Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I want to write some music  (Read 10843 times)
badmuthahubbard
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: January 15, 2007, 12:09:50 AM »

Hi.  I would love to take a stab at writing some music for this game.  I'm a senior composition undergrad, and it'd be good on the ol resume.  I'd also enjoy it.  I'm fine with GPL.  I was actually thinking to use Csound, and if so I'd make the orc/sco files available under GPL.  Unfortunately I don't have much to share that's already written that would fit this; this is the most electronic thing I have:
http://www.badmuthahubbard.com/2001.ogg
Written for an assignment to fit a scene from 2001.  This isn't licensed, but all those synth sounds are easy enough to reproduce for something else.  Actually, for one more semester, I have access to a sweet synth lab, and a Moog, but I'm more interested in just using Csound.

I wasn't too sure what to make of the wiki page.  I couldn't find any of the Q3A files mentioned except "win" and "lose".  I take it some kind of looping would be expected, but about how long?  Any desired sounds?  Would different maps have different music?
I can, of course, play the game, too... just for inspiration Wink
badmuthahubbard
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 04:24:35 PM »

It occurs to me now that I only have the demo of Q3A, and there is no music during gameplay.  Not really looking to buy it...

Also, I don't know much about setting up sound for video games, but there are these functions called head-related transfer functions, HRTF, where you can input the vertical and horizontal angles and a sound file, and it gives you stereo placement *adjusted for the acoustics of the human head*, ears, etc. - so something above you sounds different from something behind you, etc.  Not sure if it's possible to use in a game.  The HRTF are included with Csound, so they may be GPL'ed.  There's definitely something extra about the Quake sound localization; it's not just stereo placement.  Might be distorted, or maybe there's just more ambient noise?  Anyone else notice the difference?
tw3k
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 12:31:12 AM »

hey nice banjo pic on your site. here's my bandolin
done with playthrough
badmuthahubbard
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 03:17:50 PM »

Okay, the Wiki says a tracker format is preferred.  Why?  Don't they want .wav files?
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 07:25:21 PM »

.wav files are huge.

Trackers are preffered because they're basically modifiable source. The engine supports .OGG and .WAV files for music playback, but for the sake of the GPL, trackers are preffered.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
badmuthahubbard
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 12:49:06 AM »

Csound okay?  The score and orchestra are all code, and compile soundfiles.  Csound itself is under GPL.  It's not exactly tracker- more like a programming language- but completely transparent.  Anyone at all could see and modify the code behind the music.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 01:22:59 AM »

Well as long as it can be "compiled" to a WAVE format (which can be processed to OGG) it's good ^_^

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: