Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A suggestion  (Read 10541 times)
Phoenix Wright
Nub

Cakes 0

Defense Attourney

« on: January 03, 2007, 02:05:44 PM »

I see this in many Quake 3-based games nowadays.  Would it be possible to to make it so when you play online with a custom model, and if someone else doesn't have it, you just show up as Major to them?  It'd really get rid of a lot of limits.  Again, I've seen it done in many Quake 3-based games, like Jedi Academy.

I've found this rather annoying, to choose a custom skin I've downloaded only to find that I can't use it because the server doesn't have it.  Sure, the default OpenArena models are nice and all, but I'd like to use my own custom models on an online server without the server having to have the models.

OBJECTION!
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 02:20:22 PM »

It already does this though it shows up as Sarge as the default model instead.

The latter problem has everything to do with the server being a Pure Server.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
assimilateur
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 03:45:39 PM »

You suggest that it is perfectly "clean" (legal, according to OA's license) to use custom models and maps developed originally for Q3A? If so, then why are the servers all "pure servers", ergo: they don't let us use them?

Oh and I started playing this game only a few days before. You people are doing a great job! Keep it up!
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 03:52:32 PM »

If so, then why are the servers all "pure servers", ergo: they don't let us use them?

I'm not in charge of the servers that are running. They're all voluntary.

"Pure Server" exists so the players connecting to it match their pk3s (and checksums) and loads the ones only the server uses. It's a form of anti-cheat to some degree (i.e. stops brightskin/flatmaptexture users)

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
assimilateur
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 05:16:34 PM »

Yeah, I'm aware of the fact that you're not in charge of the servers per se. Just thought that maybe using custom models originally for Q3 was discouraged or even illegal.

Any idea of how to check which servers in the lobby are pure? Because it's a pain in the ass to check each one of them. Figured that punkbuster has something to do with checking "purity", but that option doesn't work for me.

Edit:
Another thing: If other players have autodownload enabled, will they automatically get my custom model from me? Or does this only work for maps? Which would mean that they view me as "Sarge" regardless of download option.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 05:21:44 PM by assimilateur » Logged
Skid
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 05:06:15 AM »

I'm running a server (UK based), but by all means if you create a pk3 file, with some nice skins/models etc in it, I'd put it on the server (although, I don't think it's even pure atm) so that it'd be able to be used.. providing the server will read in that pk3 and compre it with clients local copies.
assimilateur
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 07:33:05 AM »

I wasn't speaking of creating my own pk3, but of using pk3s made by fans of Q3A. Unless, of course, I'd need to change anything in them, because I already think that at least one sound of a specific model is farked (my example being: Bender's step sound. Sounds more or less like the "confirmation" when you hit something, which is inacceptable IMO).
Of course when I get around to actually using anything, I'll be able to send you the pk3s via e-mail if you want.
Phoenix Wright
Nub

Cakes 0

Defense Attourney

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 02:26:08 PM »

assimilateur: That's probably because the sound it's referencing does not exist.

EDIT: Also, shouldn't we have a FAQ here on the forums for those who'll ignore it if it's on the site?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 02:50:10 PM by Phoenix Wright » Logged

OBJECTION!
baud123
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2007, 07:24:46 PM »

to check which servers are pure, you can access their config at http://dpmaster.deathmask.net/?game=openarena
(click on the line of the server)

pure=1 corresponds to the pure option activated (0 disabled)

AFAIC, I'm the admin for tuxfamily servers and choosing pure=1 is deliberate : as we promote free software (libre software as advertised by the FSF, see http://gnu.org ), we'd rather like people who make maps / mods / models / musics to contribute to OpenArena (suggest / upload their changes) so they can be available under the GPL license.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: