Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Problem whit textures  (Read 34690 times)
epep
Nub

Cakes -6

PARKOUR !

« on: June 10, 2010, 12:01:36 PM »

ok... hello friends... when you download a map front internet to open arena... u will see a texture in black and white what have scares if you see the back ground u will se the scuares... who know a form to my open arena can read the original textures.... we see that in very much custom maps.... who know how to fix it ?

Peter!!--->
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 12:14:06 PM »

Probably you downloaded a map for Quake 3 Arena. Not all textures have been replaced yet (100% texture compatibilty is a goal for OpenArena 0.9.0). Meanwhile, there are some third-part texture packs, that try to fill this gap, even if with some low quality textures, that are still better than the black and white "missing texture".... Take a look here.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 01:03:04 PM »

Gig is right, OpenArena still misses a lot of textures. But not all of them! So if you can take such a screenshot, then maybe there's something wrong with the map. Did you put the whole pk3 into baseoa not just the bsp file? Also what's this player model and weapon? Is it not the mod you are using which makes the textures disappear?

http://udionline.hu/en/projektek/openarena/
Todo list: 1. q3dm17 textures replacement (95% done)
epep
Nub

Cakes -6

PARKOUR !

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 02:39:38 PM »

thanks a loot dude.... you help me vry much whit that... no i can play and see very nice the maps... Smiley

Peter!!--->
WaspKiller
Bigger member

Cakes 8

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 08:56:45 PM »

...Jackthompson did a replacement package with dummy textures: http://rapidshare.com/files/141941180/gpl-q3a2oa-textures_v4.zip.html...

Epep, Gig and Graion Dilach, there is a more recent and complete replacement package (z-gpl-q3a2oa-textures-v5.pk3) by JackThompson.

http://oa.goquake.com/servers/z-gpl-q3a2oa-textures-v5.pk3

Just in case anyone asks... the file should be placed into the baseoa directory or for those who do not play baseoa, the directory of your Mod.

Calm is for LOSERS!  ANGER fuels my game and btw you're NEXT!
Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 03:15:44 AM »

This v5 is Speaker's pack.

It had too many problems around licensing, that's why I didn't recommended it.

Also, this pack was the main element of that development argument which ended with Q3Min.

I know that the v4 doesn't contain real textures, but that covers everything as well.

One shall remind what have he left behind... to actually realize that it's still cool.
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 07:01:05 AM »

And it's 500KB, not 25MB.
It's boring to download 25MB each time I connect to server for a file I already have (so, yes, I leave and copy it manually ...).

This is meant to be a little fix, something handy, not some serious work. If it was serious work, then it should have found its way into OA.
Unfortunately, every server I see use that 25MB pack, just to fix the 2 or 3 missing textures of the 2 Q3 maps they have in rotation.

I hosted some of these files here: http://download.tuxfamily.org/openarena/files/pk3/q3a2oa/

Todo: Walk the cat.
WaspKiller
Bigger member

Cakes 8

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 08:14:23 AM »

This v5 is Speaker's pack...

Thanks for the correction.  I have read the readme.txt in the package so I should have remembered that.

...It had too many problems around licensing, that's why I didn't recommended it.

Also, this pack was the main element of that development argument which ended with Q3Min...

C'est la vie!  That's too political for me so I won't venture there.  I just want a solution that works - damn the torpedoes!

And it's 500KB, not 25MB.
It's boring to download 25MB each time I connect to server for a file I already have...

I can understand that size would still be an issue for some but why would an experienced player like you need to download it more than once?

Unfortunately, every server I see use that 25MB pack, just to fix the 2 or 3 missing textures of the 2 Q3 maps they have in rotation.

Then our needs are simply different, because my favorite six OA Servers use only two standard maps - oasago2 and wrackdm17 - but 46 custom maps.

Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 08:37:59 AM »

Marco (Evil|**HD) started making textures for oaUnofficial. He contacted me about my workflow, this and other things convinced me that their project is fully GPL (and OA) compatible. After that I found another guy on the Quake3World.com site who is working on a hi-res GPL texture pack too. I left a message on the board (maybe I should send a PM), and still waiting for his answer of the details of his project and whether he's ready to join us.

But I also thought about seperating the texture project from the OA project, making a separate SVN, releases etc. It would have the disadvantage of less control, but I think some participiants could still enforce the stirct laws of GPL and sources. It would bring the advantage of joining the artists of different projects: OA, Defrag standalone, baseioq3, Netradiant etc. What do you think?

Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 09:29:32 AM »

Sounds good for me.
Cracking down in many little pieces could increase development.
- engine project
- mod projects
- texture project
- model roject
- sound project
- map project

As - for example - a new map is published, there could be a new map.pak version avaliable while the others stay at their recent versions.
And the main project could do a full release if neccesary.
**HD
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2010, 09:30:38 AM »

Udi, i am not that optimistic you are about this high res texturepack you mentioned. The author himself pointed out, that he wont put much effort in single textures, since he has to create several hundrets of textures (so he is working on quantity, not on quality). Most of those textures are looking much too beveled. On the other hand you can see that some textures are created based on photo references, so we will see after the release how accurate he documents the sources, whether this texturepack can be used in a gpl game or not (see speakers pack).  

I wont say that i can do it better, i am still a noob to gimp, but at least i will try  to improve my skills within the next months to create a few good looking textures rather than a bunch of half-good looking textures.

I am not quite sure about this separat gpl textures svn, since it will be a lot of work to maintain it and to keep it clean from copyright infridgements, but if someone would put this effort into it, yes a gpl svn would be nice Smiley
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 01:05:00 PM by **HD » Logged
Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2010, 02:25:38 PM »

so we will see after the release how accurate he documents the sources, whether this texturepack can be used in a gpl game or not (see speakers pack).

Agreed. And even if he has a lot of well-documented PSD files, Photoshop sources are not the best for future work. But even if it's license-infringing and low quality, it's still there and it's already the second package out there. I don't know how long we can manage to keep players here without the 'real' GPLv2 hi-res package. So if there's a slight chance of gaining an artist or his resources, I would like to take it.

Anyway, I will finish my exams by the end of June, after that I can continue the work on the textures. I will contact you about the way of collaboration (SVN or not). It would be cool to make some progress in the summer (Q3Min development will continue in autumn).

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2010, 01:06:42 AM »

Most of those textures are looking much too beveled.

And too similar too

As for the SVN, i'm extremely limited to what I can do with the OA svn especially after the downtime.  I really wish I could add users.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2010, 03:15:59 AM »

As for the SVN, i'm extremely limited to what I can do with the OA svn especially after the downtime.  I really wish I could add users.

Why not hosting the svn on one of the big oss project sites?
It is their job to offer infrastructure and services...
Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2010, 04:06:58 AM »

+1

This project has been a bit shy, overcontrolled, and seemed to be sticked to some technical limitations which have few reasons to be. Make it more open Smiley
People didn't show much interest to this topic.

Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2010, 05:16:21 AM »

I would like to see a real svn (on mancubus i have just a 404).
With access for different ppl in different areas.

Maybe this could also lead to a merger with oaUnofficial, which could be in the same repository under a mod directory...
**HD
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2010, 07:08:13 AM »

I have begun to make a WIP thread for my textures on our mod forum here http://www.evilarena.de/development/wip/ , so if Udi or anybody else has some ideas or critique how to improve stuff, i would be glad. In the graphic section there is as well a thread with texture issues i cant solve yet, ideas are welcome as well.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2010, 08:11:12 AM »

I would like to see a real svn (on mancubus i have just a 404).
With access for different ppl in different areas.

Maybe this could also lead to a merger with oaUnofficial, which could be in the same repository under a mod directory...
Seems like the last attack wiped out that. U_U

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
**HD
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2010, 09:00:48 AM »

And too similar too

Too similar to the q3 textures ? Is this kind of rebuilding textures already some kind of copyright infridgements, or is it just not welcome in openarena, because you want to make a game distinguable from q3 ?
Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2010, 09:09:29 AM »

hmmmm...
i am getting older and older i guess.
Did i miss something?
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2010, 09:11:06 AM »

And too similar too

Too similar to the q3 textures ? Is this kind of rebuilding textures already some kind of copyright infridgements, or is it just not welcome in openarena, because you want to make a game distinguable from q3 ?
Content-wise, (textures, models, sounds, etc) that's the idea. For Quake-like stuff, there's already Quake Live.

See this: http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=3512.0

hmmmm...
i am getting older and older i guess.
Did i miss something?
http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=3774.0

That.

EDIT: Although I can still see the SVN at openarena.ws/svn, but not via mancubus.net/svn/openarena. Oh, and ohloh seems to have a track of what changes and what not.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2010, 01:06:14 PM »

Content-wise, (textures, models, sounds, etc) that's the idea. For Quake-like stuff, there's already Quake Live.

We're talking about making replacements for Q3 textures in order to play on Q3 maps.
Making them differerent than Q3 would be a big joke, they have to be similar, and they have not to infringe copyright.

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2010, 03:06:57 PM »

Making them differerent than Q3 would be a big joke,

What's wrong of going anti-derivative? Do we need the same exact metal plate shapes, red symbols and door patterns?

Why not hosting the svn on one of the big oss project sites?
It is their job to offer infrastructure and services...
fuzztooth wants me to stick to the resources provided by this site. He doesn't like the wiki being on Wikia either. Sad

And personally i've had bad experience with Sourceforge, Gna! and even Google code.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
WaspKiller
Bigger member

Cakes 8

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2010, 03:17:33 PM »

Making them different than Q3 would be a big joke,

What's wrong of going anti-derivative? Do we need the same exact metal plate shapes, red symbols and door patterns?

No, they do not need to be exact but it would be best if they were similar like Cacatoes said.

The reason why they should be kept similar is that the mere seeming simple change to textures, colors, shades, hues, etc, changes the appearance of the map.  If affects the illusion of how long or deep the map surfaces are.  I see this at times even when using a complete replacement package like Speaker's much less to some hastily made derivative.

If you're going to do it, do it right!  If not, leave it to outsiders to do legally or illegally.

Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2010, 04:05:14 PM »

I suppose main point is they don't have inconsistencies, and for maps to keep the same feeling. The closer the less risky, but It's up to what texture makers can achieve.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: