Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: DIGICHALK 0.8.5 Announcement  (Read 19822 times)
Logan

Cakes 2

I'm one of those Canadians you've heard about

« on: June 17, 2010, 01:40:56 AM »

Hello,

This is your somewhat friendly co-admin of Digichalk 0.8.5 here.

I'm not the ADMIN, that's SPUD.

I'd just like to announce that we recently changed a setting in the server.

This server is now PURE.

This has been changed because several people have been having connection issues. I have a feeling that the server being UNPURE was causing problems.

Open Arena is still picky it seems about things like that, so we'll just avoid the hassle and make it pure.

Unfortunatly this means we can no longer use custom models in the server which was the main reason why the server was originally UNPURE.

Sad but true. At least for me and the handful of other players who know how to use custom models...

Well I just thought I'd mention it.

See you in Digichalk 0.8.5.  Grin

*Logan*

Let Me Kill You In Open Arena--> Digichalk 0.8.5
Let Me Kill You In Quake Live--> Logan26
Half-Nub

Cakes 10

Also known as Dots & cookies

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 08:32:40 AM »

Only thing i liked about Digichalk besides the friendly players was being able to use brightskins. Oh well.  Sad
Logan

Cakes 2

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 02:48:40 PM »

Ya, well hopefully in the next release of Open Arena, some of these connection problems will go away and we'll try and run an UNPURE server again.

*Logan*

WaspKiller
Bigger member

Cakes 8

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 09:29:10 PM »

...this means we can no longer use custom models in the server which was the main reason why the server was originally UNPURE.

Sad but true. At least for me and the handful of other players who know how to use custom models...

Well I just thought I'd mention it.

See you in Digichalk 0.8.5.  Grin

Hhhmmm...

What "pure" does and does not do was always a source of confusion for many admins and players in Q3.  I can't say with any certainty how OA works regarding "pure" but in Q3 there was a common misconception that you could not have additional custom maps that the server did not have, that you could not use custom crosshairs, that you could not use custom models, etc.

Now it is true that certain custom maps and custom models caused issues because of shaders that they contained but, for the most part, as long as the server had the items the players could utilize them.

In fact, there is a web site that's been up for many years which still offers admins and clients "pure server crosshair packs."  Note, these do not work in CPMA or Excessive Plus 2.0a+ because the crosshair naming scheme in the "gfx/2d" directory is different from those used in baseq3/baseoa.

Calm is for LOSERS!  ANGER fuels my game and btw you're NEXT!
Logan

Cakes 2

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 12:01:45 AM »

I've never been confused since 1999.

That's exactly what pure and unpure does wasp.

You can't use any custom models, maps, files of any sort unless the server has them when PURE is turned on.

When PURE is OFF, you can use all the custom stuff you want, (besides maps) and as long as someone else has the same files, such as a model, they can see it as well.

*Logan*

WaspKiller
Bigger member

Cakes 8

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 03:08:35 AM »

I've never been confused since 1999.

That's exactly what pure and unpure does wasp.

You can't use any custom models, maps, files of any sort unless the server has them when PURE is turned on.

When PURE is OFF, you can use all the custom stuff you want, (besides maps) and as long as someone else has the same files, such as a model, they can see it as well.

If, as we both agree, you can use custom stuff as long as it is on the server, then what is the point of this Thread!?

Leave the custom models in place (if they are already on the server) or have the admin add them per request to the server.  Perhaps he can compress (rar,zip, etc.) a bunch of custom models and have players download the file.  Players with the custom models get to see them and players without them see a substitute.

Calm is for LOSERS!  ANGER fuels my game and btw you're NEXT!
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 03:21:44 AM »

I think "pure" also does some additional checks about consistency, right? I remember, when I tested some un-finished maps, that I had to disable pure to be able to access them (for example, to access a CTF map in development that still has oly "red" spawn points...)

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Logan

Cakes 2

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 02:34:46 AM »

I think "pure" also does some additional checks about consistency, right? I remember, when I tested some un-finished maps, that I had to disable pure to be able to access them (for example, to access a CTF map in development that still has oly "red" spawn points...)

Hmm yes, sometimes people will drop with the message:

"so and so disconnected, invalid PK3 files referenced!"

*Logan*

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 02:57:03 AM »

I think "pure" also does some additional checks about consistency, right? I remember, when I tested some un-finished maps, that I had to disable pure to be able to access them (for example, to access a CTF map in development that still has only "red" spawn points...)
Pure ensures that the client load files that are compatible with the server. This also stops the client from loading development files (files not in pk3). The game can still read/write txt, dat and cfg files outside the pk3-files.

It is sv_pure that ensures that the 0.8.5 patch pk3 is disabled when joining 0.8.1 servers. It also removes people without the 0.8.5 patch (and with autodownload disabled) when joining a 0.8.5 server because it cannot guarantee that it works. The disconnect message is very unfortunate because it gives no idea on the real problem (in this case the missing patch).

There are nothing offending in my posts.
SILVERFOX
Nub

Cakes 1

Long live Open Arena

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 05:32:23 PM »

Back to the Suit
sittingduck
Half-Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 12:32:54 AM »

Custom models and brightskins with sv_pure 1 is simply a matter of putting the models and skins on the server.
As long as the client's versions of the models and skins match, they will work.
Logan

Cakes 2

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2010, 03:14:39 AM »

Custom models and brightskins with sv_pure 1 is simply a matter of putting the models and skins on the server.

Correct. Grin

*Logan*

sittingduck
Half-Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 01:41:34 PM »

Correct. Grin
Which makes this:
Unfortunatly this means we can no longer use custom models in the server which was the main reason why the server was originally UNPURE.
Incorrect.
Logan

Cakes 2

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 03:09:50 AM »

Well duck, it IS correct because we don't plan on adding any custom models to the server side...

BTW you bailed again mid game today...It's been a while, you ever gonna finish a match with me?  Wink

*Logan*

Logan

Cakes 2

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2010, 12:56:09 AM »

I'd like to add something important about the server.

As far as I know, we have the 0.8.5 patch installed. If you don't have this patch, you will get an error about invalid PK3 files.

This means, get the patch or your not getting in.

Just thought I'd mention this, as I've noticed quite a few people getting denied entrance with this message, and I believe I read somewhere that this message has to do with the missing patch.

*Logan*

sittingduck
Half-Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2011, 02:35:41 PM »

Well duck, it IS correct because we don't plan on adding any custom models to the server side...

BTW you bailed again mid game today...It's been a while, you ever gonna finish a match with me?  Wink
haha! You're hilarious.... Project much?  Tongue
BTW, why did you unfriend me right after this match?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh6siIPTN3o&hd=1
I hope I did not humiliate you so badly you quit, I haven't seen you in OA or QL for a long time.

SILVERFOX
Nub

Cakes 1

Long live Open Arena

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2011, 07:23:59 PM »

Duck how much did you pay the sit in for Logan LOL LOL . Could Be Any Nube Nube like you.  Logan have pity on the s oops duck.

sittingduck
Half-Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2011, 10:56:08 PM »

Duck how much did you pay the sit in for Logan LOL LOL . Could Be Any Nube Nube like you.  Logan have pity on the s oops duck.
LOL! Sorry to disappoint you, that's his QL account, that was him.  Grin
BlankA.
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2011, 09:56:38 PM »

He de-friended me as well (dunno why, maybe I Ducked him  Azn); maybe now he'll friend me again as I'm pure rusty @QL and hopeless now at OA Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: