Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: quake style  (Read 8141 times)
tisnix
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: January 16, 2007, 05:56:11 AM »

What i was thinkin, during modeling.
Why is it that open arena is so much quake-stylish? You run the same engine, you make your own maps, but they come in the same style as quake arena.
I think open arena should be more self-stylish.
you should try to get away from the quake idea.
Is oa meant to be different, or meant to be a Q3A replacement?

i like oa a lot thought Smiley
Sindwiller
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 09:15:33 AM »

Why is it that open arena is so much quake-stylish? You run the same engine, you make your own maps, but they come in the same style as quake arena.

Odd. I think the complete opposite. OA doesn't even match the Quake 3 style a bit! OA does not have this creepy and violent tone similiar to Quake games. It starts with the sounds and ends with the character and weapon designs. Oh, and btw, AFAIK, none of the maps shipped with OA were specifically designed for OA. They're ports of more or less popular and GPL'd Quake maps.

Is oa meant to be different, or meant to be a Q3A replacement?

Kind of a replacement I think. When you want a different flow or look, check Nexuiz (uhh, really *UNREAL* physics there; sometimes really bothering!), Warsow (Attention! K1ddy 4pp431 Tongue) or Sauerbraten (really, really, oldschool. Almost no dynamics. !*!License!*!) out.

Well, good luck with your modelling projects =)

jdodson
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 07:22:14 PM »

its a bit like quake3, but i play them both back to back and the differences are huge. 
Keet
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

"Violent, stingy, schizophrenic..."

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 07:55:53 PM »

Quake-stylish, as in? Well...this is meant to be a sort of free Quake 3 package so people can create mods off of them. The modeling is NOTHING like Quake 3's (and definitely better, in graphics and in modeling).

OA is supposed to be as Vanilla-Q3 as possible (I don't exactly know what VQ3 is, may as well do some research), so game types, physics, etc. etc. should remain the same, or should be as similar to Quake 3's as possible. Content doesn't however. In a sense, it's not exactly a replacement pack. Sure, you can go ahead and overwrite all of Quake 3's content with OA's (no one is stopping you there), but again, it's more of a standalone package. Not just a game, but also for people to make mods out of.

We all like OA a lot. Otherwise, we wouldn't spend our time here in this forum every day XD

Pronouns are evil!

"Violent, stingy, schizophrenic... It sounds... like me!" ~~B.B. Hood

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 07:14:49 PM »

it's not quake-ish enough at this point currently because I had the fancy pants characters in priority first.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: