Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Linux server and Windows client not connecting  (Read 10906 times)
fnbrier
Ok i've posted twice!

Cakes 0

« on: November 03, 2010, 09:17:40 PM »

I have one machine running Fedora 13 x86_64 and the Quake3 from the repo (ioq3 1.36).  Another machine is running Windows XP and is running the latest version 0.8.5 downloaded from openarena.ws.  Both have the blue menu scheme.  The Linux openarena shows "Protocol: 68" in the lower left corner and "0AX" in the lower right.  The Windows version has nothing in the lower left corner and "0AX" in the lower right.  If I host a multiplayer game on the Linux box and try to connect with the Windows box, the Windows box cannot see the Linux game.  I have punched all the holes in the firewalls on both machines.  I can ping the other system's IP and hostname from both systems.  If I try to force a connection specifying the IP address of the server, it just hangs, awaiting connection.

So this should work, should it not?  Windows and Linux versions should be able to play together, yes?  Thank you for any help resolving this.

Here is some more detail.

The exact text of the client screen is "Connecting to <local-ip-addr>:27960", followed by "Awaiting Connection... <incrementing number>", and "Server Uses Protocol Version 68."  The server machine does not show any clients attempting to connect to the game.

Attempting to host the game on the Windows box and connect with the Linux box as a client results in the same message except that the last line says "...Protocol Version 71" instead of "...Protocol Version 68".

So apparently the Windows box running 0.8.5 is protocol 71, and the Linux running 1.36 is protocol 68.  Both with the same new blue menu scheme.  What do I need to do to get them to talk to each other?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 10:08:41 PM by fnbrier » Logged
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 01:33:10 AM »

If the game appears in the masterlist, check what port it has. Linux server should work perfectly fine with windows clients.

If it does not appear, try typing net_port in the server and see what port it says.

I always have that it choses a random port when i start it, even when i set the net_port startup parameter it's a gamble if it works (and  no, there isn't already a listening socket on that port).
Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 04:19:09 AM »

I have one machine running Fedora 13 x86_64 and the Quake3 from the repo (ioq3 1.36).  Another machine is running Windows XP and is running the latest version 0.8.5 downloaded from openarena.ws.

You shouldn't install the ioquake3 binary on Fedora, but the OpenArena binary. If there's no such RPM package in the repo, then you can always download the version from the website. I think the protocol numbers are hardcoded into the engine.

http://udionline.hu/en/projektek/openarena/
Todo list: 1. q3dm17 textures replacement (95% done)
fnbrier
Ok i've posted twice!

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 06:47:18 AM »

The quake3 yum package is supposed to be openarena.  However, your suggestion of installing the binary off of the openarena.ws site will be my next step.  I just like using yum because the packages get upgraded with little to no effort on my part.  I did find a current bug on redhat bugzilla that appears to my problem:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=565763

The last comment was made in July however and no new replacement package yet made available <sigh>.
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 08:04:13 AM »

Debian found a way to use ioquake3 package as a base to run openarena, not only the protocol but also things like g_humanplayer patch (which has been applied to ioq3 main tree), though this is rather recent work, that could help Fedora in having a similar solution.

Todo: Walk the cat.
WingedPanther

Cakes 4

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 07:25:34 PM »

Can the windows machine specify the IP address of the Linux machine and connect?  I have a problem where I host on Linux, and Windows boxes have to specify IP.  When they do, the game goes on with no issues.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 03:42:36 AM »

You mean your server is not listed in dpmaster ? Or do you play local game ?

Todo: Walk the cat.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: