Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Automatic download speed + fs_homepath error?  (Read 31065 times)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2010, 12:20:47 PM »

Hi guys. Some days passed... did someone check what that "Optimize for LAN" option does exactly?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2010, 12:56:42 PM »

I have.

IF sv_lanForceRate is on
AND the IP is a LAN-address (being on the same subnet)
AND com_dedicated is not 2
THEN A snapshot will be sent every serverframe no matter the rate on the client

IF sv_lanForceRate is off
AND the connection is not from the loopback device
THEN A snapshot will be sent as often as the rate of the client allows it.

ioquake3 improved the LAN address detection so that it is now based on the subnet, originally some hardcoded (and incorrect) values was defined.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2010, 04:27:48 AM »

Thank you!

Now let me understand... I need some more info:
- That "Optimize for lan" on the GUI changes a CVAR? Is it "sv_lanforcerate" or another one?
- What's the difference between "dedicated" and "com_dedicated?
- What happens if both the two situations you listed are not "true"?
- Automatic download is not related with serverframes, and thus this does not affect the automatic download speed, but only the "play info" packets? Or one may get an higher download speed if sets an higher sv_fps value?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2010, 05:59:54 AM »

Thank you!

Now let me understand... I need some more info:
- That "Optimize for lan" on the GUI changes a CVAR? Is it "sv_lanforcerate" or another one?
- What's the difference between "dedicated" and "com_dedicated?
- What happens if both the two situations you listed are not "true"?
- Automatic download is not related with serverframes, and thus this does not affect the automatic download speed, but only the "play info" packets? Or one may get an higher download speed if sets an higher sv_fps value?
-Yes
-It is the same just differently named in code and command
-Only the local machine will ignore rate all remote machines will be affected. Like default
-I don't know and have absolutely no interest in finding out. Everybody knows the build in download mechanism is fundamentally flawed. The reason I have looked into it was not to see if it could be repaired but to see if it could be replaced. Remember that increasing the line speed (or rate) have no effect if the algorithm that verify that data was transferred successful does not work at that speed.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2010, 01:12:53 PM »

I wonder why it has not been foreseen that one may want to have both a LAN optimization for the local players and his server published on the server list on Internet... but it is not so important...  Wait, maybe I understand... maybe because, being it subnet-based, if the server has got a public ip (without using a NAT), some internet addresses (few, I suppose) would have risk to be handeld like local addresses?

Okay, let's try to write an help for this option, to be placed DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Multiplayer]here.

If the "Optimize for LAN" option is enabled, the machines that connect to your server from your own LAN (from the same subnet) will ignore the "rate" limit and will get a "snapshot" for each server "frame" (they should get a more accurate representation of the simulated world). This "ignore rate limit" works only if your server "dedicated" mode is not set to 2, and only for machines in your same subnet. If you connect to your server from your "loopback" address (127.0.0.1, your own machine), it should always ignore the rate limit, not counting this option value. The "Optimize for LAN" option corresponds to the \sv_lanforcerate <0 or 1> variable.
For more info about "rate", "snaps", etc, please take a look to DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Tweak#Tweaking_online_gaming_parameters]Tweak#Tweaking_online_gaming_parameters[/i].

What do you think? Is this okay?

PS: I updated a bit DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/index.php?title=Tweak&diff=7116&oldid=6761]this, could you please you check if I did right?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 03:01:59 AM by Gig » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2010, 04:20:18 PM »

Nobody answers?  Undecided

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2010, 03:07:04 PM »

Please, someone...

Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2010, 01:05:10 AM »

s/lookback/loopback/g

The client IP should always easily be recognized as a WAN or LAN address, so normally no risk to "optimize for lan-it" by mistake.
From what I read above I understand you can:
- run a server for LAN with no optimization
- run a server for LAN with optimization
- run a server for Internet with no optimization for LAN, which is technically absurd, but the intent may have been not to create an additionnal advantage to LAN players over Internet players.

Todo: Walk the cat.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2010, 02:02:33 AM »

s/lookback/loopback/g

What's the meaning of this?
<I found a typing error in my previous post, I wrote "lookback" instead of "loopback"... did you mean this?>

For the remainig part of your post, I agree with you.

Ps: did you check if my update about the sv_maxrate was correct?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 03:01:42 AM by Gig » Logged

Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2010, 03:02:31 AM »

That's a geeky way when someone mistyped something to say s/he should replace some expressions, here "lookback" by "loopback".
I checked your info about maxrate, this seems correct to me. But right now I wonder what's the use of sv_maxrate because the server rate is set and I suppose it shouldn't go higher than that value, even if a player has a higher rate the server shouldn't want to satisfy it. So it seems like maxrate is like you're too lazy to fix your actual server rate and put it high value (expl: 999999), while wanting to have the rate inside a lower range (expl: 1000-30000). There may be something I miss.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2010, 04:00:37 AM »

Manual/Multiplayer page DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/index.php?title=Manual%2FMultiplayer&diff=7361&oldid=6946]updated.

I don't understand completely your words about sv_maxrate.... You talk about 999999... I'm not sure, but I think that everything ("rate" or "sv_maxrate") set over 25000 would be managed like it was 25000... isn't so?

Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2010, 05:52:30 AM »

I'm not sure, but I think that everything ("rate" or "sv_maxrate") set over 25000 would be managed like it was 25000... isn't so?
If some 25000 limit is hard-coded, then yes, but nobody confirmed there was ?

---

Okay there may have been some confusion from me.
Is /rate a client-only cvar ?
Are servers only affected by sv_minrate and sv_maxrate ? (and not by /rate ?)

I simply thought /rate and sv_maxrate were redundant, server-side.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2010, 06:13:55 AM »

AFAIK, "rate" is client-side, while "sv_maxrate" and "sv_minrate" are server-side.
If you launch oa_ded.exe, load a map, then write "rate", you will get an "unknown command"...

Anyway, It would be nice to have a confirm if 25000 is an hard-coded limit, and what "rate 0" or "sv_maxrate 0" values would do...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: