Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Camper means....  (Read 23109 times)
skyknight
Nub

Cakes 1

« on: July 13, 2010, 03:06:12 AM »

I am puzzled by the fact that there are still players who think CAMPING means using only the rail. I've just finished a game where the opponent insulted me by saying that I was camping. needless to say I was not on the same point even for one second. Yet the other insisted that I was camping because according to him means only use the rail. At this point I do not know what to say, if the new generation growing up in this sea of ignorance, where importance is solely and exclusively to the technique without accounting terminology and etiquette soon this game will lose a great amount of good players. As has happened in the past era of Aimbot.
Someone explain that camp is a word of English. It means placing the tents in one place and stay there for some time. So in the jargon of OA, first of all means a place to park, then targeting anything that moves, and finally, make this activity possible in a well covered giving a minimum benefit. Finally with the result of not amuse anyone else.
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 03:47:11 AM »

Strictly you could state that camping is staying on the same place and shooting everyone, especially populair with rail. Though I'd actually go for a wider definition, like include anyone switching between a couple of places (or one larger place like the oasago2 platform) all the time and shooting from there. Rail is most annoying as it deals 100damage, but even mg or something could be used.
Exception to the switching between a few places is when the player takes different routes. For example if you switch on oasago2 between the flagplace, lg place and below the bridge, and you go once through the sg place to get to below bridge and another time via lg and another time via whatever other route, I don't think it's camping as you're not on a predictable place, route or area anymore (maybe that's a better keyword then standing still: being too predictable due repetative actions and tactics).
Bane

Cakes 5

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 07:29:49 AM »

Doesn’t sound like you where camping just using the rail a lot and just good at it causing him/her to get mad and call you a camper. Also my hat goes off to anyone that can use the rail thought the whole game because it is hard to use especially when getting bounced around by rockets. Also from the way he/she acts they are probably new to this type of gaming and use to the more slower pace fps where there is a lot of camping so there first reaction when they get shot by the same person using the same weapon is “oh great another game full of campers”.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 08:00:48 AM »

Show them this video about a real camper.

... or maybe they could like this kind of camping or maybe this kind of camperSmiley

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 08:10:12 PM »

For this reason, I think that enabling auto-anticamp feature on servers could be good : it will mostly avoid people calling you camper, since if the system didn't spot you, it's likely that you are _not_ camping.
Logan

Cakes 2

I'm one of those Canadians you've heard about

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 12:58:46 AM »

For this reason, I think that enabling auto-anticamp feature on servers could be good : it will mostly avoid people calling you camper, since if the system didn't spot you, it's likely that you are _not_ camping.

Ah yes, I've seen this used before.

I was in Quake 3, just sitting there for about 30 secs and a big message appeared saying to stop camping or get kicked and a countdown started, I think it was about 15 secs.

Why not use this? I think it's a good idea. Not only will this get rid of real campers, but the guys that go AFK for 3 matches and leave themselves in game instead of spectating.

Is this a MOD though? Or does it come with OA, it just needs to be turned on?

*Logan*

Let Me Kill You In Open Arena--> Digichalk 0.8.5
Let Me Kill You In Quake Live--> Logan26
WaspKiller
Bigger member

Cakes 8

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 01:01:04 AM »

SkyKnight, I agree with your characterization of camping but RFM is also correct that camping is switching between a few locations in a specific area.  Whether you use one or more weapons is irrelevant.

However, it generally does not matter unless forbidden explicitly on the server.  Camp if you want, don't camp, and simply ignore anyone who complains unless it's a server admin.  Game types like CTF and its many variants virtually demand camping as some members of a team may be tasked to only defend.

To the better players, campers on FFA (DM) servers are generally tasty targets as you know where they are likely to be and you can use a weapon like the RL or BFG to inflict splatter damage without putting yourself in a postion to be railed.

I rarely camp in OA as it's lots of fun moving around in the E+ Mod and there is an anti-camp mechanism which specifies the amount of time you can stay in one spot, the amount of damage that will be inflicted on you every second by the server, and the radius (distance) that you must cover to have the damage cease. But, I camp all the time in Urban Terror by RFM's definition of camping.

Calm is for LOSERS!  ANGER fuels my game and btw you're NEXT!
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 01:11:16 AM »

Auto-campig features were inside some q3 mods. For example, in DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/ModCompat/Rocket_VS_Rail]Rocket Vs Rail mod, if you enable "rvr_anticamper", if someone does not move for 5 seconds, he will be killed.
Also DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/ModCompat/CorkScrew]CorkScrew mod includes anti-camper features, but I didn't try them.

I don't know if OpenArena includes something similar...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.

Cakes 7

Is 7 up?

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 03:39:56 AM »

My definition of a camper: someone who lies in wait in a strategic position and lets the other player(s) come to him instead of going after them.

Do I think camping is a problem? No. Man is a hunter and stalking prey is a hunting technique just as valid and efficient as chasing prey is. The real trick is not to be the prey but the hunter, and camping is an excellent way of reversing roles and teaching the mindless chasers a lesson (specially in 1vs1).

There are some maps on which campers can be annoying, but that's a problem of map design and not a problem of 'illegal' tactics.

For me the fun in shooters like OA is that there are virtually no rules, and every rule added takes away a bit of the fun of being able to do whatever you want.

I'm on the ten most wanted list, I've got it dead in the groove.
My face is on every wanted poster in town, for the way I move.
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 05:12:32 AM »

Doesn't OA already have this; inactivity drop Smiley 20-30secs is enough to type without getting kicked, and if you wanna talk more you should spec.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 05:23:26 AM »

Doesn't OA already have this; inactivity drop Smiley 20-30secs is enough to type without getting kicked, and if you wanna talk more you should spec.
Excuse me, the first part is a question or a statement? And there should be a difference with someone who stands still with "chat" or "console" open (if someone attacks him, he cannot react and can only die...) or with a camper that stands in a particular place, ready to frag whoever passes in front of him....

Cakes 7

Is 7 up?

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 05:50:07 AM »

Well, pass the camper from another side then, or don't pass him at all. Smiley If you can't, you're playing a badly designed map and that's not the campers fault. I think it's ridiculous to demand from players they be moving at all times, those are just the kind of rules noobs make up to allow them to mindlessly chase after others without getting fragged all of the time. If there is consensus amongst the players that a camper is ruining the game for everybody else, they should kick him and stop the fuzz.

Logan

Cakes 2

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 06:07:35 AM »

The only time I have a problem with campers personally is when they camp in a rocket room in some badly designed map and lay in wait for you to enter.

That's when I callvote nextmap :p

All other times, no problem. I know where they are, so I go kill them.

*Logan*

Bane

Cakes 5

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 07:55:58 AM »

I get what 7 is saying about maps being badly designed because some seem like they are just designed to be camped to death those I rarely play at all because they are just full of campers.  As for camping in CTF it really only hurts the team the camper is on because it’s like being a man down. I understand that there needs to be defence in CTF but sitting and spamming rockets or plasma really helps no on but the enemy also if you do decide to camp with the rail gun at least be good with the rail gun and stop a flag run or help the flag carrier by picking off chasers if you can’t do that then don’t camp with  the god damn rail gun.

Cakes 7

Is 7 up?

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 08:08:29 AM »

The only time I have a problem with campers personally is when they camp in a rocket room in some badly designed map and lay in wait for you to enter.

Agreed if the only RL on the map is in the camped room. If there is another RL, a GL or even a BFG on the map, camping in a closed room might be just stupid and nothing else...

What's really annoying in FFA, is cooperating campers. oa_dm6 for example is a paradise for two campers: if one camps the RA/RL room above the entrance next to the stairs and the other camps the MH/RL next to the slipgate, the game becomes a complete hell for all the other players, The only way to defeat the campers is to try and sneak up to them with a GL, which means everybody that's not getting fragged by the campers is fighting over the GL. Back in the QuakeWorld days I've seen two cooperating campers score 400+ frags each on dm6 in a 20 minute game with about 10 other players on the map, the other players scoring about 30 frags each.

HelloKitty!
Lesser Nub

Cakes 12

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2010, 11:29:56 AM »

I don't mind campers if you're playing a competitive game for money. Fatal1ty was called a camper many times, but hey, he knew everything that needed to be done and did what he needed to do. And it's hard to camp in 1vs1, because you're leaving all the armour and health (and weapons) to the other guy.

It's different when playing for fun, especially on FFA.

Yes, you can go there and rocket the camper if you know that he is there. But it gets boring after you do it 100 times. And he's still there. And if you try to play normally, then you can't move, because several important spots are camped. So you respawn, go there and kill him, and keep doing this over and over for 2 hours. Because he doesn't move and as soon as he spawns, he goes to his tent again.

Playing like that sucks. Who wants to play like that? Who has fun doing that for hours?

Cakes 7

Is 7 up?

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2010, 01:52:43 PM »

So why not camp the camper? If someone keeps camping in the same spot, I tend to take his spot and camp only him. If someone else comes I'll make a quick juice run to get some health and armor, but if it's the camper he gets what's coming to him.

You camp in 1vs1 when you know what route your opponent takes to get health and armor, you don't camp near the stuff he's going for but somewhere along his route and out of his line of sight to ambush him when he least expects it. When camping in 1vs1 you can't hang around after the kill, you have to try and find your freshly respawned opponent as quickly as you can so you can score a conversion frag before he stocks himself up with armor and weapons again.

HelloKitty!
Lesser Nub

Cakes 12

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2010, 02:15:18 PM »

So why not camp the camper?
Because it sucks and is no fun? Smiley

Cakes 7

Is 7 up?

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2010, 03:22:14 PM »

Because it sucks and is no fun? Smiley

I've seen some notorious campers rage-quitting when the other players got what's going on and kept rotating the camping spots to keep them occupied. Cooperating against aimbotters can sometimes be fun also, provided there aren't a lot of beginners on the server who keep shooting at everyone. In the QuakeWorld days some popular European servers were actively protected by their local clans in this way, the best players hanging around on irc would flock to a server once word was out there was an aimbot on there and would coop against him until he disconnected. Sometimes they would hunt him across servers via GameSpy if he didn't change names... Ahh, the good old days Cheesy
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 03:53:02 PM by 7 » Logged

Bane

Cakes 5

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2010, 04:27:32 PM »

If it’s a known camper sometimes some people on the server just disconnect, try to vote kick or gang up on the camper. Also like 7 said it is at times fun to camp the camper especially when you hear them coming and shoot a rocket and boom it hits them in the face and they still try to keep coming back and usually after the fifth time they either leave or stop camping.
Logan

Cakes 2

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2010, 04:44:38 PM »

Cooperating against aimbotters can sometimes be fun also, provided there aren't a lot of beginners on the server who keep shooting at everyone.

Ah yes, I've been there.

Aimbot users get REALLY mad when they start to lose.  Grin

*Logan*

Thoushaltdie
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2010, 12:19:43 AM »

Hey skyknight im pretty sure that the game you are talking i was there and playing on your team at the time right?

Victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none!
andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2010, 01:10:30 AM »

What's been pissing me off a lot are the spawn campers, especially on Instagib CTF servers.  They find a spot just behind where someone spawns, park their stupid butt there and just kill everyone who spawns at that spot.

With all the dickheads, griefers, aimbotters, chat spammers and team unbalancing that goes on in public servers, it's a wonder that any decent games get played at all.
Thoushaltdie
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2010, 03:35:54 AM »

well ppl try and balance teams and kick campers so im not all that suprised that games get played Wink and spawncamping only works on hydronex deathmatches. normally you just spawn somewhere else and go get some nice, piping-hot revenge on the spawncamper Cheesy

Victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none!
Bane

Cakes 5

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2010, 06:26:36 AM »

There are other maps like Oa base 5 and that Czest2ctf where spawn camping can be hell in DM and are pretty much deal breakers for playability in DM mod. Like for example in OA base 3 you spawn in the water and whoever gets stacked and come back can just spawn kill over and over again or they can simply grab the rail and camp it to death. As for Czestmyr it just becomes a race to lets see who can get the rail first and whoever gets it first can just rail away because there is only one spawn point and it is located right down the center giving the railer the best possible shots out of the window on the red or blue side.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 08:03:47 AM by Bane » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: