17:40 AM »

I usually just camp the bfg.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: