Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Does Proxy support work?  (Read 22851 times)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« on: August 13, 2010, 01:58:26 AM »

Hi guys!

I noticed the cvars that should enable the connection through a proxy, so I decided to make a try to see if it works.

net_socksEnabled "0"
net_socksPort "1080"
net_socksServer ""
net_socksUsername ""
net_socksPassword ""
These are the default values. After changing, you have to quit and launch OpenArena again.

I placed a wrong default gateway in windows network configuration (to be sure that it does not connect using standard connection instead of proxy connection), went to OA configuration and set the proxy address and enabled it... then launched the game.
The program needs some time before start (it is unresponsitive for many seconds, and then there is a message in console, "net_opensocks: connect: wsaeconnreset"), and then does not find any server. With a certain net_socksport (80 or 8080, I don't remember) it seems to completely freeze (after a minute it is still unresponsitive) and I have to terminate the process and disable net_socksenabled manually editing q3config.cfg.

I read here (a useful list of Quake3 commands) that it does not support all authentication methods (I don't know if ioq3 guys added some more to them), but my proxy does not require authentication.

I don't really need to use the proxy, but I'd like to understand why it does not work and, in general, if proxy support is working for someone (maybe compatible only with some proxy servers) or it is only an old, unmaintained Q3A feature that doesn't work anymore.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 01:01:20 PM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 10:47:19 AM »

From the same page you've linked :

net_socksEnabled "0" -> toggle the use of network socks 5 protocol enabling firewall access (only settable at init time from the OS command line)

But the page is referring to quake3 engine, not ioquake3
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 11:47:09 AM »

From the same page you've linked :

net_socksEnabled "0" -> toggle the use of network socks 5 protocol enabling firewall access (only settable at init time from the OS command line)
Because it cannot be changed "on the fly"... anyway it is a variable stored in q3config.cfg: if you set it from within the game, it simply needs to close the program and open it again, to be effective. The "freezes" aren't when connecting to a server (not possible since it doesn't work), are when starting the whole program (if the settings in cfg file would be ignored, then there should be no freeze, simply it shouldn't try to use the proxy).

But the page is referring to quake3 engine, not ioquake3
This is the main reason I'm here to ask if someone knows if it still works.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 12:32:27 PM »

OK ... I did some tests

As I said the parameter should be passed by commandline to get them work : basically I've set up a socks server on the other PC in my local network with no authentication.

Code:
./openarena.i386 +set net_socksEnabled 1 +set net_socksPort <Port_Number> +set net_socksServer <Socks_Server>

The engine tries to connect but it fails.

Openarena Log :
SSE support is 2
--- Common Initialization Complete ---
IP: 127.0.0.1
IP: [..OMISSIS..]
IP6: ::1
IP6: [..OMISSIS..]eth0
Opening IP socket: 0.0.0.0:27960
Opening connection to SOCKS server.
NET_OpenSocks: request denied: 1

Socks server log :

Aug 13 20:10:04.021 [warn] socks5: command 3 not recognized. Rejecting.
Aug 13 20:10:04.021 [warn] Fetching socks handshake failed. Closing.
Aug 13 20:13:06.231 [warn] socks5: command 3 not recognized. Rejecting.
Aug 13 20:13:06.231 [warn] Fetching socks handshake failed. Closing.
Aug 13 20:19:47.309 [warn] socks5: command 3 not recognized. Rejecting.
Aug 13 20:19:47.346 [warn] Fetching socks handshake failed. Closing.

So I guess the engine is using an outdated socks5 implementation.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 10:57:32 AM by Falkland » Logged
almo
THIS ONE POST HERE SHOULD DO IT.

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 07:50:02 AM »

I haven't been able to get this to work, either. I'm an expert with port forwarding and stuff, so I'm pretty sure it's not that.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: