Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Presentation of ROFL servers  (Read 57533 times)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2011, 03:36:16 PM »

Peter, are you talking about DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Game_physics#Fixed_frame_rate_physics]this stuff (I'm sure Cacatoes already knows it) or something different?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2011, 05:56:02 PM »

+1

WikiGig Cheesy
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2011, 06:55:32 AM »

If you talk about the recent discussion GrosBedo and 7 had, I fear they cover something which is out of topic here.

The new physics were born in that topic. I wouldn't be surprised I missed a few points on this.
I don't use "gravity modifier" but I feel its use is dangerous when maps use particular gravity settings (let's be honest, I know very few use some) and I'm not so convinced it's the right approach.

Todo: Walk the cat.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2011, 07:23:56 AM »

When Sago introduced pmove_float, he told that one has to set g_gravity to ~756 (with accurate physics) to make user experience similar to "fixed" 125fps. Obviously, it was related with standard 800 gravity... is there a formula to know how one should set g_gravity to emulate 125 fps on maps that have a default gravity different than 800?

Something like:
map gravity 600 * x/y = g_gravity Z
map gravity 800 * x/y = g_gravity 756
map gravity 900 * x/y = g_gravity Z...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2011, 07:43:27 AM »

I fear it's more empirical than a formula. If it was a formula, it could have been implemented directly in the game.

Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2011, 09:18:45 AM »

i would say that the basic settings should be an emulated fps 125 setting on servers.
as soon as you play more often, you like the jumps which can be done with fps 125 (and can´t be done with fps 85 - like the jump on oasago2 which brings you up to the rail platform or many other trixxxx).

but these are just my 2 cents Cheesy

Cakes 7

Is 7 up?

« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2011, 10:20:21 AM »

i would say that the basic settings should be an emulated fps 125 setting on servers.

This has the major disadvantage that every client with com_maxfps < 125 will skip.

The best way to go IMHO is pmove_float + g_gravitymodifier because this allows every player to make the high jumps independent of their com_maxfps setting and without skipping.

As for the formula: the formula is kind of hard because the same 125 com_maxfps gives you higher than standard jumps at g_gravity 800 but lower than standard jumps at g_gravity 600, so you'd either have to really mathematically model the cumulative error of the pmove function, or you have to measure the 125 fps jump heights for all possible g_gravity settings and then calculate a huge Taylor polynomial from the results. The first solution is hard to do, the second is a lot of work and makes for a very unwieldy formula that wouldn't fit on a single sheet of paper.

The best solution is to simply set g_gravitymodifier to 0.945 (or 0.9475 which I use) and ignore the off map where g_gravity isn't set to 800. Your players will jump higher than with standard 125 fps physics on those maps so they probably won't complain much. Wink

I'm on the ten most wanted list, I've got it dead in the groove.
My face is on every wanted poster in town, for the way I move.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2011, 10:53:21 AM »

7, what about adding something to the "game physics" wiki page (in the section about accurate physics) about how to set g_gravity or g_gravitymodifier to emulate 125 fps physics... specifying that the result will the one expected only for maps designed to work with standard 800 gravity?

Another thing... in the page about server bandwidth, we did not mention that in case of accurate physics it could be good to give some more bandwith... but I don't know how much...

Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2011, 01:19:07 PM »

The best solution is to simply set g_gravitymodifier to 0.945 (or 0.9475 which I use)

Did you set up online servers 7 ? I wasn't aware of that.

Cakes 7

Is 7 up?

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2011, 01:33:36 AM »

7, what about adding something to the "game physics" wiki page (in the section about accurate physics) about how to set g_gravity or g_gravitymodifier to emulate 125 fps physics...

Will do in the weekend.

Another thing... in the page about server bandwidth, we did not mention that in case of accurate physics it could be good to give some more bandwith... but I don't know how much...

I don't either. I think it's best to ask Sago about that.

Did you set up online servers 7 ? I wasn't aware of that.

I've got a few LAN 1v1 servers running. Once or twice a month I invite over some friends from the competitive Q3 days and we drown the night in beer and frags. I don't play online that much, I'm a zero-ping addict Smiley

I'm on the ten most wanted list, I've got it dead in the groove.
My face is on every wanted poster in town, for the way I move.
Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2011, 08:43:02 AM »

Restarted the server, deleted the files which filled up space, hopefully it will make the server behave better (less lag ?), made some file-system checks.

And changed a few stuff in map rotation on instagib server in order to bring out of the annoyance ...

Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2011, 11:25:14 AM »

Could you plz post the current map rotation on insta and rockets?
Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2011, 12:59:11 PM »

INSTAGIB:

Code:
//instantgib#3
// CTF rotation de map
seta g_gametype 4
seta bot_minplayers 2
set d1 "g_instantgib 1; g_gametype 4; map ps9ctf; set nextmap vstr d2"
set d2 "g_instantgib 0; g_gametype 9; map ctf_inyard; set nextmap vstr d3"
set d3 "g_instantgib 1; g_gametype 4; map ps37ctf; set g_gravity 790; set nextmap vstr d4"
set d4 "g_instantgib 2; g_gametype 4; map oasago2; set nextmap vstr d5"
set d5 "g_instantgib 2; g_gametype 4; map pul1ctf; set nextmap vstr d6"

set d6  "g_instantgib 1; g_gametype 4; map ps9ctf; set nextmap vstr d7"
set d7  "g_instantgib 0; g_gametype 9; map oa_ctf4ish; set nextmap vstr d8"
set d8  "g_instantgib 2; g_gametype 4; map ps37ctf; set g_gravity 790; set nextmap vstr d9"
set d9  "g_instantgib 1; g_gametype 4; map oasago2; set nextmap vstr d10"
set d10 "g_instantgib 1; g_gametype 4; map pul1ctf; set nextmap vstr d1"

vstr d6

ALLROCKETS:
Code:
// CTF Rockets, rotation de maps

fraglimit 2
timelimit 20

set g_gametype 4
set bot_minplayers 1

set d1 "g_gametype 4; map oa_ctf4ish; set nextmap vstr d2"
set d2 "g_gametype 4; map ps37ctf; g_gravity 790 ; set nextmap vstr d3"
set d3 "g_gametype 4; map oasago2; set nextmap vstr d4"
set d4 "g_gametype 4; map ps9ctf; set nextmap vstr d5"

set d5 "g_gametype 4; map oa_ctf4ish; set nextmap vstr d6"
set d6 "g_gametype 4; map ps37ctf; g_gravity 790 ; set nextmap vstr d7"
set d7 "g_gametype 4; map oasago2; set nextmap vstr d8"
set d8 "g_gametype 4; map ctf_inyard; set nextmap vstr d9"

set d9 "g_gametype 4; map oa_ctf4ish; set nextmap vstr d10"
set d10 "g_gametype 4; map ps37ctf; g_gravity 790 ; set nextmap vstr d11"
set d11 "g_gametype 4; map oasago2; set nextmap vstr d12"
set d12 "g_gametype 4; map pul1ctf; set nextmap vstr d1"

//set d5 "g_gametype 10; map wrackdm17; set nextmap vstr d1"

vstr d1

Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2011, 01:05:10 PM »

maybe you could another rotation for insta with gate1 inside?
if i remember crrect, gate1 was fun to play in insta sometimes.
also oa_spirit2 could get a good choice.

btw: i dislike elimination in the insta rotation, but thats just my .02€
Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2011, 01:27:17 PM »

I was thinking about gate1 too (and forgot), and I forgot too about oa_spirit, I'll take it into consideration for some next update :p (which could come soon if I see elimination rounds don't go well)

Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2011, 10:25:46 PM »

+1
SooKee
Nub

Cakes 5

« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2011, 06:31:20 AM »

I love mlctf1beta. Any chance of getting this onto ROFL insta CTF?  Grin

http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=2990.0

- SooKee QuakeNet: #openarenahelp
Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2011, 06:45:07 AM »

With next OA version Wink

It's not in stock OA for now.

Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2011, 12:16:28 PM »

Meisterlampe said, that they do not have any bot support.
does somebody knows why?
maybe this could be fixed till the release?
Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2011, 08:32:23 AM »

Big server reinstall will happen this afternoon for INSTAGIB/ALLROCKETS/CTF4ISH

I save conf files, try to make them nicer, and will shut down the whole thing. Then some new O.S. will be installed, and I'll have to set things back.
People who had admin rights on the server will likely lose them but they're a few and I'll be able to add them again.

Edit1-19:22: had some root password issue again, fixed. Currently updating the system.
Edit2-20:30: update takes a bit of time but servers are able to run. I cleaned/tried to modularize config files, little improvement but didn't work as I expected (servers can't seem to execute .cfg files outside of baseoa). Instantgib temporarily running as a test.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 01:34:29 PM by Cacatoes » Logged

grey matter

Cakes 8

>9k

« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2011, 02:07:05 PM »

The engine can only load files from within its virtual filesystem. If it would not do so, this'd break the pk3 system as well as impose a security risk.

You should however be able to load arbitrary files from within $fs_game and BASEGAME. If you are running a mod (fs_game) but can not access files within its directories (home- and basepath), this'd be a bug.

Sorry for all the offtopic noise, this just caught my eye Smiley

This space is for rent.
Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2011, 02:30:16 PM »

You did well.
Was a bit bored with the directory tree, like ./openarena/server1/baseoa/server1.cfg ... it makes editing uncomfortable. Had some "common" .cfg files for the several OA instances, and can't put them in something like ./openarena/common/

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2011, 02:34:14 PM »

Cacatoes, please explain better the problem the problem with executing cfg files. Are you sure it isn't simply the old problem with ioquake3 autocomplete feature, that does not work for files outside pk3s after you enter a game? This should be already fixed if you are using OA executable version 23. But manually specifying the configuration file name should work also with 0.8.5 executables.

Uhm... reading you last post, maybe you are referring to a totally different thing... what about creating file systems links to other files? I'm not a Linux expert, but I know it supports various kinds of file links (soft links, hard links)... maybe one of them may allow you to trick the system and make it load a file physically from another directory? Just a guess...

Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2011, 02:39:05 PM »

Yep, symlinking is what I did.

Now I've regained control on the server I might add further improvements... hmm, thinking of it, I'm unsure what to add :p

Edit: talked too quick, "regained control", I'll turn mad with it, just rebooted and no ssh access anymore, have to deal with the hoster's solution to regain control which is always a hassle.
Edit2: with the kernel they provide, I get a "connection refused" with ssh. With the distribution kernel, I get some kind of ssh timeout. I fortunately still have access to some rescue mode with which I can check log files but I start not knowing where to check.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 03:18:48 PM by Cacatoes » Logged

Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2011, 04:30:17 PM »

Update takes more time than expected.

After cleaning my java installation in order to get some shitty applet working, I finally realized I'm suffering the problem mentionned here: http://forum.ovh.com/showthread.php?t=72961

ROFL Instagib / Allrockets / ctf 4 fishes are down at the moment.

I fear I'll have to reinstall the whole system again, this time, not updating it, then I'll investigate about switching to some other virtualization offer which would support more recent kernels & distributions.

Edit-23:50: Reinstalling the system ...
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 04:52:00 PM by Cacatoes » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: