Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Awards  (Read 27854 times)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2010, 11:30:56 AM »

Killing Sprees and MultiKills

Okay, I found something starting from here...
I didn'k know that the OAX site contained such "help" pages...

Anyway, the pages taking about "Skilling Sprees", "Death Sprees" and "Multikills" seem to be:
http://code.google.com/p/oax/wiki/Enabling_Sprees_MultiKills
http://code.google.com/p/oax/wiki/Configuring_Sprees
http://code.google.com/p/oax/wiki/Sprees_and_Multikills
http://code.google.com/p/oax/wiki/MultKill_Config

But there are some things I don't understand.
1) What's the difference between "Killing Sprees" and "Death Sprees"?
2) Why does the killing spree configuration file (specified in the "g_sprees" variable, default "sprees.dat") has to be placed into the "appdata" folder (under Windows, %APPDATA%\OpenArena\baseoa) only? Usually, you can select to place your custom files (I'm talking about .pk3 or .cfg files, I don't know about .dat files!) there or also under the installation folder\baseoa, as you wish. Why does this is different?
3) I created a test "sprees.dat" file. When I reach a spree with the "printpos = 2" option, the message correctly appears in console. But the sprees with the "printpos = 1" option do not work correcly, imho: the message is printed on the main screen only when another player gets it, not if I earn it (note: with printpos 1, it is not printed in console at all, but only on the main screen).
4) With "printpos = 1", the fonts are huge... I don't know exacly how many of them are shown, but it seems about 40 characters (or maybe 43 at max)... The example on the OAX page says "[n] is on a killing spree!!! ( [k] kills!!! )": use a short player name like "player" and the message will result "Player is on a killing spree!!! ( 5 kills!!! )": it is 47 characters long, and the text goes out of the screen. Not very nice. I suppose that smaller fonts should be used there. The help page says that the killing spree message should work correctly up to 150 output characters, but probably it is true only for the messages printed in the console...
5) The "MultiKill" configuration help page is not completed: there is no indication of how to configure them!!! It seems that one should place them in the same "sprees.dat" file (indicating a different audio file depending from how many frags the player gets in few seconds?), but there is not indication of how they should be written.

Someone can help me?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2010, 11:42:27 AM »

AFAIK:
Killing Sprees = amount of times you frag without being fragged.
Death Sprees = amount of times you are fragged without fragging.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2010, 05:38:55 AM »

1) What's the difference between "Killing Sprees" and "Death Sprees"?
2) Why does the killing spree configuration file (specified in the "g_sprees" variable, default "sprees.dat") has to be placed into the "appdata" folder (under Windows, %APPDATA%\OpenArena\baseoa) only? Usually, you can select to place your custom files (I'm talking about .pk3 or .cfg files, I don't know about .dat files!) there or also under the installation folder\baseoa, as you wish. Why does this is different?
3) I created a test "sprees.dat" file. When I reach a spree with the "printpos = 2" option, the message correctly appears in console. But the sprees with the "printpos = 1" option do not work correcly, imho: the message is printed on the main screen only when another player gets it, not if I earn it (note: with printpos 1, it is not printed in console at all, but only on the main screen).
4) With "printpos = 1", the fonts are huge... I don't know exacly how many of them are shown, but it seems about 40 characters (or maybe 43 at max)... The example on the OAX page says "[n] is on a killing spree!!! ( [k] kills!!! )": use a short player name like "player" and the message will result "Player is on a killing spree!!! ( 5 kills!!! )": it is 47 characters long, and the text goes out of the screen. Not very nice. I suppose that smaller fonts should be used there. The help page says that the killing spree message should work correctly up to 150 output characters, but probably it is true only for the messages printed in the console...
5) The "MultiKill" configuration help page is not completed: there is no indication of how to configure them!!! It seems that one should place them in the same "sprees.dat" file (indicating a different audio file depending from how many frags the player gets in few seconds?), but there is not indication of how they should be written.
1. As Neon_Knight said. I outcommented deathsprees in the default sprees.dat because I did not find it to encourage good behavior.
2. It works as all other files... although to prevent misunderstanding configuration files should be placed in the homepath or people might not understand why they get overruled. This is not a problem for sprees.dat but it is for the admin-config file.
3-4. The center print messege is broken. It will always be overwritten by the "fragged %s" message for the player.
5. Based on the content of g_killspree.c I guess it is something like this in the sprees.dat-file:
[mkill]
kills = 1
message = Some message
sound = sound/misc/mysound.wav

SharpestTool might have some additional documentation somewhere on the forum.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2010, 03:23:26 AM »

1) Right thing, IMHO.
2) Now I understand why it doesn't work if I place a sprees.dat inside the installation/baseoa folder: it's because there is a default sprees.dat packaged into pak6-patch085.pk3 (before I thought that the default message was hard-coded in the source code, but it's not the case). This suggests that, if there are two files with the same name in the same folder, but one inside a pk3 and the other outside it, the one in the pk3 "wins"...
3-4) Do you think you will fix it? Showing it on a different line, or after the "frag" message disappeared... Anyway, it should use smaller fonts: 40-43 characters are few for this kind of message!
5) I will try it... If it works, I suggest, for the next release, to put a multikill example (commented out!) in the default sprees.dat. And maybe (just an idea) for the next major release (the first that will not be applicable as a patch, but will need a clean install), to place that file outside the pk3, to let people find it and modify it.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 03:49:58 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2010, 04:16:34 AM »

This suggests that, if there are two files with the same name in the same folder, but one inside a pk3 and the other outside it, the one in the pk3 "wins"...
Appears so. I always thought the file outside the pk3 file won if it was a user editable file like dat,cfg or txt file.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2010, 08:26:48 AM »

Sago, I placed a customized "sprees.dat" in my &appdata%\openarena\baseoa folder, with killing spree, death spree and multikills.

It seems to work correcly when I open a map with "devmap", but not when I launch it with the standard "map" command: in this case, the default "sprees.dat" (from the 085 patch) is used instead of mine, and after I set g_altexcellent 1, it is automatically reset to its deault when the map is restarted.

UPDATE: Uhm.. maybe this has already been fixed in OAX B47?
PS: I noticed that g_spreediv and g_altexcellent are reset to their default after you close the game.. is this intentional?

Update2: I created the DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Killing_Sprees,_Death_Sprees_and_Multikills]Killing Sprees, Death Sprees and Multikills page on the "standard" Wiki... could you please take a look? Thank you!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 06:19:22 PM by Gig » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: