Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: starting server  (Read 21373 times)
Zarrl
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: July 10, 2010, 04:47:38 AM »

My server is having problems

server.cfg
=====================
set sv_hostname "Zarrl"
set sv_maxclients 4
set sv_master "dpmaster.deathmask.net"
set sv_pure 1
set g_motd "Welcome"
set g_forcerespawn 10
set rconpassword ""
set g_gametype 4
set capturelimit 8
set timelimit 10
set g_delaghitscan 1
set m1 "map oa_bases3; set nextmap vstr m2"
set m2 "map oa_bases5; set nextmap vstr m3"
set m3 "map oa_bases7; set nextmap vstr m4"
vstr m1
=====================

Start
=====================
C:\oa085\oa_ded.exe +set dedicated 2 +set net_ip 10.1.1.6 +set net_port 27960 +exec server.cfg
=====================

what comes up
=====================
resolving dpmaster.deathmask.net <IPv4>
dpmaster.deathmask.net resolved to 64.22.107.125:27950
sending heartbeat to dpmaster.deathmask
=====================

I let it run to see if it loaded but every 5mins or so this comes up as a new line.

=====================
=====================

anyone know how to fix this i think it may have something to do with my NAT conection or something im not realy sure new to this.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 04:49:19 AM »

My server is having problems
What problems?

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Zarrl
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 04:51:37 AM »

this is all that happens isnt more supposed to happen.

i think this because it isnt showing on master server
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 04:55:44 AM »

i think this because it isnt showing on master server
Ok, so one of the problems is that it isn't showing on the master server that can be NAT related considering your IP address.

But the first problem to look at is: Can you join the game?

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Zarrl
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 04:57:25 AM »

How do i know what the server ip is?

is it the one i put at the top

because im geussing with the net_ip
Zarrl
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 04:58:19 AM »

is it the one on my internet connection my comps ip or my comps extrnal ip?
Zarrl
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 05:13:30 AM »

I can join it
Zarrl
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 05:41:48 AM »

For this server i can join it but none else can and it dosen't show up on the master server
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010, 05:53:17 AM »

It happened a similar thing to me, but in the end I fixed it.
The symptom was that it was possible to join my server (knowing its address), and that a manual check on masterserver (specifying its IP in the URL, like http://dpmaster.deathmask.net/?game=openarena&server=127.0.0.1:27960) worked, but it wasn't shown in the master server's server list.
The problem was this one: the incoming port was correctly forwarded, but the outgoing port was random, so when that random port was closed after the first three packets of the heartbeat, master server was no more able to reach that random port.
The fix was to enable an option called "Corresponding NAT entry for outgoing connection" in my incoming "port forwarding" setting. I wrote about it (and about some other tests one could try) DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Multiplayer#IPs.2C_routers_and_firewalls]on the wiki.

I think that it is normal that your server sends hartbeats after some time (so the master server is updated).
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 07:05:52 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Zarrl
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010, 05:59:23 AM »

do you know where these things would be on a say | D-link | DSL-G604T
Zarrl
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2010, 06:02:11 AM »

I dont think it is the same problem i cant find it specificed on master server and my friends who know my ip cant join thanks anyway
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2010, 06:11:39 AM »

Try using the test tools I mentioned DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Multiplayer#IPs.2C_routers_and_firewalls]here (please read that page, I spent much time on it! Smiley)... are your UDP ports correctly "portforwarded"?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Zarrl
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2010, 06:12:37 AM »

there not but i dont want to go messing with my router without know exactly what to click
Zarrl
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2010, 06:13:33 AM »

btw i have read that page atleast three times  Smiley
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2010, 06:35:12 AM »

It's hard to host a server without making tests in your router configuration....

--> Your router user manual (D-link DSL-G604T) <--
- Page 52 and following: Port forwarding (you're lucky... there should be already a "preset" rule for Quake III in "servers" section)... in "LAN IP" I think you should enter the "local" IP of your PC.
- From page 42, it seems that unless you select "Tools" -> "System Commands" -> "Save all", your changes will be lost when you reboot the router, so you should be able to do some tests without damage.

(The page number I specified is the one of the PDF... the page number you can find at the end of each page is different)

And remember about your Windows Firewall!

PS: I did not specify "net_ip" parameter.... For me, its value is 0.0.0.0...
I'm not sure, maybe if I had two network cards on my PC, specifying a single IP I could tell it to use only one NIC?

PPS: In your config file, your "map rotation" last line is
set m3 "map oa_bases7; set nextmap vstr m4"
since you have not an "m4" line, "m3" line should end with "...; set nextmap vstr m1".
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 06:32:23 PM by Gig » Logged

Zarrl
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2010, 05:18:15 PM »

Thanks for the imput.
I fixed map
and now i get more than heartbeats

code now
================
resolving dpmaster.deathmask.net <IPv4>
dpmaster.deathmask.net resolved to 64.22.107.125:27950
NET_sendPacket: WSAEADDRNOTAVAIL
================

my frind has join other servers but when he tried to join mine it said...

Awating challange....    and nothing more.

Not on specific server search either.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2010, 03:21:36 AM »

I don't know. A description of that error is here, probably you can find more searching with google.

Have you tried to do not specify "net_ip" parameter, or to set it to 0.0.0.0?

Did you open the Q3A port forwarding in your router, or not? Did you launch the server process before the client process? Did you use the test tools to check if your port forwarding/firewall settings are right? Are you sure you told your friends your external IP address, and not your internal IP?

Please be detailed when describing what you do, or it would be difficult to help you. For example, the last time you got this new error message, but the only fix from the previous tests you talked about was fixing the map rotation script... but that WSAEADDRNOTAVAIL should not be related to map rotation, I guess..

Zarrl
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2010, 03:59:43 AM »

==== Things i have done ====

- turned quake 3 port forwarding in my router for the laptop im using
(I'm on a network of 3 desktops and 2 laptops)

- I have made a rule in nortain internet secruity which is instead of windows firewall
(Allow / in and out connections / to dpmaster.deathmask.net / all ports)

- I am unsure of what to give to my friends as the ip.
(I'm giving them the one i run it through e.g. net_ip 10.1.1.54 so i give them 10.1.1.54 port 29760)

- I have fixed up that small map rotation error in the server.cfg file

- I'm not even sure what i should set the net_ip at.
(i have put it as my internet connection)

- The server is not showing up in specific server when i do my external IP as the server ip

- It isnt doing the NET_sendPacket: WSAEADDRNOTAVAIL anymore it is just randomly did that the once.

- My friends cannot conect to my server at all they typed ing my external ip as the server ip and they can't seem to join it.

I click the startone.bat file to run it and i get the ioquake3 Dedicated Server Console with loading information, It looks like it is working for me but it gets to the heartbeats and stops. The heartbeats go every few mins and thats all that happens.

Sorry about the spelling   Cry

PS

- I have a autoexec.cfg file that is empty
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2010, 04:14:30 AM »

Uhm....

- In your firewall, allowing connections to dpmaster.deathmask.net is not enough. Other players will not connect from the address of dpmaster.deathmask.net, you must allow UDP traffic for the required ports (27960, 27950) from/to all IPs (for 27950 maybe dpmaster could be enough, but surely for 27960 not). I don't know about Norton Internet Security firewall configuration, but probably there could be an option to allow full traffic for openarena.exe and oa_ded.exe programs.

- Why do you specify the net_ip parameter? For me it worked without specifying it. Try don't specifying it or with 0.0.0.0.

- Why do you give an 10.1.X.X IP to your friends? 10. is a range for internal ip addresses, and will work only from other PCs in your LAN (to use it, your friends should be at your home and they should search for "Local" servers instead of "Internet" servers). Your external IP address is the one you see when connecting to sites like www.whatismyip.com or similar, you should give it to your friends over the internet.

- Startone.bat?  Huh Did you create it?

PS: It is normal that you don't see anything but heartbeats in the console, until some client connects.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 04:30:31 AM by Gig » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2010, 04:23:40 AM »

First of all, check that your UDP 27960 port is correctly open.
Close OpenArena (server and client), download this test tool, install and run it. This way, you can check if your router and your software firewall allow incoming traffic for UDP 27960.
If not, try to completely disable Norton's firewall and try again...
Then tell us what happens...

Zarrl
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2010, 04:30:01 AM »

Your port is NOT OPEN or not reachable!
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2010, 04:32:25 AM »

You have to work more with your router/firewall settings. Until you get this test working, you can stop opening the server at all, it will not be reachable.

Are you sure that the rule on your router is still there? Maybe you turned it off and on without saving its configuration?

Zarrl
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2010, 04:37:44 AM »

the rule on the router is still there.

do i need to do something with the incoming and outgoing filters??
Zarrl
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2010, 04:46:05 AM »

i have found the problem...

the quake 3 rule lets ports 27660 - 27665 through the router

how would i make my own rule?
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2010, 05:01:58 AM »

27660 for Q3A? :-/ Strange, I wonder what were doing the D-link guys?

Anyway, you could try to set your net_port 27660 in OpenArena...
or to create a customized rule for 27960 in your router.
Your router manual, page 54 and 55 of the PDF file. Probably (but I'm not completely sure, and probably you could also set a wider range, if you want to be able to create more server sessions) you should write 27960 in "Port start", "port end" and "port map" fields. Set the UDP protocol and the name you wish.

If you choose to set your net_port to 27660 in OpenArena, remember that your "local" PCs will not see the server with the "Local" network scan (that scans 27960-27964 range only), but you can anyway connect to it manually specifying its internal address/port.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: