Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Spawnflags missing from persistent powerups in oa_bases7  (Read 10358 times)
jackmcbarn
Nub

Cakes 3

« on: November 21, 2010, 09:14:52 PM »

In oa_bases7, the persistent powerups (Guard, Scout, Doubler, Ammo Regen) are missing the spawnflags, allowing players to use the other team's, rather than only their own team's.  Attached is a fix.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 03:38:40 AM »

A file ".patch"?  Huh

How to use it? I see it is a text file... is it supposed to be used for DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Entities-only_editing]Entities-only editing, like the yourmap.ent file in the example DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Entities-only_editing#How-to]there?

I try to point out again some questions about the right way to preserve the the GPLv2 terms (and to keep further edits from other people easy.... I suppose that "entities only editing" causes misaligments between .map files and .bsp files, right?)... please take a look DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Talk:Entities-only_editing]here and here...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 04:24:07 AM »

A file ".patch"?  Huh

It's a common method for sending in changes for text files. It will change the .map file, not the .bsp file, see first few lines:

Code:
Index: source/assets/maps/oa_bases7-radiant.map
===================================================================
--- source/assets/maps/oa_bases7-radiant.map (revision 935)
+++ source/assets/maps/oa_bases7-radiant.map (working copy)

http://udionline.hu/en/projektek/openarena/
Todo list: 1. q3dm17 textures replacement (95% done)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 05:15:50 AM »

Now I understand what it is....

But then I have another question: why don't just recompile the map, and let people try it? After testing, the new .map/.bsp/.aas files would have already been ready to be placed in the svn commits thread...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 07:17:44 AM »

It's mainly a free software development habit, when you're contributor you mostly only care about giving the source code, not the result (which can be way bigger). Also, giving the result could be bad considering it could not correspond with the source code it is meant to.

Todo: Walk the cat.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 07:46:56 AM »

Okay, but how does he suppose that it will be updated in the svn?
Only the author of something can ask to place it on the svn...
If multiple people worked on something, I suppose that it is the latest one that has to ask the svn commit, and no other one can... right? I did not read expressly about this situation, thus I'm asking.

Does this mean that he has to write a post in the "svn commits" thread, giving a complete ".map" file and the updated .bps and .aas files... right? Or am I missing something? Or is it allowed that anyone can take his .patch file (even if there is no "copying" file attached... but maybe simply changing spawnflags does not add much copyright), update the map, recompile it and ask for the svn commit? Well, probably the one that would do this job would be the "latest" to work on that map, and thus probably it could be allowed... but I don't know.

Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 08:19:14 AM »

Okay, but how does he suppose that it will be updated in the svn?
Usually, people who are concerned apply the patch which can come by any mean (forum, mailing list, bugtracker...).
Since OA has its specific forum thread, and as other threads are considered ignored, only safe way is to post on that specific thread.

I suppose best way is posting on a separate thread to discuss the commit before it's validated (unless it's an obvious fix) and then when people believe it's mature enough it can be posted on the SVN commit thread. That rule about "only authors can post" hopefully doesn't exist, and should rather be understood as "only legitimate owners should post". The matter mainly is the insight of legal issues someone has over a piece of work.

Todo: Walk the cat.
jackmcbarn
Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 08:43:30 AM »

Thanks for letting me know about the SVN thread, Cacatoes. I posted it there.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 02:55:18 PM »

Do you remember "mlca1" map? A good Clan Arena map, but (unless I misundertood something) Fromhell did not want the map to be loaded in the svn, until its creator registered of the forum and wrote by himself in the svn commits thread.... not counting that a friend of that author said that the author did the map appositely for OpenArna...
... the author registered, posted in the svn and then disappeared, or something similar...

Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 03:21:04 PM »

Do you remember "mlca1" map?

That situation was a bit different, the mlca1 map was made from scratch and when it was released there was no specific license, so the creator (Meister Lampe) had to explicitly declare that it can be used under the GPL. This patch file is different, jackmcbarn first made a change to the .map file, then he made the patch so we can apply the changes more easily. Since the  oa_bases7.map is GPLv2, all derivative work (both the hand- or editorfixed .map file and the generated patch file) is GPLv2, there's no need to declare that it is intended for OA and/or GPLv2.

So in theory everyone could have posted jackmcbarn's patch to the SVN commits thread, but it's more practical to have a seperate thread like Caca mentioned, and it's also polite to ask the author (if available) if his work can be considered finished and ready to be released. But small and straighforward patches like these don't really need these steps, you will find a lot of posts in the SVN commits thread which "came out of nowhere" and were committed.

http://udionline.hu/en/projektek/openarena/
Todo list: 1. q3dm17 textures replacement (95% done)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: