Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: WebP  (Read 6278 times)
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« on: October 01, 2010, 02:14:30 PM »

There's a new image format that Google's making that kicks the tar out of JPEG and JPEG 2000 in the size and quality department.

Curiously, I wonder how it would apply to game textures? Most importantly, loading speed?

Hope it's not a new format of bloat.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 10:06:44 PM »

Linky: http://code.google.com/speed/webp/

I'd say it'll be no faster than JPEG, perhaps slower, but we won't know until trying it.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 12:49:25 AM »

I suppose for the moment it is too early to say if this format will be a success or not. I read a short article about it yesterday, that pointed out (other than saying that someone already says that it seems not so wonderful) the fact that other formats tried to take the place of jpeg before, but they failed because the jpeg standard is too much diffused.
Jpeg 2000 itself, despite being better than jpeg, is not diffused...

Anyway, for the moment there are no browsers (or maybe even no programs at all, except a command line converter) able to read the new format... We will see in the future...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 09:23:20 AM »

There is a high possibility that the loading speeds will be fine, considered that it was meant for compressing keyframes in video. The loading speed will likely be determined by the implementation like so often before.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: