Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: running openarena in anaglyph mode.  (Read 12180 times)
zuriastrad
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: July 19, 2008, 07:37:49 AM »

ioquake3 now has the ability to run in anaglyph mode. i love this kind of stuff and i really wanted to try it out, so i downloaded the latest svn code, built it, renamed the binary to ioquake3-svn.i386 and copied it into my openarena folder. i then ran it from the terminal with this command-

./ioquake3-svn.i386 +set fs_game baseoa +set com_standalone 1

which compensates for the fact that there is a baseoa folder instead of the baseq3 folder that it was expecting.

then i ran a game and in the console i typed-

/r_anaglyphmode 1

to activate the anaglyph and

/r_greyscale 1

which i think makes the anaglyph work better. i'm really impressed with this. i just need to get some better colour filters that the cheap carboard glasses that i have and i'll really get the benefit. hopefully this feature will make it's way into the game engine pretty soon.

zuriastrad
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 07:57:29 AM »

forgot to mention, you can alter the stereo seperation with /r_stereoSeparation

the lower the number the more the seperation.
odigo
Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 08:31:16 AM »

I always thought the higher the number (like 0.Cool the more separation there was.  Just made sense to me, 0.4 being default, lowering the number lowers the separation.  Of course, I could be wrong Tongue 
vennatorr
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 01:17:46 PM »

odigo-
yeah, that would be the logical way to do it, but that's not how it's working right now. the higher the number the less seperation, till you get to about 160ish after which it doesn't seem to change any more. very strange.
Snickersnack

Cakes 1

obnoxious OA fan

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 05:53:16 PM »

ioquake3 now has the ability to run in anaglyph mode. i love this kind of stuff and i really wanted to try it out, so i downloaded the latest svn code, built it, renamed the binary to ioquake3-svn.i386 and copied it into my openarena folder. i then ran it from the terminal with this command-

./ioquake3-svn.i386 +set fs_game baseoa +set com_standalone 1

which compensates for the fact that there is a baseoa folder instead of the baseq3 folder that it was expecting.

then i ran a game and in the console i typed-

/r_anaglyphmode 1

to activate the anaglyph and

/r_greyscale 1

which i think makes the anaglyph work better. i'm really impressed with this. i just need to get some better colour filters that the cheap carboard glasses that i have and i'll really get the benefit. hopefully this feature will make it's way into the game engine pretty soon.

Yeah it's really sweat. I haven't tried anaglyph mode  yet. The active stereo mode works too if you have quad buffer capable GPU (mostly for workstations). I just picked up an old Nvidia Quadro off of Ebay for about $20 and paired it with a Vuzix VR920 (~$330) head mounted display and am presently enjoying staring at the "life like" cracks on the floor of the arena. Wink Shutter glasses also kick ass if you still have a CRT and are really cheap these days.

Seriously, the glasses look stupid but everyone should try out stereoscopic Openarena or Ioquake3. This site claims to offer free anaglyph glasses if you send them a self addressed stamped envelope.

http://www.rainbowsymphony.com/free-3d-glasses.html

I look forward to being gibbed in stereoscopic 3D! Smiley
menganito
Lesser Nub

Cakes 7

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 04:49:47 AM »

I've just tried it, works with stock OA (just /r_anaglyphmode 1), it is pretty awesome, only it makes my eyes hurt badly after a while Cheesy
If you have the red/blue 3D glasses, i say try it.
I've encountered a few problems this far: I have no cursor and the drawspeed, drawfps and drawtimer (which i have enabled) are all messed up (red component isn't shifted a few pixels to the side, but one line up), see attached image.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 05:13:30 AM »

As you can read DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Graphic_options#Stereoscopic_view]here, the glasses can be also of other colour combinations (r_anaglyphmode is not boolean), and in theory there is even support for modern "shutter glasses" instead of "classic" Anaglyph mode (but, reading from ioq3 site, it has not been tested yet... anyway notice that they wrote this in 2008!).

I don't have any kind of 3d glasses, so I can't take "real" tests. In ioq3 documentation they say that for now the problem is that one can see two crossairs (they say they should fix this... but notice that that they wrote that page more than two years ago!)... but from what I can see in openarena, it seems there is no crosshair. I don't know what to think. Maybe someone could ask directly to the guys of ioquake3.... Is someone here already registered on their forum, too?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 04:37:42 PM »

I have a pair of such red/blue glasses..... somewhere under 3 meters of dust and shit probably Cheesy
Think I'll order a new one some time, more and more things are working with it and the glasses cost almost nothing. Shipment is even more (can't think of a store which would have it).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: