Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: New CTF space map  (Read 56685 times)
Thor001
Nub

Cakes 2

« on: November 08, 2010, 03:22:53 PM »

Hello all,
i have develloped this map, is my first map for oa also if in past i have done other maps for q3 and ut2k1 (never posted online). I think that is a nice map to see and play, fast but not so easy for score... i hope is a balanced map. I wait counsel and good critics.
See you soon
Thor

PS: I'm sorry for my bad english
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 03:37:50 PM »

I tried it and it is interesting but what I would really like is a screenshot in this topic.

I also noticed that the arena file says that it works in oneflag but there are no neutral flag.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 03:41:14 PM »

I suggest you to make it compatible with more gametypes (see DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Mapping_information_for_special_gametypes]Mapping information for special gametypes), adding obelisks, etc.... and to place at least one deathmatch spawn point, to prevent the map from crashing the engine when loaded in gametypes like FFA and TDM...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 03:43:08 PM »

Nice work, Thor.
Gig is right: i usualy take a 1st look on a map from my console (/map thor) and this crashes the engine.
Thor001
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 03:52:16 PM »

I also noticed that the arena file says that it works in oneflag but there are no neutral flag.
Hello Sago... my mistake for arena file, i go to correct this and add two deathmatch spawn point (thx for suggest Gig) and i will put a new link but may be tomorrow, now i want post some screenshot and also understand about "Mapping information for special gametypes".
I am sorry for all that inconvenient... this is my first map
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 03:58:34 PM »

(Welcome on the board Wink )

I only have 2 remarks:
1) I noticed you didn't add spawnpoints for FFA gametype.
You should add some, otherwise starting the game with g_gametype 0 crashes the game. (So I join Gig here)
2) You might find a name for the map, for now it is the same than your nickname Wink

I haven't played it with human players so I can't say much about the gameplay.
The layout is of course simple but it might bring speedy games.
On the overall it has a funny oldschool feeling (the space theme of the map, the way you use shaders, the colored circles...) Wink

GG! And good job for replacing the textures from your previous version Smiley

Note: there is no inconvenience, these are smalls mistakes which are very normal to make !

Todo: Walk the cat.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 04:06:11 PM »

You may also add location names... I suggest to add them in any map meant for team modes...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Thor001
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 04:28:12 PM »

I hope that screenshot are not too big, in case i will do only link Wink

12 - The two columns are usefull for prevent exploit base-base in 5 seconds
13 - Axis map detail
14 - Inside the blue base
15 - Inside the red base
16 -  Some light game Smiley
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 07:46:37 PM by Thor001 » Logged
Thor001
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 04:32:42 PM »

1) I noticed you didn't add spawnpoints for FFA gametype.
You should add some, otherwise starting the game with g_gametype 0 crashes the game. (So I join Gig here)
I will Wink
2) You might find a name for the map, for now it is the same than your nickname Wink
LOL... for me Thor is perfect... Mmm... oa_Thor?
You may also add location names... I suggest to add them in any map meant for team modes...
I know but... i have to understand how to do Sad
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 04:44:30 PM »

About the name, maybe it could be something like "thor_ctfspace1", "oa_thor1", "thor_ctf1"... or maybe it could be related to the "full name" of the map (don't ask me the "real" name of this, I'm not a mapper)...
For the moment, it does not have a full name, right? Maybe "Space Bridge"?

About location names, I don't know, but probably it may be explained in some of the tutorials you can find linked DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Mapping_resources_%26_tutorials]here... (if you find a good explaination on how to use them, please let me know).

Thor001
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 09:50:49 AM »

Now the map is compatible with next game type:

Capture the Flag
One Flag Capture
OverLoad
Harvester
CTF Elimination
Double Domination

You can download from here.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 03:12:31 PM »

Tested in the new modes, with some bots... very nice!

Haw about adding Domination points, too?

I see you haven't chosen a complete name yet.

I hope that someone may tell how to set location names (or link an external tutorial that does)...

Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2010, 03:46:51 PM »

You just have to put a target_location in your map with "message" as key and "here comes the mouse" (or whatever) as key.
Other options are described in the radiant.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2010, 03:48:20 PM »

One thing I would like is a different filename for each new version (thor_1,thor_2 etc). Especially important during gameplay testing as I might want to refer to a given version. It also makes it easier to ensure that I have the latest version.

Thor001
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2010, 04:56:36 PM »

Tested in the new modes, with some bots... very nice!
Haw about adding Domination points, too?
I see you haven't chosen a complete name yet.
Sorry Gig, but the long first name for map was "Thor's Valhalla" and i'd like this name Smiley
Next map (if will be) will have different name from nordic culture.
About Domination, i did try to insert 2 domination_point on flag places but they don't want to work :/
You just have to put a target_location in your map with "message" as key and "here comes the mouse" (or whatever) as key.
Other options are described in the radiant.
I did (i did set count too) but don't work Sad
One thing I would like is a different filename for each new version (thor_1,thor_2 etc). Especially important during gameplay testing as I might want to refer to a given version. It also makes it easier to ensure that I have the latest version.
Sure... next version will have name: thor#.pk3 where # is a number Smiley
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2010, 05:06:23 PM »

About location names, I just wrote something DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Mapping#Location_names]here...

... I don't know why they don't work in your map...

... same thing for domination points..

Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2010, 03:22:39 PM »

I did (i did set count too) but don't work Sad

Is there a .map file which i could take my hands on?
If not: try loading oasago2.map from SVN.
I know, that there are working target_location entities Smiley
Thor001
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2010, 04:17:29 PM »

My mistake, i did compile the map and after i did use an old bsp file without locations Embarrassed LOL
I have definitively finished the map, all mod are

Capture the Flag
One Flag Capture
OverLoad
Harvester
CTF Elimination
Double Domination
Domination

Target_location are on and they are coloured (if i send to my team a message from red map side the location is coloured in red, green if from the map center or blu from blu map side). I have changed also the green tower geometric.
This is not the last one release, the last one will have inside the GPL license Smiley
Download
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2010, 04:33:51 PM »

Two things...

The height of the wall in the middle are very unfortunate in that are reachable with 125 fps physics but not accurate or 91 fps. It is not as critical as in ps37ctf but still worth noting.

You should consider providing the map-file during development.

Thor001
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2010, 04:49:14 PM »

Mmm... my english is not so good... do you mean that is possible to jump from the bridges like in ps37ctf? All wall's bridges have same height.
In case i have understand right, i can add height to the walls Wink
Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2010, 08:02:54 PM »

I noticed too but forgot to tell, Sago wanted to say that walls are too high.
If you have OA 0.8.5, by default, you jump a little lower than with OA 0.8.1 (and 125fps).
So, when I test your map, I can't reach the zone where there are the green health in the middle of the map.
And it's the same at other places on the map, I can't jump over most of the edges.
So, if you want these zones to be accessible, you should remove a bit of height from these walls Wink

You can check the demo I provide here Smiley (note: there are incompatibilities between 081 and 085 so the demo may not work)

Thor001
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2010, 04:13:23 AM »

Mmm... i did the wall's height intentionally because the map has a lot of health and if a player want jump there, there are 2 methods:

1) Walk over the wall from stairs
2) Use Rocket or plasma jump

The walls are so high also because so players don't jump in the space from bridge... if someone wants can jump in the space from base side Tongue
Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2010, 04:59:35 AM »

Oh, it's intentionnal then, It's fine as it is. Smiley

Thor001
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2010, 07:14:36 AM »

Definitive version. It has GPL license and the fix for a little bug (align between 2 textures).

Download
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 09:25:53 AM by Thor001 » Logged
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2010, 08:32:36 AM »

Great. I'll check your map later.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: