Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: CreateAPlayer  (Read 6038 times)
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« on: January 06, 2011, 04:22:42 AM »

warning: the following is an idle pondering

Ever tried a late-90s game involving a sport and there's a CREATE-A-SOMETHING feature? Most of them focused primarily on texture for a model but I'm thinking something like

-a blender-based thing, probably on the game engine
-.blend file that's also a standalone binary running it
-md3 exporting built-in there, making .skin files, and pk3 appropriately
-pre-animated skeleton and rig and basemesh
-a basemesh with asymmetric UVmaps that are 'straight' as possible designed for customising
-real-time texture projection/modification with an easy interface (maybe a few color swaps, nudges -and scales)
-parts factory (ability to snap on pre-made parts and props to bones) and face morphing

If this is too ambitious even for a 1998-ish way (texture modification and base model swapping only) then chute me

BTW no this won't replace my laziness, it'd be a way paved for easy personal player construction (i.e. people lacking blender knowledge) like a makeOAhuman or something. It would also be adapted to WOP also or possibly anything else

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 06:48:03 AM »

An easy way to create custom MD3 models, without Blender knowledge? It could be interesting, but I'm not sure it would be worth the big effort required.

We are talking about a first-person shooter (where you quite rarely see your own character from outside)... and other people probably will not be able to see your custom character because the server (and they) will not have the right pk3 with your character.

You could see the character on other players only in singleplayer (or on an "unpure" server), if enabling "forcemodel" in a non-team-based match...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Bane

Cakes 5

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 08:21:10 AM »

This sounds cool and while we are on the subject of creating things. I was wondering if it would also be possible to do this with maps. Like have some premade shapes such as doors , columns stairs and such different sizes or the ability to resize them and some premade textures to go on them.

Another thing I was thinking about was a lobby type thingy similar to the one in a free game called Stick Arena. This would be where you can talk with others and plan matches and not have to go to an Irc channel. I feel this could help newbs find others there level to play and also give them the chance to ask for experience players questions.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: