Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Screw OA (rail) server  (Read 45204 times)
^TheDoctor^
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2010, 12:09:23 PM »

1# This IP 212.65.13.87:27960 is written on home/statpage Smiley
This was a copy/paste error which is now corrected. Thanks for clarifying.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 12:52:13 PM by ^TheDoctor^ » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2010, 01:14:42 AM »

Aside from the problem that the in-game multiplayer list is generally somewhat inaccessible, it has the design flaw to omit game servers which do not respond to the client's ping. So even if you know the server's name and know it is online, you cannot connect because it won't show up.
Are you sure about that? Do you mean a "classic" ICMP "ping" (echo request) is needed, in order to have a server shown in the in-game browser? If it is this way, it would be better to write something about it DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Multiplayer#Options]here, what do you think?

I strongly suggest to use an external game browser (xqf on Linux does it's job) to create a personal list of favorite game servers. This would enable you to see a list of players currently connected. Of course the OA in-game multiplayer browser supports favorites too, but then not even I know how to add servers to this list. How inaccessible is that?
I wrote how to add a server to "favorite list" here (it took a while also to me to figure out how to do it).
I'm not sure how to do it from command line, instead... but I just read in this useful list of Q3 commands that there are 16 variables, from "server1" to "server16", that should hold the favorites IPs/URLs... (not tested yet... and maybe OpenArena has got more of them?)...

Update: yes, the favorites are stored in variables from "server1" to "server16", so you can have up to 16 favorites. If you try to create a variable like "set server17 ...", it will be ignored by the server browser, so you cannot have more than 16. If you try to add another favorite from the GUI, when you have already used all the 16 slots, you will get no error message (I would call this a "bug"), simply the server will not be added.
I've also noticed that, if you delete a server from the list, the data in those variables will be "reodered" (to have the empy slots at the end) when you exit from the server browser.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 02:26:20 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
^TheDoctor^
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2010, 04:09:52 AM »

the in-game multiplayer list omits game servers which do not respond to the client's ping.
Are you sure about that?

Somewhat Grin. I took a brief look at the sources and it seems to confirm my observations:
Code: (static void ArenaServers_DoRefresh( void ) in q3_ui/ui_servers2.c)
for (i=0; i<MAX_PINGREQUESTS; i++) {
trap_LAN_GetPing( i, adrstr, MAX_ADDRESSLENGTH, &time );
if (!adrstr[0]) {
continue;// ignore empty or pending pings
}
I don't see that servers with pendings pings get added to the list after i has reached MAX_PINGREQUESTS.

Do you mean a "classic" ICMP "ping" (echo request) is needed, in order to have a server shown in the in-game browser?
No, it is probably a "getstatus" request, but be sure to ask someone else before you document this particular information.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2010, 04:42:29 AM »

That unresponsitive servers are not shown is logic... so I don't understand why you consider this "a design flaw".... that maybe would be the case, instead, if it needed the client and server routers/firewalls to allow also ICMP echo requests traffic, other than the OpenArena 29750 (master server) and the main UDP port (27960 or custom).

When I did some tests, I found a situation where my server was not shown in the Deathmask server list (and probably also in the in-game server browser), but was still possible to connect to it manually specifying its IP in the game (manually specifying its ip worked also to see its informations on Dpmaster, like http://dpmaster.deathmask.net/?game=openarena&server=My_server_IP:port).... Then I figured out that when it sent the first "heartbeat" packets to the master server, my router used a random port instead of 27960 (the permanently open port), and the master server then continued to send later packets to that port, but then the temporary connection was already closed.
I wrote about this (and about the option to fix it with my router) DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Multiplayer#Testing]here.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
^TheDoctor^
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2010, 06:18:55 AM »

That unresponsive servers are not shown is logic... so I don't understand why you consider this "a design flaw"
Why aren't the unresponsive servers added with ping 999? With "sort by ping" they would appear at the end of the list. If a game server is in the master list, it ought to be online (although it may not be reachable by the client in rare cases). As getstatus request/responses are sent via UDP, they are not reliable, therefore the absence of a response tells nothing about whether the server is reachable or not. The silent omission of unresponsive game servers seems to cause more confusion than it does help (as demonstrated by the posts above).

Moreover, it seems only a certain number of game server of the master list is probed at the same time. I wouldn't be surprised, if the last game server on the list of the master has less time to respond than the first game server on the list, therefore having a lower chance of appearing on the client's list.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2010, 06:53:05 AM »

So, you would like to show unrensponsitive servers that the master server still finds, but your client not... presuming that, for some reason, they had a packet loss just at the moment of your "hidden serverstatus request" (server list scan), and maybe they could be able to answer after a second try?
Well, with the second try, if they answer, they will be listed anyway... but probably your question is "why should I do a second scan if I don't know that there are x servers that should be there (master server finds them) but did not answer to me the first time?"...

BTW: Do you know if "cl_packetdup" works also in the server browser?

Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2010, 08:37:27 AM »

Do you mean a "classic" ICMP "ping" (echo request) is needed, in order to have a server shown in the in-game browser?
No, it is probably a "getstatus" request, but be sure to ask someone else before you document this particular information.

Yes , it's a getstatus request and the ping delay is extrapolated ( faked ) by the UDP packet ... the engine hasn't ( or at least shouldn't have ) any kind of access to RAW sockets.

BTW: Do you know if "cl_packetdup" works also in the server browser?

I guess no , but I am not sure of it ... all the asyncronous requests ( like getstatus ) should be not duplicated.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2010, 08:36:29 AM »

In a previous post we talked about favorites, and we noticed that there are 16 "favorites" slots (variables), and that if you try to add a new favorite after 16, it seems you get no error message (not even in console). This isn't good. But another question: how can someone delete from the favorites list an unresponsitive (thus, not shown) server from the GUI?

UPDATE: For the last part, I was wrong. Unresponsitive favorite servers are shown, so you can delete them (I just had to set the gametype filter to "all" or "Free for all"). They are shown with ping 800 and protocol ???, with no description (so, the only problem is that you cannot disingush one from the other).

By the way: since the "Multiplayer" interface shows the server description, but not its IP or URL, couldn't it be possible to show it somewhere? For example, when you have one selected, to show its address in the line below "hit refresh to update"... what do you think about it?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 04:44:57 AM by Gig » Logged

^TheDoctor^
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2011, 02:37:57 PM »

Dear ScrewOA players and community members.

Summary: I have to find a new host for the server ScrewOA. If you want to see this server in operation and have the necessary resources (money and/or a host), please consider to provide a new home for it.

Explanation: On January 31st, I was informed by @spi, the owner of Baller Bude, that, because of understandable organizational reasons, the host of Baller Bude will no longer be able to co-host ScrewOA (Corkscrew mod on OpenArena, 212.65.13.87:27962). As this server is close to my heart, I don't want it to perish. However, currently, I absolutely cannot afford to host it on my own expense.

Therefore I ask for you help: If you want to keep this server in operation and have the necessary resources (either a host with available capacities or the money to rent one), please consider to provide a new home for it. I would then offer to install, operate and improve the aforementioned service free of charge.

Necessary requirements:
- a dedicated host (current host was an Intel Pentium 4 CPU 1.80GHz, 1 GB RAM)
- a decent internet connection (24h/day online, static IP, at least 1MBit up-link)
- a Linux-based operating system (current OS is Gentoo)
- shell access
- full administrative freedom w.r.t. the aforementioned server

Please contact me via PM or write an email to oa.doctor (at) gmail.com for further information. My offer to host these services on a foreign host is valid until March 1st 2011. After that, I'll mothball it.

PS: The server went down on February 2nd Cry
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 04:07:01 PM by ^TheDoctor^ » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2011, 11:40:34 AM »

This thing is very sad.    Sad  Sad  Sad
ScrewOA is a good server...

I hope someone may help you. I'm sorry I can't.
No server admins around here?

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2011, 04:50:15 PM »

I linked your message in a new thread in the "general" section of the forum. http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4055.0

I hope this may help in finding someone.

^TheDoctor^
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2011, 11:18:48 AM »

Good news! Thanks to Dmitriy Vin, ScrewOA is back: vindimy.dyndns.info:27960

However, it had to move to Los Angeles in order to survive. The ping is high (for Europeans), but stable (which is necessary for the ping correction to work correctly).
Epicness48
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2011, 09:35:45 AM »

I'll check this out soon.  Looks sweet.  Plus it'll get me practice with a railgun, very good in ctf as I remember. Smiley

In-game, I'm WeepingAngel.
^TheDoctor^
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2012, 07:48:42 PM »

ScrewOA moved to Newark, NJ, west coast (was hosted last in Los Angeles, CA), both courtesy of Dmitriy Vin. Net ping is around 100ms from Central Europe.

\connect newark1.thedimi.net
or \connect 173.255.227.224:27960

Thanks to all who connected this evening/night and turned it into a fragfest, especially Kitty Wink.
Jiminy
Nub

Cakes 0

I like kitten cats. =)

« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2012, 01:18:26 PM »

I'm gonna play on that server simply for your name being a Doctor Who reference! =)
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: