Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Another Announcer (attempt)  (Read 35665 times)
Tobibrocki
Nub

Cakes 3

« on: January 18, 2011, 10:44:11 AM »

Hi everyone,

I´m new here but I already saw that somebody posted a good announcer here in a different thread (sadly the links are dead though), so, I actually got slightly discouraged to even post this here at all since I don´t think its any good. But you never know.

However, I have no plan on how to get it into the game, and at this point I also only made this short demo sample. Had to digitally lower my voice about 15% because I couldn´t go much deeper without sounding extremely fake, hehe. I really hope it doesn´t make your ears bleed. =/
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6SD1NY3G

I also made a little mp3 of some short test recordings I did yesterday (with different voices). They aren´t particularly good, but I hope you guys get at least a laugh out of it if anything, I quite doubt anybody would want a sample set of those voices:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NND8EVG4

Anyway, sorry for bad grammar or english, its not my native language, so, sorry about that. Undecided

Better Sooner Than Later
Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 03:10:50 PM »

The quaddamage voice is nice, maybe there's too much echo. English not being your native language may present some problems, I'm not an English speaker myself, but in haste you have to pronounce the 'H'.

http://udionline.hu/en/projektek/openarena/
Todo list: 1. q3dm17 textures replacement (95% done)
Tobibrocki
Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 05:02:52 PM »

Yeah, there is really a bit much echo, when playing the game and listening to the other sound effects, the huge echo doesn´t quite fit into the mix. But, I can always get rid of it or simply make it less massive. Smiley

To be honest I have never done any research on the correct pronounciation of "haste", in Quake 3 I always understood "Aced".
But better late then never as they say. Smiley

I played around with my ioquake3 installation, looked into the files and so, and managed to make a pk3 with the sample in it. Although it could be louder, I dunno if its the game or the sample that needs a volume boost. I guess I gotta play around a little more to see what happens.

Better Sooner Than Later
MasterSplinter
Nub

Cakes 0

Bloo Rules

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 05:40:57 PM »

Very cute avatar   Wink
Tobibrocki
Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 06:11:42 PM »

Hehe, thanks! Wink

By the way, I made a little video of the sample in the game, if anybody is interested (or just wants to listen to it without the megaupload hassle):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzxBbOl77sc

Better Sooner Than Later
MasterSplinter
Nub

Cakes 0

Bloo Rules

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 06:21:23 PM »

QUAD DAMAGE!!!

Sounds just like how I remember.
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 06:54:35 PM »

Oh please go on, you got a much better accent than me.
Would you release your sounds under public domain ? In particular the Samplesv1.mp3 file, I could like to use some of them as samples.

Todo: Walk the cat.
Tobibrocki
Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 08:04:33 AM »

I might, but I wanna make more and better samples first. Stuff like "Speed" or "Invisiblility" is missing and so on.

My first goal is to get the Quake 3 esque Announcer done. Then I´ll move over to the other voices, like Schwarzenegger, the Chipmunk esque voice and so on. Wink

I have all the samples (at least I hope so) of the Important Power-Up items in open Arena recorded. It would be helpful though if someone could post the items and lines a announcer voice can say in Open Arena. As I noticed the Items are called differently in OA, "haste" for example is just called "speed".

So, yeah, if anyone has a list with lines (for example "humiliation" or "Get Ready") and correct item names for OA I would really appreciate it. Smiley

Sadly I wasn´t able to find much on google so far. So I basicly had to go trough each map and write down the item names.

Better Sooner Than Later
Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 10:03:37 AM »

We have a DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Main_Page]Wiki with all the info, you can DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Items]find the items through the manual page (linked on the main OA page menu).

Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 12:37:56 PM »

Tobi,

you don´t like it??!?!! (like you said in the vid)
I LOVE IT!

Give us more Smiley

EXCELLENT!
Tobibrocki
Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 03:47:15 PM »

I made more samples, YouTube made the Distortion in the samples very muddy though, anyway, have a listen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHCBartKx9g   (Skip over the info talk to 1:05 min. to get to the samples immediately!)

About the samples, I added a noise effect and a tiny bit of reverb to the samples, they are very loud because the game actually makes the samples less loud. I haven´t tested them in-game yet so, i dunno if I have to totally rework them.
I also plan on making them without noise filters only with a bit of hall. So, don´t worry! Wink

EDIT: Upon testing I noticed the samples now are actually WAY to loud, lol. I´m turning the volume down as soon as I can. A video will follow soon with the sounds in-game, this time without talking though.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 04:29:27 PM by Tobibrocki » Logged

Better Sooner Than Later
Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 04:54:27 PM »

Awesome, thanks for mentioning me Cheesy! There are actually more than 6 announcer voices remaining, you can find all(?) of them in the /sound/feedback/ folder (pak6-misc.pk3). There are some differences from Q3, like "one minute remaining" instead of "one minute left" and "holy crap" instead of "holy sh!t". Also there are some DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/List_of_missing_sounds#feedback.2F]missing announcer voices, mainly from TeamArena, but I don't know if they are actually used in OpenArena.

These are a lot of samples to record, so I would wait for fromhell's feedback (I pm'ed him), because if he thinks they are too similar to Q3, he may decide not to include them in OpenArena. But I'm sure other projects would include them, the iobase3 project for sure, but then you have to release them under a different license (some sort of CC instead of GPLv2).

Tobibrocki
Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 05:29:10 PM »

I think in a good number of cases they might be to similar (I really like the announcer from Quake 3, so, it shouldn´t be much of a surprise that I took that as a role model), but I can always record different versions, like, saying it differently and so on. He just needs to let me know what is to similar and what can stay, and eventually, he could also give me an idea of how a re-record should eventually sound like (for example, saying "Quad damage" a bit more ... funny at the Quad and more Serious at the end of Damage or something like that). Smiley

I´m always open for ideas on how to improve (or in this case change) something. Smiley

But yeah, I´ll wait, but I really don´t think this is going to make it into OA in its current form. Maybe changing the names of items that still carry the same name as their Quake III counterpart could also work wonders, or, saying something different from "Quad Damage". There are quite a few possibilities.

Ah, maybe I think to much about it, hehe.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 05:50:09 PM by Tobibrocki » Logged

Better Sooner Than Later
VortexHU
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 05:48:37 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHCBartKx9g   (Skip over the info talk to 1:05 min. to get to the samples immediately!)

i'm impressed! pls remove the noise tho. b/c it came up earlier: accent isn't rly perceptible, and i was listening for it. Smiley if u release this as gpl v2, pls give the originals (unfiltered recordings of u) b/c:

There are actually more than 6 announcer voices remaining [...]

as in different characters, same sayings? if so, i feel i should at least try a refiltering sometime...

— VortexHU —
Tobibrocki
Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 05:58:27 PM »

I would actually release two versions. The ones with noise filter, and the ones where all I did was lowering my voice digitally about 15%. totally without echo or noise.

I cannot release the original recordings sadly, as they are actually full blocks of several trys and I forgot wich one I actually used, I saved the one I picked out of them with the lowered voice immediately, but not seperate from its unaltered version.
So yeah, a pure version is probably impossible.

But fromhell has to give me feedback first before I do anything further. Because there is a good chance I might have to make totally new recordings with different pronounciation and so on.

Better Sooner Than Later
chaoticsoldier

Cakes 18

This space intentionally left blank.

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 11:28:29 PM »

Fromhell seems quite content with the current announcer:

- The announcer is perfect to me, I can't think of anyone better to permanently replace him, and I don't even want to replace him. You should've heard the 0.7 announcer.

I think your recordings are a nice alternative, although they do seem fairly similar to the Q3A versions, which as Udi suggested, may prevent them being considered for OA. Maybe one day we may have more than one selectable announcers (although based on the above quote, I doubt the chances of this). Who knows?

Have you considered having a go at the Missionpack voices as well?

0101100101101111011101010010011101110110011001010010000001101010011101010111001101110100001000000111011101100001011100110111010001100101011001000010000001111001011011110111010101110010001000000111010001101001011011010110010100101110
Tobibrocki
Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2011, 06:54:41 AM »

There already is a good announcer in the game? How come I haven´t heard him yet, do I have to adjust a config file?

Better Sooner Than Later
dbX

Cakes 11

Shazpaca!

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2011, 11:58:25 AM »

There already is a good announcer in the game? How come I haven´t heard him yet, do I have to adjust a config file?

I think chaoticsoldier meant the default announcer, the one you hear by default in the game. While it is a good announcer, you(Tobibrocki) sound better in my opinion. The accent is not noticeable, at least for the "quad damage" voice. Your English is fairly good, compared to what I hear most of the time from non-native English speaking people (this includes me).

In defeat we learn.
VortexHU
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2011, 12:32:35 PM »

I think chaoticsoldier meant the default announcer, the one you hear by default in the game. While it is a good announcer, you(Tobibrocki) sound better in my opinion. The accent is not noticeable, at least for the "quad damage" voice. Your English is fairly good, compared to what I hear most of the time from non-native English speaking people (this includes me).

default announcer is also incomplete, right? (none of the above announcements, tho not saying it's necessary b/c sound fx r good too) that's why tobibrocki's work would be useful i would think.

— VortexHU —
Tobibrocki
Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2011, 10:52:47 AM »

So I took a moment, and put the samples into a .pk3 and shot some footage of them in-game, nothing extravagant, but it´ll do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QibiIwkIC0U

Better Sooner Than Later
MasterSplinter
Nub

Cakes 0

Bloo Rules

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2011, 06:17:23 PM »

So I took a moment, and put the samples into a .pk3 and shot some footage of them in-game, nothing extravagant, but it´ll do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QibiIwkIC0U

Very nice!  Although the text in the video is very efficient (and to the point), your voice-over would make the clip more entertaining to watch.
Tobibrocki
Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2011, 07:29:16 PM »

Allright, I gotta make a short announcement, I´m now the announcer voice in the Aftershock Modification for OpenArena. So, you´ll hear me screaming at you there pretty soon, maybe not in the next release, but soon! Wink

Better Sooner Than Later
MasterSplinter
Nub

Cakes 0

Bloo Rules

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2011, 11:19:41 PM »

Allright, I gotta make a short announcement, I´m now the announcer voice in the Aftershock Modification for OpenArena. So, you´ll hear me screaming at you there pretty soon, maybe not in the next release, but soon! Wink

Looking forward to hearing from yah Smiley
VortexHU
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2011, 12:17:50 AM »

nj! should be interesting.

Looking forward to hearing from yah Smiley

lolpun

— VortexHU —
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: