Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [WIP] 0.9.0 Neko Skin  (Read 23801 times)
VortexHU
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« on: November 12, 2010, 03:00:44 PM »

You guys might recall that I tried a simple GIMP Resynthesizer skinning of the Neko model just to see how it would do. I've worked a bit on the texturing of the model (independent of that result, as it wasn't usable).

Resynthesizer version (orange w/the rest of the mesh untouched) and new version (just the body) both attached. Any comments/suggestions?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 04:44:01 PM by VortexHU » Logged

— VortexHU —
dbX

Cakes 11

Shazpaca!

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 08:55:33 AM »

The second image looks nice, but the first one kind feels like wood instead of fur.

In defeat we learn.
VortexHU
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 06:27:05 PM »

The second image looks nice, but the first one kind feels like wood instead of fur.

Thanks. I should remember to try an intentionally wooden texture at some point. Smiley The first is just for comparison, I'm only working on the second.

Update attached. Eyes (mostly) fixed, lopsided legs fixed (but now needs larger blend), fur has less contrast, ears and head now blend, abdominal seam gone (still need to do shoulder seam), tail colored, nose changed a bit, maybe other things I'm forgetting.

Btw, the head model and neck don't quite come together at the back (or at least it looks that way in Blender), but it's not a very big hole.

— VortexHU —
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 09:21:05 PM »

The skin is way too bright and undefined.
OA uses overbrights to bring out more tones and this skin will appear VERY WASHED OUT in-game.
As for "undefined", even with fur you'll still have to shade the muscle. Even real cats exposed strong muscle tones

the head model not quite attached is a side-effect on how q3 handles players. It's this or...... some different game.

also it looks like a cat lol

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
VortexHU
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 12:22:17 AM »

The skin is way too bright and undefined.
OA uses overbrights to bring out more tones and this skin will appear VERY WASHED OUT in-game.

idk what overbrights is, to the forum search! (edit: so far i haven't found any info on exactly what overbright is and thus what to do in consideration of it.)

edit 2: should everything be scaled by some percentage, e.g.? what color appears white? do you mean that saturation or value is enhanced, or what? thx in advance.

As for "undefined", even with fur you'll still have to shade the muscle. Even real cats exposed strong muscle tones
[...]
also it looks like a cat lol

it's modelled off a house cat. i figured that was appropriate given the model name and appearance. i thought they don't usually have too much apparent muscle tone, especially w/longer hair (and the fact that this thing has large amounts of fat... elsewhere), but ur right i probably should put some in (time to check out lions!).

the head model not quite attached is a side-effect on how q3 handles players. It's this or...... some different game.

gotta love the little quirks of a game engine. what does the second sentence mean?

— VortexHU —
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 05:12:33 AM »

gotta love the little quirks of a game engine. what does the second sentence mean?
I suppose it means "id tech 3 & md3 models work this way... OpenArena works this way. No way to change... to find a different behavior, one has to play another game."

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Bane

Cakes 5

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 06:33:18 AM »

Here are some pics of an anatomy of a house cat and that of humans. Hopes this help with all the muscle and stuff.
VortexHU
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 01:12:10 PM »

Thanks for the references! I was just going to use human muscles as a reference (cats are used in dissection due to anatomical similarity to humans, this list seems to suggest the differences are minor, the model is humanoid (so moves appendages like human), and I can't see much that is particular in that image you posted), but are there any major differences that my eyes are missing? I feel like there are and so need a third party...

edit: oh yeah, the traps go all the way down and oblique abs r longer as well... maybe drawing the muscles inappopriately for a human would give the model character. Cheesy

— VortexHU —
VortexHU
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 05:56:27 PM »

worked on the musculature, bone, and occlusion shading a bit, attached. seems i still haven't quite fixed the shoulder color seams.

edit: baked ambient occlusion ftw. attached also.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 06:10:23 PM by VortexHU » Logged

— VortexHU —
VortexHU
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 11:55:01 AM »

fixed the coloring and made the fur smoother across polys as well as sharper.

does the upper arm and abdominal musculature look good? if so, i can continue in that fashion.

front and back views attached.

— VortexHU —
AmDDRed
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 12:34:03 PM »

Nice!
If not those modelled boobs... I remember PE (Sport) lessons, when some girls with very big boobs were running. Quite funny bouncing, but i think not very comfortable.
VortexHU
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 01:04:36 PM »

Nice!
If not those modelled boobs... I remember PE (Sport) lessons, when some girls with very big boobs were running. Quite funny bouncing, but i think not very comfortable.
yes, it's probably uncomfortable, like high heels and tight clothing, but apparently it's not for comfort in the first place. they should fill implants with aerogel pellets (or not use implants at all for that matter).

the model's by fromhell, i'm just texturing it. perhaps discuss the model in the topic 0.9.0 Player skinning SDKs? Smiley

— VortexHU —
VortexHU
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 05:22:14 PM »

as per bloodstain's request, i present the mangy cheetah skin as well.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 08:17:17 PM by VortexHU » Logged

— VortexHU —
VortexHU
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 08:18:44 PM »

ok now a cleaner version of the cheetah w/better spots. i think i should paint the face stripes, color variations better, but WIP. Smiley

— VortexHU —
AmDDRed
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2010, 04:20:42 AM »

Very chaotical.
If you look at the real cheetah
http://materialgirlsblog.com/houston/files/2009/11/cheetah-cubs.jpg
for example, here,
then you can see, that the face and the stomack are less covered with stripes.

Also, all the stripes are quite structured, with almost the same size - not just placed anywhere. The DNA programm that puts a pattern, you know ))
VortexHU
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2010, 05:56:13 AM »

Very chaotical.
both 004 007 (from filename) and 004 008 or just 007? i realized this issue w/007 and was trying to fix it w/008, is it very noticeable there too (i.e., could it still look good)? not to get out of work, but i'm debating in my mind if it'd be ok if i weren't completely realistic (it's got breasts and hands, after all).

If you look at the real cheetah
http://materialgirlsblog.com/houston/files/2009/11/cheetah-cubs.jpg
for example, here,
then you can see, that the face and the stomack are less covered with stripes.

Also, all the stripes are quite structured, with almost the same size - not just placed anywhere. The DNA programm that puts a pattern, you know ))

yep thx i hadnt got to erasing belly spots yet. also i dont have a reaction-diffusion texture synthesizer atm but i'll see what i can do about spot spacing. Wink

— VortexHU —
Bane

Cakes 5

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2010, 09:19:15 AM »

Not sure if you doing other skins but thought I would post some pics to help you or anyone else out that wanted to do some skins for this model. Also incase you are wondering why there are a lot more panther pics it’s because they can be shaded in tones of grey or blue black and I wanted to provide you or others with options should someone do a panther skin.
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2010, 09:33:59 AM »

This could be fair use but beware when using images from other websites Wink

Todo: Walk the cat.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: