Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: New CTF maps  (Read 98840 times)
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2010, 11:24:54 AM »

I dont really understand where its diferent =/
The models in OpenArena are misaligned. I posted some aligned models in this thread: http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=3051.0
Back then I posted that I did not know about the bot-bug.

(and in 0.8.5 it was fixed, AFAIK)
Unfortunately not. It is still a problem.

In the source code it appears that the obelisk should fall to the ground and thereby be added to the ground entity list (the list the bot searches for possible goals). But for some reason it does not fall to the ground. Only the hitbox falls to the ground.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2010, 05:02:37 PM »

Sorry for the late reply, I had a busy week.

Good progress but I found a bug on the latest beta of Colusseum.

Red base looks fine.

One shall remind what have he left behind... to actually realize that it's still cool.
adriano

Cakes 4

« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2010, 06:17:24 AM »

A new CTF map from *SoS*THOR is in development (DOWNLOAD), see also here:
http://clansos.sosforum.net/links-downloads-f8/e-mi-improvviso-mapper-p-t353-15.htm

Suggestions?

(we know about textures, it will be fixed)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2010, 06:37:21 AM »

Hi guys. DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/index.php?title=Mapping_information_for_special_gametypes&diff=7732&oldid=7713]I did what I could to expand the DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/index.php?title=Mapping_information_for_special_gametypes]Mapping information for special gametypes page.

But I'm not a mapper, thus someone of you should check it, correct it, and possibly expand it with the gametypes still missing. Please.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2010, 08:26:03 AM »

I've added a bit of info.I've added a bit of info.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Moixie
Lesser Nub

Cakes 6

« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2010, 05:00:07 AM »

Can we get someone in here that is not so cheesy ?

hm, interresting. good question.

then, about the white line in the blue base
Im sorry and I will fix it, but its the kind of "bugs" I like to see in my maps, it reminds me how I made it and maybe just that I made it...

by the way, I found another bug in the colloseum, there is a Neutral flag in CTF.. I fixed it.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 02:59:58 PM by Moixie » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2010, 11:33:37 AM »

A new CTF map from *SoS*THOR is in development (DOWNLOAD), see also here:
http://clansos.sosforum.net/links-downloads-f8/e-mi-improvviso-mapper-p-t353-15.htm
Suggestions?
(we know about textures, it will be fixed)
Maybe creating an apposite thread about it, leaving this to the maps from Moixie?
Just an idea...

PS: Nice looking map!  Smiley
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 02:53:52 PM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2010, 12:49:28 PM »

I've added a bit of info.
Thank you, man!
I took a look, it seems a good work. Thank you!
Since I noticed you used "bold" font for each entity name mentioned, I beginned to add it to some entities names that still did not were bold.... but then I thought that maybe you wanted to do more updates to the page, and the "non-bold" entities could help you to remember where you left. So I stopped "bolding" them. They started from One Flag Capture mode, if you want to continue from there in updating the page...

I have some questions:
1) Why did you say the "Domination" mode to be a "non-objective-based gamemode", DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Mapping_information_for_special_gametypes#General]here? Probably simply because it uses deathmatch spawn point... then a way to fix the sentence, for example, could be <<For non-objective based gamemodes (FFA, Tournament, LMS, Team Deathmatch), plus Domination, players start at ...>>
2) Now I discover that the names used in the "gametype" key within the map, and in the .arena files differ for gametype 1 ("tournament" in the map - "tourney" in the .arena). Is this a typing error or is correct? In the latter case, we should mention this DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Mapping#Gametypes]here.
3) What about dividing the "Elimination and CTF Elimination" section into two separate sections? It would be clearer where talking about the "gametype" keys, I think...
4) What about writing info about the number of spawnpoints needed? Few spawnpoints will cause telefragging at the beginning of the match, I suppose. How many? 16? And I don't understand if there are not enough points flagged as "INITIAL", would the others be used or there will be telefragging? In general, maybe that part DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Mapping_information_for_special_gametypes#General]about spawnpoints may be a little more detailed. Well, in gametypes different than Elimination/CTF Elimination/Last Man Standing, the risk of initial telefragging is lower since players enter the game as soon as their machines end loading the map (not all computers have the same speed), or as they select "join game/red/blue" from the menu (not all players will do it in the same fraction of second)... but Elimination and LMS modes may pontentially be played in every map...
5) I suppose we could also copy the phrase that is in the "Mapping" page: <<Note: You should always have at least one spawnpoint (info_player_deathmatch) without a gametype key in a map or the map might crash when new gametypes are added.>>
6) What about moving (renaming) the page to "Mapping informations for each gametype"? "Information" or "Informations"? Other suggestions?

PS: Again, thank you!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 05:46:40 PM by Gig » Logged

Thor001
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2010, 03:27:57 PM »

My mistake... sorry
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2010, 07:04:49 PM »

Checked some maps, here're my thoughts, tips and suggestions:

mx2dm1 (q3dm6ish remix)
* Very grim and colour-lacking. There's next to no distinction between areas or floors. You should consider that.
* Consider replacing the Railgun with another weapon. In the upper floor, it just covers a lot of space.
* Keep on the development of this map. It looks "inspired by" q3dm6(ish), yet it isn't a straight-forward version of that map unlike q3dm6ish. In some occasions I even had a feeling of playing cpm1a.
* The map feels very "blocky". You should consider using patches for corners.

mx1ctf5 (sweet brutality)
* Nice for small matches.
* Check the doors, sometimes one of these opens while the other doesn't.
* Consider using patches in the jumpers, they look very blocky.
* Other than those 3 options, I have no complaints.

mx2ctf1
* Put the Railgun out of the map, (it may be a Game Breaker) and/or place some covering in the passages (such as boxes, oildrums, or things like that, check also my first suggestion below) Try to place these in such way that these shouldn't interrupt the player's movement.
* Some textures are missing. Screenshots:
* This teleporter looks a bit messy. Screenshot:
* Change the destination of the teleporters or just remove them. It's not a good idea to have them ending directly in the base.
* The models for the flagbases are floating. Check suggestion 2.

I haven't opened the editor yet (I must make it to work) yet I have some extra suggestions:

* Extract (BUT DON'T DELETE) the models folder from the pak0.pk3, pak5-TA.pk3 and pak6-patch085.pk3 files into the baseoa folder. That way you can use many models which come from the game. You can also download the entire models folder from the SVN. (use a download client or a subversion client to checkout just that branch) There're many other models and you can even create your own ones, which you can manipulate later by hand-hacking the model files.
* If you have problems with the flags and obelisks, then just use the flags, and the obelisk models. The white flag should have the "gametype"/"oneflag harvester" property, so it shouldn't show in the other modes.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2010, 11:20:37 AM »

I've managed to check mx2ctf1 in NetRadiant. And yes, the problem was that the origin property of the obelisks was floating. Give the following items the following properties, through the entity window:

blue obelisk => "origin" "-256.000000 -192.000000 -188.000000"
blue obelisk => "gametype" "obelisk harvester"
red obelisk => "origin" "-216.000000 3328.000000 -188.000000"
red obelisk => "gametype" "obelisk harvester"
neutral obelisk => "origin" "-240.000000 1568.000000 -372.000000"
neutral obelisk => "gametype" "harvester"

Don't worry if it sinks a bit. Just test it as it is.

Oh, and just another advice: use caulk when doing your map, and texturize it later. I've checked that there're lots of textured surfaces which aren't visible ingame. That hurts the performance.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2010, 08:55:23 AM »

I've found a solution for your problem with the doors in mx2ctf1:

Use the "team" property in the doors, that way they should open at the same time:

"team"/"bluedoors" for both doors of the blue side.
"team"/"reddoors" for both doors of the red side.

@Gig: Sorry that I couldn't reply your PM. I didn't saw your post. I'll check that later.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2010, 02:17:16 PM »

I don't see doors in mx2ctf1...

Maybe are you talking about mx1ctf5? The two parts of those doors that do not open at the same time are a bug? I thought they were a feature, to do something different than usual... I find them funny... Smiley

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2010, 02:42:20 PM »

Yeah, mx1ctf5, my mistake. Tongue

Moixie
Lesser Nub

Cakes 6

« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2010, 01:42:49 PM »

Mx1ctf5:

--> Doors open in the same time
--> I used Patches for jumpers
--> A new sky, it looks better than before
--> I caulked all the map, performance seems a litlle better =)
--> the lower floor is lower.. punched
--> removed the Domination point wiwh was in the midlle, I called the 2 others Red/blue Corridors
--> I used a "Target_intermission", because there are bugs when we touch a door like a Spectator
--> a New Screenshot which goes with the target_intermission, it does like in ps37ctf

Mx2ctf1:

--> The railgun is now on the teleporter Platform, then, I dont think it can really stop attackers but there were no weapons out of bases, its boring when you have the flag, ennemies are in your base and the only weapon you have is the machinegun..
--> I put the Obelisks how you wanted it to be, there werent any problem with that before thought
--> Im trying diferent sort of teleporter, for the moment, a Mirror or a portal seem being the best =/
       I will finnally put something more like before, a mirror or the portal would be too.. I prefer like it is now, I put a screen
--> the teleporters' exit is where the rail was =)
---> I added some boxes in the lateral ways and in the base

M3ctf2:

--> I added some atificials lights in the map, now everyplace aare seeable
--> no bugs anymore in the blue base
--> I caulked everything ! muahahhaha !
--> I deleted many brushes, 698 brushes in the t4, actually 500 =)
     its really cleaner
--> no Obelisks problem anymore, bots dont shoot at me ! :')

ps: sorry about the Screen, its on TGA... I fixed it..

pps: I dont like working on a map if I dont see how its going... then I prefer working on and when Im sure that all is perfect I select everything and I apply the Caulk, then I just put textures surfaces by surfaces and I am Happy Smiley

ppps: I dont really like models.. I think it could stop attackers who are running away or helping camp to put some barils or any other models, then, I put some boxes in the bases and in the laterals ways =)

« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 12:20:48 PM by Moixie » Logged
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2010, 01:52:05 PM »

Also check Edit => Preferences => Brush => Always use caulk for new brushes and Edit => Preferences => Clipper => Clipper tool uses caulk. That may help you. These are available in NetRadiant, though I don't know/remember in other *Radiant editors.

Moixie
Lesser Nub

Cakes 6

« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2010, 05:25:52 AM »

I have a problem with the blue light texture in the mx2ctf1.  Sad
I dont know why.
I didnt really search why it doesnt or how it would work, I think it is about the shader...

(then, I dont know anything about shaders.. thats maybe why I think this is the problem  Undecided )
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2010, 05:41:04 AM »

You should add the shader name in your baseoa/scripts/shaderlist.txt file (I don't know which operating system you use) before using any shader you made. There are plenty of other shaders to be added there as well.

Moixie
Lesser Nub

Cakes 6

« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2010, 11:32:55 AM »

I use "Windows" (yes... Cry )
then, I tried to do it but I removed the shaderlist.txt some weeks ago because I didnt like how it looked xDD
so I tried to get it on the svn bu tthere was only a list written, so I tried to create it once more... apparently, it failed x)
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2010, 12:07:43 PM »

Just write an empty file with all the names of the .shader files in the pk3s. That should be enough.

Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2010, 02:19:19 PM »

And be sure, to have no shader somewhere in your oa path (pk3 and so on) with the same name.
I had trouble for weeks to find such a shader somewhere deep in an existing pk3  Angry
Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2010, 02:35:08 PM »

I had trouble for weeks to find such a shader somewhere deep in an existing pk3  Angry

The DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/List_of_OA_shaders]OA shaders Wiki page could help in such cases. Only with the stock shaders of course, if you have a shader in some other extra package, you have to find it by hand.

http://udionline.hu/en/projektek/openarena/
Todo list: 1. q3dm17 textures replacement (95% done)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #72 on: November 16, 2010, 04:31:20 PM »

Moixie, when a new beta to try?  Smiley
Did you make some improvement to Volcano?

---------------------------
Neon, did you have the time to read this post? What do you think about it?

Moixie
Lesser Nub

Cakes 6

« Reply #73 on: November 17, 2010, 06:26:57 AM »

once the texture problem fixed, I ll search for some times and if I think that all is correct I ll upload it =)
then.. the colloseum and mx2ctf1 havnt so much improvements whereas Mx1ctf5 seems really better to my eyes =)

by the way, I caulked the maps and performence are much better than before for mx1ctf5 and the colloseum

I didnt touch to the volcano yet and I think that I won't touch to it for a moment =)
Actually, the map was just a trip and I dont think that the map in itself is really good or just playable..

about the textures, I got the "shader list" and I add my name to it. I put it in the mx2ctf1_t3 pak3  but it still doesnt work, and.. red lights texture in the teleporter dont work anymore oO (it starts nicely)
I just tried it in some minutes so I will see it today and I think you ll can test all the map tonight (if I am lucky and cleverer than usual)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 07:22:15 AM by Moixie » Logged
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #74 on: November 17, 2010, 08:32:48 AM »

You should do something about it. It has potential to be very fun.
I've forgot to put my critics about that map. It can be a fun fragfest map, with some things:

* Switch the battle suit and proxy mines (Prox should has no ammo if no team items are in each base) places, for example: put battlesuits in the bases, and the prox in the middle area. Oh, and a normal battlesuit, not a modified one. (I've noticed the BS has 90 minutes)
* Since the map is called "Volcano", you should put in the top a sky.
* Add some cover in the bases. Big rocks, for example. You can also add a rock in front of the flag.
* Add some platforms. I don't know, some at the sides of the base with some other weapon or item. Maybe the Kamikaze and the Megahealth.

Just my $0,02.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: