Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with downloading the game.  (Read 10847 times)
ron366
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: August 03, 2010, 02:10:35 PM »

Hey everyone.
OK, someone i know from another game, is playing Q3 CPMA.
I saw few vids in YouTube and it seem to be a nice game.
I want to start playing it, He told me how to download the game client, but I dont know how to get the Quake3 pack.
He said i need to buy it, or find a place to download it cuz it's copyrighted.
Anyway, I need someone to guide me how to download the Quake3 pack and where to put it in the game folder.
Thanks
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 02:48:16 PM »

I'm not sure you selected the right section of the forum to post, but it's not totally your fault.
OA Contribs > Help Wanted ... hmm, I'm not sure this section will get filled one day, nevermind.

What you want is help with Quake 3, and this is an OpenArena forum.
CPMA is a mod, which can both work with OA and with Q3.
However, CPMA over OA won't allow you to join people who play CPMA over Q3, because Q3 and OA are kinda incompatible.

There are very few OA servers which run CPMA, so indeed, the only viable solution for you is to play CPMA over Quake 3.

You can get Quake3 on steam (heard someone saying this today), or elsewhere. Indeed you're meant to buy it.
Once you got Quake3, all you have to do is to copy the CPMA files (there is the mod files, and there are external packs for maps) into Quake 3's directory, along with baseq3 directory.

I think that's about all. You may also try CPMA over OA, just as a try. Inside the game menu once you start the game there is a "mod" option, and you could select CPMA there if its files are copied.

Todo: Walk the cat.
ron366
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 03:01:01 PM »

I didn't understand everything  Undecided
My english sucks.
But just to make it clear, I heared in other games that Q3 is just a mode you see and others dont,
it doesn't effect the game, and I dont have to use it.
So can i just run the game normaly and play with my friends?
i must use Q3 to open the game?
GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 03:36:13 PM »

i must use Q3 to open the game?

No, depends.

Quake 3 Arena is a game by id software, that is, you must buy it to play it.

OpenArena is an opensource and free alternative to Quake 3 Arena : it works the same, plays the same, but contains different models, maps and gamemodes. But it is completely free, you just have to download it and you're good to go.

To extend the game functionnalities, you can install what we call a "mod". Luckily, mods that are made for Quake 3 Arena are generally compatible with OpenArena.

Now, what you want to play is CPMA, which is a mod. You can install it and play it with Quake 3 Arena or OpenArena. The mod is free to download and play.

But now, if you want to play with your friend, you must use the same game : if he plays OpenArena, you must use OpenArena. If he plays Quake 3 Arena, you must play Quake 3 Arena (and buy it before).

So basically : since your friend plays Quake 3 Arena, you must buy it, and you're at the wrong place. Look at online games reseller like amazon :
Windows version : http://www.amazon.com/Quake-III-Arena-Pc/dp/B0000296ZD
Linux version : http://www.amazon.com/Quake-3-Arena-Linux-Pc/dp/B000046Q56

-------------------------------------

As an alternative, you can either ask your friend to install OpenArena to play with you (but I doubt he will), or, more complicated, try to play with OpenArena assets with ioquake3 binary on Quake 3 servers and CPMA mod (as long as Q3 maps aren't played on server but only CPMA maps, you should be able to freely play on Q3 servers this way, and legally).
ron366
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 03:41:17 PM »

Oh I get it now Smiley
Well i guess ill play OpenArena cuz I don't belive in paying for games Wink
btw, jkl is that you? 0.o
Logan

Cakes 2

I'm one of those Canadians you've heard about

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 05:21:12 AM »

Well i guess ill play OpenArena cuz I don't belive in paying for games Wink

That's the spirit! I like this guy already.  Grin

Based on what you said though, why not download Quake 3 for free then?

I'm not telling you in the forums where and how to get it, but it's definitly possible...

*Logan*

Let Me Kill You In Open Arena--> Digichalk 0.8.5
Let Me Kill You In Quake Live--> Logan26
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: