Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Some questions  (Read 11896 times)
Virus
« on: August 04, 2010, 07:41:26 AM »

These are just some questions and things i've noticed.
Remark: I run OA with the openarena-deprecated.exe on an old version of MS Windows.

a) Whats about the multiple q3config.cfg saved per gametype (baseoa, CTF, DM ...) and which one do I change for example if I change one variable with a console command from main menu(after startup)? If I want to change a setup for all gametypes by editing files, do I have to change it in all q3config.cfg-s?
b) When connecting to a server: for an insta game all weapons and pickups seem to be loaded | all configured models seem to be loaded even though I got forcemodel enabled (and why is the model on CTF games different from the one I chose?)?
c) crosshair coloring has no effect; always white
d) OA exiting when I hit keys bound to toggleconsole / same if the command serverstatus is used

Are c) and d) tied to the deprecated version?
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 08:36:02 AM »

- "Serverstatus" is bugged in 0.8.5 (not only in "deprecated" executable). It will be fixed in 0.8.6.
- For different model in team game modes (like CTF), check your "team_model" and "team_headmodel", instead of "model" and "headmodel" variables. See also DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Player_settings#Model]here.
- "baseoa" is not a a gametype. "baseoa" is the name of the main game, to disinguish it from the "DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Mods]mods" (and each mod can use multiple gametypes). Each mod has got its own separate folder, with its own q3config.cfg file (copied from the one in your baseoa the first time you run the mod, and then completely independent)... gametypes not, AFAIK. Somewhere here in the forum I read something about an external launcher designed to have mods configs synched... try to find it...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 08:48:30 AM »

a) Might not have been clear but Gig answers this as question 3.
b) Pickups are loaded in case the server suddenly disables g_instantgib and does a map_restart.
c) Only works on baseoa servers running 0.8.5.
d) i don't know about toggleconsole. Serverstatus is a server error, the server can fix this by updating its executable.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 09:31:14 AM »

a) Whats about the multiple q3config.cfg saved per gametype (baseoa, CTF, DM ...) and which one do I change for example if I change one variable with a console command from main menu(after startup)? If I want to change a setup for all gametypes by editing files, do I have to change it in all q3config.cfg-s?

Simply edit with a text editor the one in baseoa/ and remove all others q3config.cfg from the other folders. The game will automatically copy the one from baseoa/ to the other mods when needed.

Or you can use this launcher which will do it for you (please read carefully the readme before, and make a copy of your q3config.cfg) :
OpenArena Launcher v2.0.1
Virus
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 12:51:29 PM »

Amazing. Thanks alot for your fast and comprehensive answers. Now I see clear.
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 12:56:18 PM »

And finally, the CTF directories you see along with baseoa are NOT gametypes, they are custom mods made by server administrators, who were not inspired enough to find another name, hence the confusion.
Generally, what all these mods are doing is adding a few files to the game (brightskins, and a texture pack).

Note: you posted meanwhile, well ...

Todo: Walk the cat.
Thoushaltdie
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 01:49:38 PM »

haha poor cacatoes Azn

Victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none!
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 02:00:04 PM »

b) Pickups are loaded in case the server suddenly disables g_instantgib and does a map_restart.
g_elimination actually suffers from this bug if enabled midgame and wants to use weapons not already loaded. This is not a problem for the actual Elimination-gametypes because changing g_gametype triggers a reload. If anyone knows how g_gametype triggers this please tell me.

andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 10:36:10 PM »

g_elimination actually suffers from this bug if enabled midgame and wants to use weapons not already loaded. This is not a problem for the actual Elimination-gametypes because changing g_gametype triggers a reload. If anyone knows how g_gametype triggers this please tell me.
Can you be more specific Sago007, when I change g_gametype in the console I only get the "gametype will be changed after a restart" message.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 04:48:18 AM »

Can you be more specific Sago007, when I change g_gametype in the console I only get the "gametype will be changed after a restart" message.
Yes, but then you after that message do a "map_restart" the game will reload all the items. g_instangib will give the same message but will not reload after map_restart.

Changing map will always trigger a reload.

andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 07:48:30 AM »

I'm pretty sure it is this piece of code in SV_MapRestart_f() in server/sv_ccmds.c :

Code:
        // check for changes in variables that can't just be restarted
        // check for maxclients change
        if ( sv_maxclients->modified || sv_gametype->modified ) {
                char    mapname[MAX_QPATH];

Com_Printf( "variable change -- restarting.\n" );
                // restart the map the slow way
                Q_strncpyz( mapname, Cvar_VariableString( "mapname" ), sizeof( mapname ) );

SV_SpawnServer( mapname, qfalse );
                return;
        }
GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 07:55:44 AM »

Changing map will always trigger a reload.

From what Ive seen, the whole engine is tied to maps : if your map can't be loaded, the server won't start at all (it will be in a waiting state).
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2010, 05:07:09 PM »

c) Only works on baseoa servers running 0.8.5.
b) IIRC it will re-load the map instead of normal maprestarting when such variable like g_instantgib or modified and the server map-restarts.
c) Why only baseoa? And it seems a clientside thing, why doesn't it work on 081 servers when running 085 client?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: