Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Flight Item  (Read 29827 times)
Logan

Cakes 2

I'm one of those Canadians you've heard about

« on: July 06, 2010, 04:29:51 AM »

Hello,

I was wondering if someone could post a picture of the "flight" item?

No maps have it as far as I know, but It's been mentioned around the forums here and It's gotten me curious.

Has this item even been modelled?

*Logan*

Let Me Kill You In Open Arena--> Digichalk 0.8.5
Let Me Kill You In Quake Live--> Logan26
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 06:24:43 AM »

It's present in q3dm19 in multiplayer mode.

In OA, ATM no released map has it, but two of my maps make use of it: am_spacecont (it's hidden) and am_thornish.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 08:24:51 AM »

It's in bfgground on top of one of the bases, not sure where I got that map though (noone seems to have it, only bfgarena or something).
Thoushaltdie
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 08:37:12 PM »

on the server "arle's outer heaven" there is a map called mctf. it is on this map in two places, in the far corners on the bedposts.(u need to rocket jump to them) Cheesy

Victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none!
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 12:24:42 AM »

Here, in the "maps" folder, there is an "item_test" map with all items from Vanilla (base) Q3 inside (all weapons, all ammo boxes, all health/armor, all powerups... but if I'm not wrong there are no flags).

I think we should create a similar map, putting inside also all the items (weapons, usable objects, team powerup) from Team Arena...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Logan

Cakes 2

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 12:27:09 AM »

In OA, ATM no released map has it, but two of my maps make use of it: am_spacecont (it's hidden) and am_thornish.

Any chance you could post a picture of the item?

It's not like I'm new or something, I'm fully aware this item is in Quake 3 and I have used it many times.

What I want to SEE is the item itself, the way it looks in Open Arena.

Hopefully this item will be in at least one stock map for next release.

I suppose I could also just download your map and go look..but I'm at work. :p

*Logan*

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 02:21:21 AM »

What I want to SEE is the item itself, the way it looks in Open Arena.
Download the "item_test" map I mentioned before. Because it is not packaged in a pk3 file, probably you have to manually place the .bsp file in a "baseoa\maps" folder, and launch it with "devmap item_test" (or "map item_test") after having set "dedicated 0" "sv_pure 0".
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 06:13:05 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Logan

Cakes 2

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 05:25:30 AM »

That sounds slightly complicated. Can I not just download the file, and then run it from the console?

Either way, I will try this later, and I might even post an image of the item HERE.

*Logan*

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 06:12:02 AM »

It is not so difficult. Follow me. Are you using Windows?
- Go here.
- Click on "maps/", then on "item_test.bsp": download that file to your desktop.
- Go to the folder where you installed OpenArena (for example C:\program files\OpenArena), or the folder where your game settings and autodownloaded files are stored (%appdata%\OpenArena): for Windows XP it is C:\Documents and settings\username\application data\OpenArena. Simply if you put the map under your installation folder, it will be available for all the users of your machine, ad if you place it under your "%appdata%" folder, it will be available only for you.
- Under your OpenArena folder, go inside the "baseoa" folder and create a sub-folder called "maps" there.
- Move the previously downloaded "item_test.bsp" file from your desktop to that "OpenArena\baseoa\maps" folder.
- Start OpenArena
- Pull down its console and type /sv_pure 0 (if you don't do this, you will get an error when trying to load the map: sv_pure prevents from using maps that are are not correctly packaged inside pk3 files)
- Type /map item_test
- You will enter the map. Unless you have previously downloaded some third-part texture compatibility pack (I don't know if that would work anyway, it depends if the map used standard Q3A textures of some new added by "q3min"), you will see all the walls black and white. Don't worry about this. We are interested about the items.
- Go to the last room, where there are "portable medkit" and "personal teleporter".
- After some seconds, there should appear the various power-ups (quad damage, flight, etc.)

- When you quit the game, it is a good idea to enable /sv_pure 1 again.
Bye!

Logan

Cakes 2

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 06:14:20 AM »

Thanks for the walkthrough I'll do this later today

*Logan*

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 06:19:48 AM »

I'll take a screenshot today.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 07:22:40 AM »

Pics in am_thornish:

1. The original place of the item.
2. The item itself.
3. The HUD while holding the item.

Logan

Cakes 2

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 12:46:47 AM »

Pics in am_thornish:

Thank you so much. You are clearly quicker on the draw. Cakes and kudos.  Grin

Well, it's nice to see that the item appears less "pink" than the quake 3 version. Looks metallic and glossy, very nice.

*Logan*

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2010, 12:55:36 PM »

A question about the "Flight" item: in the "Item_test" map (see my previous posts), it lasts 60 seconds unlike the other powerups, that last 30 seconds. Same thing if I test the map under Q3A or under OA.
But in Q3DM19 the strange thing is that it lasts 30 seconds there. This means that there must me some way to customize the duration of the powerups. Someone knows how?
Note: If you want to test in Q3DM19, remember that the item is removed in g_gametype 2 (single player deathmatch) in that map!

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2010, 01:08:27 PM »

But in Q3DM19 the strange thing is that it lasts 30 seconds there. This means that there must me some way to customize the duration of the powerups. Someone knows how?
This can be changed by the map author by changing the "count" key on the item.

From the description file:
Flight power-up. Lasts 60 seconds.
-------- KEYS --------
wait : time in seconds before item respawns after being picked up (default 120, -1 = never respawn).
random : random time variance in seconds added or subtracted from "wait" delay (default 0 - see Notes).
count : time in seconds power-up will last when picked up (default 60).
team : set this to team items. Teamed items will respawn randomly after team master is picked up (see Notes).
target : picking up the item will trigger the entity this points to.
targetname : a target_give entity can point to this for respawn freebies.
notfree : when set to 1, entity will not spawn in "Free for all" and "Tournament" modes.
notteam : when set to 1, entity will not spawn in "Teamplay" and "CTF" modes.
notsingle : when set to 1, entity will not spawn in Single Player mode (bot play mode).
notbot : used to make an item invisible for bot attraction.
gametype : the valid values are ffa, tournament, single, team, ctf, oneflag, obelisk, harvester, elimination, ctfelimination, lms, dd, dom. Once a value for this key is set, it will ONLY appear in the listed gametype(s). Separate gametypes by commas.
-------- SPAWNFLAGS --------
SUSPENDED : item will spawn where it was placed in map and won't drop to the floor.
-------- NOTES --------
The amount of time it takes for an item in the team to respawn is determined by the "wait" value of the item that was picked up previously. So if one of the items in the team has it's "wait" key set to -1 (never respawn), the random respawning cycle of the teamed items will stop after that item is picked up.

When the random key is set, its value is used to calculate a minimum and a maximum delay. The final time delay will be a random value anywhere between the minimum and maximum values: (min delay = wait - random) (max delay = wait + random).

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2010, 01:15:01 PM »

Could you please write about this DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Mapping]here? Than you vey much!

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2010, 04:15:04 PM »

Where is that description file you mentioned here?
Do you think I can copy-paste that descriptions from there to the Wiki?

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2011, 08:51:22 AM »

Where is that description file you mentioned here?
Do you think I can copy-paste that descriptions from there to the Wiki?
It's located in the GTKRadiant folder. You go to <GTKRadiant>\oa\baseoa\entities.def or entities.ent and <GTKRadiant>\oa\missionpack\entities.def or entities.ent.

EDIT: Sorry for the late reply, but I didn't saw this topic since my last reply.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2011, 01:51:11 PM »

No problem, I haven't even set up GTK R for OA (still waiting that someone may update the wiki pages with the istructions).
At the moment, I'm trying to learn Q3 Radiant... and then will try to switch to GTK...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: