Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: FFA scoreboard with deaths count  (Read 15845 times)
dmz
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: July 20, 2010, 11:35:02 AM »

Hi! I often play ffa games and one thing i miss (aside from custom weaponbar) is deaths count on scorebard - like in Unreal Tournament. I could implement it, but death counter is missing in score_t struct, so: should I add it there and bump it when player death event comes in?

Ps. what do you think about such idea (death count on scoreboard)?
Logan

Cakes 2

I'm one of those Canadians you've heard about

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 01:00:57 AM »

Quake Live has this, with lots of details regarding accuracy, weapon use, deaths, etc.

I think it's a fantastic idea to have this in OA and I hope to see it in the future.

*Logan*

Let Me Kill You In Open Arena--> Digichalk 0.8.5
Let Me Kill You In Quake Live--> Logan26
Bane

Cakes 5

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 05:48:07 AM »

Sounds like a good idea it has my vote  Smiley
dmz
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 05:55:39 AM »

Well, I modified DeathmatchScoreboardMessage() in g_cmds.c to send info about death and CG_ParseScores in cg_servercmds.c to read it into modified score_t struct. Now only thing left is to change the display layout of scoreboard. Also I think that it would be good idea to send death count instead perfect award as perfect award can be checked simply by deaths == 0.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 08:41:12 AM »

that sounds like it would break serverside mods

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 01:20:05 PM »

that sounds like it would break serverside mods

This has been the case for years

There are nothing offending in my posts.
dmz
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 12:14:36 AM »

In what way it would break server mods? Where i can read about it? And does it means that there is no way to improve default OA scoreboard to make you guys accept it?
GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 09:06:53 PM »

In what way it would break server mods? Where i can read about it? And does it means that there is no way to improve default OA scoreboard to make you guys accept it?

Basically, you can change the design, but you can't change the values and the format of the datas sent via the "score" command.

The problem with serverside mods is that they were designed for a specific "score" behaviour, this means that if you add functionnalities, and your client connects to a server with a serverside mod, the server will send an old formatted score data flow, and when your client will receive it, it won't find all the infos it needs and will probably crash. Same if an old OA client connects to your updated modified server without a mod. That's why it's not a good idea.

Now an idea : maybe you can try to autodetect the format of the score data flow : if it's the old format, the game would switch to the old scoreboard, or if it's the new one, draw all the infos. Or even better : auto detect the score datas, so that serverside mods and old OA game clients would be able to parse the datas and show them, no matter if some are added or removed.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 08:28:56 AM »

I should clarify my previous statement. Serverside mod compatibility has been broken for a long time (since 0.7.6). Breaking it again makes little difference.

GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 11:24:07 AM »

I should clarify my previous statement. Serverside mod compatibility has been broken for a long time (since 0.7.6). Breaking it again makes little difference.

This is not true. How is it broken ?

I tested many serverside mods (amongst them NoGhost and ExcessivePlus) and I couldn't see a compatibility issue (except from the last 085 release : see http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=3717.0).
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010, 02:06:41 PM »

And what can be done to recover the compatibility?

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
rabusmar
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010, 05:22:23 PM »

This is not true. How is it broken ?

I tested many serverside mods (amongst them NoGhost and ExcessivePlus) and I couldn't see a compatibility issue (except from the last 085 release : see http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=3717.0).

It is broken. Excessiveplus for OA is not only because the scores format was adapted specifically to OA.

Anyway, I don't think it's a good idea to change the formats again, since that would break compatibility across versions of OA itself, thus probably requiring another change in protocol just for the sake of the scores and splitting community again.
MyLittlePwny
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2010, 01:05:25 PM »

Basically, you can change the design, but you can't change the values and the format of the datas sent via the "score" command.

The problem with serverside mods is that they were designed for a specific "score" behaviour, this means that if you add functionnalities, and your client connects to a server with a serverside mod, the server will send an old formatted score data flow, and when your client will receive it, it won't find all the infos it needs and will probably crash. Same if an old OA client connects to your updated modified server without a mod. That's why it's not a good idea.

Now an idea : maybe you can try to autodetect the format of the score data flow : if it's the old format, the game would switch to the old scoreboard, or if it's the new one, draw all the infos. Or even better : auto detect the score datas, so that serverside mods and old OA game clients would be able to parse the datas and show them, no matter if some are added or removed.

Perhaps have score_t and score2_t, with score_t being the "classic" version, and score2_t containing "extended" information (whatever extra stats you want that aren't in score)? If the server returns score and score2, show the "extended" scoreboard, and if it only returns score, use the "classic" scoreboard. Assuming invalid commands are ignored rather than client requests for score2 crashing the server or making the server kick the client, of course.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2010, 06:31:47 AM »

The reason score_t is broken compared to Q3A is that "int isDead" is added. The variable is used in (CTF)Elimination for marking if a player is dead and in LMS for number of lives left. It is unused in other gametypes and could be used for sending death count.

GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2010, 05:25:18 PM »

The reason score_t is broken compared to Q3A is that "int isDead" is added. The variable is used in (CTF)Elimination for marking if a player is dead and in LMS for number of lives left. It is unused in other gametypes and could be used for sending death count.

Then as MyLittlePwny suggested, would it be possible to restore the old score_t and use another score2_t or scorext_t command ?
rabusmar
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2010, 11:48:40 AM »

Then as MyLittlePwny suggested, would it be possible to restore the old score_t and use another score2_t or scorext_t command ?

Not without breaking compatibility among OA versions. Sago's suggestions seem to be better, since the value is not used for other gametypes other than elimination.
MyLittlePwny
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2010, 12:18:15 PM »

Not without breaking compatibility among OA versions. Sago's suggestions seem to be better, since the value is not used for other gametypes other than elimination.

Don't necessarily need to change score_t from its current state to add the other stuff to score2_t though. Whether you keep score_t in its current state (for OA version compatability) or revert it (for Q3A compatability) is a completely different matter. (Although if that's all that breaks OA/Q3A compatability, you could probably default to the current score_t, and have a -Q3A flag to make it use the Q3A score_t when you want to play on Q3A servers?)

And like Logan said, you could use score2_t for more than just deaths. (Maybe something like scoreStats_t would be a better name then?)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2010, 05:19:54 PM »

I often play ffa games and one thing i miss (aside from custom weaponbar)...
Weapon bar isn't fully "customizable"... but you can select to have it always shown (altough with the side effect that you don't see the names of the items you pickup), and you can select between various styles (some on the lower side of the screen, as usual, and some on the left side...)... see also DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Graphic_options#Weapon_bar]here.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 05:37:58 PM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: