Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Screw OA (rail) server  (Read 45506 times)
^TheDoctor^
Nub

Cakes 2

« on: July 20, 2010, 02:52:11 PM »

Dear OpenArena players,

I would like to point your attention towards the new instant-gib server: SCREW OA (rail), vindimy.dyndns.info:27960

It features Corkscrew, a railgun-only, instant-gib variant with an off-hand grapple having Tarzan physics, and also incorporates quake3-brainwork bots which use a more realistic aiming and awareness model.

Server description:
  • chicken's Corkscrew216UL2 (client-side)
  • Corkscrew216 + brainworks bots (server-side)
  • gpl-q3a2oa-textures (v3)
  • non-mature OA models (pak2-players.pk3)
  • bright-skins for all available models (by shader)
  • custom maps in a dynamic map cycle (next map depends on a probability and the number of players). Not every available map is part of this "cycle" but can be callvoted for.
  • BigBrotherBot (B3) administration framework (server-side)
  • xlrstats real-time stats
  • server-side recorded client demos (chat/voip not recorded).

Participation in the stats is voluntary up to 50 connections, after which you become auto-registered. Type !register once to start collecting stats immediately.

I should point out that B3 comes with a rather strict name and language checker (so don't rename yourself after genitals or insult your opponents after every frag). That said, I believe you won't run into any troubles if you just concentrate on playing  Wink.  

Many thanks to Vindimy for providing the game server and the http webspace.

Have fun,

^TheDoctor^
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 06:07:23 PM by ^TheDoctor^ » Logged
PopeJo
Lesser Nub

Cakes 12

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 03:27:46 PM »

\o/ great fun!

RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 05:10:05 PM »

Sounds very nice! Gonna try it tomorrow Smiley
(on this laptop I can't even get one or two fps =) )
HelloKitty!
Lesser Nub

Cakes 12

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 12:17:57 PM »

Great server, great maps, great ping, fast action. I like it.

Anyway, I'm not TOO familiar with the brainworks bots, but at the default level (which is 5, and should correspond to nightmare), they are totally worthless. Instagib with nightmare bots should be close to impossible, but these guys can't hit anything, and move like turtles.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 04:52:51 PM by HelloKitty! » Logged
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 03:36:09 PM »

WOW WHAT A FABULOUS NAME AND HEADER!!!!!

I love it!

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 06:03:10 AM »

Good work !
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 08:46:38 AM »

The old and good DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/ModCompat/CorkScrew]CorkScrew mod, with bright skins added? Nice idea...  Smiley
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 05:22:07 PM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 03:11:00 PM »

Just played there, cool server Smiley I like the stats and there are some neat maps. At least a nice variation on the standard OA maps (and playing style too).
Didn't see it in the topic yet (or ctrl+f game-host.org didn't return anything), so here are the stats: bb.game-host.org/oa. I thought it's too long though so made a tk-domain: screwoa.tk. It'll be valid for as long as it gets 25hits/3months, starting now (so in 3 months it will become inactive if it got less than 25 hits).
christooss
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 03:45:24 PM »

Good job on the server. Good map rotation and great choice with corkscrew mod. You will see more of me on this server Tongue

BTW Is there a list of all !commands? Like when changing alias it still records statistic under same name.
christooss
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 05:51:11 PM »

Few suggestions:
1. Remove some maps 45??? (this will mean more people sticking around cause we all hate waiting between matches)
2. Add timer at the beginning of the match. 10 second pause and than 3,2,1 FIGHT
Haverford
Nub

Cakes 1

make it work...

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 08:32:26 AM »

Just having the maps after downloading them is great - there are some cool DM maps in there. Plus the mod is awesome, and the mod to the mod is neat too. Smiley

I agree that having a countdown would be nice.

Also - It would be kinda cool to take all the maps the server uses in the rotation, throw them in a ZIP, and upload it so eliminating the need to DL every new map (and thus wait before every match and miss like half of it)

Other than that, great server...needs more people...

If you do something right...no one has to know you did anything at all.

</atrophy>
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2010, 10:06:10 AM »

A thing... since it is not completely the original DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/ModCompat/CorkScrew]Corkscrew mod, but a mod of a mod that is not compatible with the original mod (I don't know what are the changes you made that make it no more compatible...), if someone has already installed the "classic" Corkscrew, he will not be able to connect to your server (game freeze or "Error: client/server game mismatch" in console).

It would have been better to change the folder name of the "new" mod, for example "ScrewOA", instead of simply "Corkscrew"....

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
^TheDoctor^
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 01:31:30 PM »

If someone has already installed the "classic" Corkscrew, he will not be able to connect to your server (game freeze or "Error: client/server game mismatch" in console). It would have been better to change the folder name of the "new" mod, for example "ScrewOA", instead of simply "Corkscrew"....
Are you sure this is an occurring issue? After all I did not change the client side but re-used an existing package. AFAIK the  "client/server game mismatch" is shown if someone has cl_allowDownload disabled. If you had problems, please zip your original corkscrew folder and send it to oa.doctor (a) gmail.com to let me take a look.

Concerning maps: follow the instructions at http://thedoc.freeq3.com/baseoa/ to download them at once.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 01:47:10 PM by ^TheDoctor^ » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2010, 02:17:07 PM »

Strange, I checked q3config.cfg in both baseq3 and corkscrew folders, and they had cl_allowdownload 1.
But, after some more tries (once I first started the mod, and only then tried to connect), now it connects with no problems. And now, also if I try to connect directly from the base game, it works. I also deleted the whole directory of the mod in appdata folder, restarted the "classic" mod to have the config re-created, quitted, and then connected to your server again... and it works (it downloads the required files and goes). I really don't understand what happened. :-/

This was the computer where the game "freezed"... tomorrow I will try from another computer, that gave me the "mismatch" error instead...

Anyway, now my "classic" Corkscrew has become "your version" of if... I have those brightskins also if I play locally (I know, I can wipe out your customizations simply deleting the folder in appdata, but...).

A question: in version 2.16UL2 ... "UL2" is a name you added then you modified the mod, or is a "real" version released by Firestarter (original author), or do you think someone else modded the mod before you and added that "UL2"? When I created the Wiki page about Corkscrew, the latest version I found around the web was 2.16 (without UL2)...
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 04:54:59 PM by Gig » Logged

^TheDoctor^
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2010, 03:03:34 PM »

Anyway, now my "classic" Corkscrew has become "your version" of it. I have those brightskins also if I play locally.
Let's differentiate here. The file CorkScrew_216ul_oa.pk3 required and provided by ScrewOA does not contain a qagame.qvm (the server-side part of the mod). If you are running a Corkscrew server at home, it is loaded from a different pk3 file.

ScrewOA also requires and provides the file z-player-shader.pk3. It contains simple substitutions for the non-mature player textures of OA and is loaded if contained in the server's fs_game directory, unless there is another pk3 loaded thereafter (files are loaded in alphabetical order) overriding some or all the stuff in z-player-shader.pk3

A question: in version 2.16UL2 is "UL2" a name you added?
UL2 is part of the original package's name, see CorkScrew_216ul_oa.pk3. I understood it to be a hint that the original qagame.qvm contained Unlagged2.0 code. The difference between the original file and ScrewOA's: I removed some unnecessary files such as qagame.qvm to reduce the size of the pk3.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2010, 04:42:51 PM »

Do you think this version is from Firestarter, like the original mod? I tested, it works with OpenArena only (not with Q3) and, unlike the "classic" v2.16 download, does not include any "preset" configuration file or windows batch file. Quite different from the original package...
So I suppose this could be an unofficial modification of CorkScrew, too. Anyway, having "unlagged" support is good (if someone did this, I suppose the "classic" Corkscrew doesn't inherit the "unlagged" features included in OpenArena... or simply this was created before OpenArena included delag?)...

I've done DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/index.php?title=ModCompat%2FCorkScrew&diff=6538&oldid=6527]some updates on the page on the Wiki, to mention this "UL2" version. Do you think they are ok?

^TheDoctor^
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2010, 05:18:42 PM »

Do you think this version is from Firestarter, like the original mod?
No. It seems to be specifically recompiled and (most definitely) repackaged for OpenArena, which would be in accordance with your observations. One could call it unofficial in the sense that Firestarter was likely not involved.

Concerning UL2: Without the source code, one can only speculate what server-side features were in the original package.

Concerning your changes in the wiki: Seems OK to me.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2010, 01:31:34 AM »

Tried from the other computer: for some reason I don't remember, the %appdata%\openarena\corkscrew\q3config.cfg file had automatic download disabled (strange, I usually have it enabled).
So, okay. The only thing is that after playing on your server, the player will experience some changes, like the brightskins, also when playing locally.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 07:34:15 AM by Gig » Logged

christooss
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2010, 04:50:18 AM »

I have problem with connecting to this server.
1. it's not listed on ingame server list < this happens sometimes
2. when I want to connect with ./openarena.i386 +connect 212.65.13.87:27960 I get error: Server uses protocol 68
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2010, 05:51:31 AM »

What version of OpenArena do you have? Is it the current version (0.8.5)?

christooss
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2010, 06:10:49 AM »

Jup. Weirdly enough it has OAX written in lower right corner but I just applied 0.8.5 patch to my previous 0.8.1

I played on this server without problems before but sometimes it doesn't list it in servers list.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2010, 06:24:30 AM »

Strange... In the Deathmask server list, it's reported to use protolol 71, like the other servers... :-/

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2010, 07:16:02 AM »

Jup. Weirdly enough it has OAX written in lower right corner but I just applied 0.8.5 patch to my previous 0.8.1
It is a known bug that 0.8.5 writes OAX in the corner.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
^TheDoctor^
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2010, 08:30:07 AM »

problem #2: when I want to connect with ./openarena.i386 +connect 212.65.13.87:27960 I get error: Server uses protocol 68
You are connecting to the wrong game server (wrong port). Type 27962. 27960 is a Smokin'Guns server (which indeed utilizes protocol 68).

problem #1: it's not listed on ingame server list
Aside from the problem that the in-game multiplayer list is generally somewhat inaccessible, it has the design flaw to omit game servers which do not respond to the client's ping. So even if you know the server's name and know it is online, you cannot connect because it won't show up. Even more problematic, the game browser is a part of the ui (ui.qvm), therefore it depends on the loaded mod (e.g. oa085 or corkscrew). I did some test identifying the best settings to list ScrewOA:
  • oa085: Game Type: Free For All, Sort By: Ping Time, Show Full: off, Show Empty: off, Only humans: off, Hide private: on. Refresh and look for "SCREW OA (rail)".
  • corkscrew: Game Type: All (not Free For All!), Sort By: Ping Time, Show Full: off, Show Empty: off. Refresh and look for "SCREW O".

I strongly suggest to use an external game browser (xqf on Linux does it's job) to create a personal list of favorite game servers. This would enable you to see a list of players currently connected. Of course the OA in-game multiplayer browser supports favorites too, but then not even I know how to add servers to this list. How inaccessible is that?
christooss
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2010, 11:06:21 AM »

1# This IP 212.65.13.87:27960 is written on home/statpage http://screwoa.tk/ so it was honest mistake  Smiley

27962 is working properly. Tnx for pointing it out!

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: