Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Server-side demo automatic recording :D  (Read 14982 times)
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« on: June 09, 2010, 04:41:48 PM »

I imagine a world where this dream comes true, server administrators could then host the demos on some webservers for some time.
The recording would start as soon as a human player joins the game, not to record bullshit with bots.
Would help video production, it's too much responsibility for a player to record its demo, even with cl_autorecord Cheesy
One problem is: it would require q3mme. Maybe it could switch point of view to the player who has the most frags.

Todo: Walk the cat.
Half-Nub

Cakes 10

Also known as Dots & cookies

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 08:36:07 AM »

I also like this idea. Grin If i am correct the Excessive Plus mod does this or its an cvar you can set for automatic recording. I also believe that it records all players as well. Not quite sure. Cheesy It also takes screenshots after every match.
Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 09:12:05 AM »

+1
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 01:25:37 AM »

yeah would be nice
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 12:25:19 PM »

I think it sounds like a great idea. It should not be that hard to record the state of the game on the server and then replay it later. There is some challenge because it must still be possible to spectate freely during playback. One might consider copying the unlagged state into it.

It would be fun if somebody would work on it.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 02:05:03 PM »

I would if i could Sad
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 03:50:22 PM »

I think it sounds like a great idea. It should not be that hard to record the state of the game on the server and then replay it later. There is some challenge because it must still be possible to spectate freely during playback. One might consider copying the unlagged state into it.

It would be fun if somebody would work on it.

I am not sure to remember well but I should have read somewhere that tremulous or tremfusion engine have this functionality. Maybe UrTEvolution too.
GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 11:12:15 AM »

If i am correct the Excessive Plus mod does this or its an cvar you can set for automatic recording. I also believe that it records all players as well. Not quite sure. Cheesy It also takes screenshots after every match.

No, in fact E+ supports multiview demos, and they can be automatically recorded (as screenshots) by setting :

Code:
xp_onEnter "startmvd"
xp_onExit "screenshotXP"

But you need an human operator to record these, it's not fully server-side (but as a workaround you could use GTV to record those demos automatically).

I agree that adding this functionnality directly in the engine would be just AWESOME !

Quote from: Falkland
I am not sure to remember well but I should have read somewhere that tremulous or tremfusion engine have this functionality. Maybe UrTEvolution too.

From your own post in the Real Aimbots thread :
http://patches.mercenariesguild.net/index.php?do=details&task_id=196
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 11:03:54 AM »

The Doctor has posted here a more reliable patch for an easier management of automatic serverside demo recording.

And I think it can be improved by adding a cvar for tuning parameters that activate autorecord : as now autorecord starts when a player has reached 0.9*fraglimit
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010, 11:15:32 AM »

Personally I find the Tremulous approach as the most interesting at least for baseoa. it is something like that I would hope for.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 02:12:39 PM »

Personally I find the Tremulous approach as the most interesting at least for baseoa. it is something like that I would hope for.

If I understand well , this patch could be the base also for something like TV insta replays for the football matches ....

Anyway TheDoctor's solution introduces the concept of autorecording guided by events which is desiderable to permit admins and players to go easily back in time and post-analyze demos to spot cheaters since demos are playable like a demo recorded clientside.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: