Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Site Downloads  (Read 10432 times)
PWNAGE
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

LEWL!

« on: August 25, 2010, 05:11:53 AM »

I have noticed that on the Download Page http://openarena.ws/download.php
You only have the actual game downloads but no maps or models or anything. Now this has been this way for quite some time and i was just wondering if you ever were going to upload some of these things.
 Huh

OPEN ARENA!!!!... it's cool

-PWNAGE- Anonymous Browsing
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 08:32:55 AM »

good idea. Probably has been asked before though (i think i remember some similar topic) and as you see nothing changed Sad
Someone_mad
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

Painted nails and long haired... I'm not a witch!

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 09:21:58 AM »

Yeah, I've posted a reply about it...  Sad
But nothin' changed...

RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 09:26:53 AM »

Ok then I'm not imagining the previous topic - or at least not the only one ^^
Anyway, fromhell/udi (whoever is in charge here now), why didn't anything change? I could help searching for and/or putting some stuff together to throw online here.
Someone_mad
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 10:20:41 AM »

Yeah!  Azn
Me too!

Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 04:31:38 AM »

To my knowledge, there are:
- few if no other skins already packaged for player models (except censored ones)
- few if no other models than ones which come with OA
- no other weapon model ?
- (I don't know what is a map model, some object to use in maps ? Right ...)
- a few maps which were sometimes removed for a good reason, the rest will be added in next release, and a tribute pack will probably be added to the site
- OA486 was never born
- some tools and plugins, for which it's sometimes better to leave the official website rather than hosting the software ourself

It's also unclear what is listed in this page, projects which were done inside the OA team or any GPL projects ?
There are a few external mods which were GPLed, such as Powerball and OA-fortress

Some of these files are already hosted there: http://download.tuxfamily.org/openarena/

Maybe you could try to find other resources which need to be listed, it's not worth complaining if there is nothing to add Wink

Todo: Walk the cat.
Someone_mad
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 07:55:14 AM »

Thank's for informations Cacatoes!
But it's shame that we can't have the download part completed. Tongue

RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 08:43:50 AM »

I have seen custom models and some weapons though. And what's the problem with for example tracking the 25 most populair maps on openarena (which aren't default maps) and uploading those every month to the site. I could probably track and upload it, the only thing is publish it here.
(25maps and 1month for time are just random chosen, can be more, less, longer or shorter ofcourse).

Also there are tons of mods available where people might be interrested in.

As the moment, the community is widely spread. Most players are only active ingame, clanmembers on their clanforum and a few other clanforums, people with an irc client on a few random irc channels, some players with facebook are member of the oa group there, a few also regularly check the oacl (clan league) forums, and a few developers and players are active here.
I don't think there is anyone active everywhere, so we need a central place. By making this site more interresting for everyone (so adding more downloads and things to do), we can centralize a lot of things and via that probably grow the community.

Not sure how many people saw it, but WaspKiller posted an announcement for the ctf event on a Lot of forums to get players. If more people were active here, he could just post here and some people would start copying it to their site. Most likely most members of the community would read about it somewhere, while the announcement has been posted just once or at most a few times.
And how many of you know that there is an Openarena lan-party coming up in 2011? It has been announced here, on a number of clanforums and facebook, but I doubt a lot of people here know about it.

hmm actually this post is going a little offtopic, but it might be something to think about. For now, let's focus on the download section. That's what this topic was started for Smiley
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 09:03:36 AM by RMF » Logged
PWNAGE
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

LEWL!

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 03:35:03 AM »

why not remove the parts that say "Models" and "Maps" from the site then. And just have the actual game

Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 05:31:35 AM »

Does it really matter ?

No in-development project is perfect, goal is to be constructive.

Todo: Walk the cat.
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 03:06:30 PM »

@Cacatoes, how does being constructive relate to not putting extra downloads on a site.

Pwnage, you start a topic for more downloads and then say that it doesn't really matter?
PWNAGE
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

LEWL!

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2010, 06:55:20 PM »

because if they cant add them why not remove them  Azn

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: