Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: For Help  (Read 27443 times)
BRS
Nub

Cakes 0

[cocking gun], heh hehe heh..

« on: December 29, 2010, 01:20:20 PM »

Why not put the latest text to speech voices into characters as a temporary fix till you get the voices from people?
The actor voices could be done as a community project, I'm sure people are willing to help out. Same thing applies for artists.

You can always release new .pak files or make executable update patches.

You could have people send in files, then you could choose what you like and what you don't to add to the game. Who knows you might be surprised what amazing things people come up with.

That would drastically speed up releases.

Just a thought   Roll Eyes

Get games 1/3 of cost  https://www.g2a.com/r/brsg2a
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 02:20:47 PM »

Just so you know, openArena already is a community project, being an opensource project.
So it works on a voluntary basis, and is already open to contributions.
Nothing prevents artists from posting here, some are doing. If they are correctly freely licensed and if they fit, no doubt they will be integrated into OA.

About your text to speech idea, hmm, come on, don't give fromhell the idea to use Vocaloid Cheesy
Yeah, there are some other speech synthesis software, though I'd rather consider it as a fun experiment (to make a big pack with everything, playing with different synthesis settings) rather than it to be a workaround for missing voice actors, that could create an unpleasant unconsistency.

Todo: Walk the cat.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 03:07:08 PM »

I'd have to mess about the TTS systems in Linux or something. Good luck taking those to synthesise a convincing 'ouch'. I don't think they have as much phonetic bugs such as 'soy' to make vocal exhaustions (If you use Windows 2000 or XP, try making it speak "eat your soy sauce" to see what i mean). I think festival has problems with the word "suck". "You suck" would come out sounding like "yew siq"

Vocaloid is stupid and they have restrictive usage rights none of their diehard anime fans ever consider like that silly "don't make vocaloid sing obscenities" etc. so not GPL friendly to begin with

If I need male voices i'd ask Rottking, he's got a new mic and he sounds better than ever. Maybe i'll have him redo the males since he is more experienced at it now. Also, he can even pull off a convincing Nuke Dukem. Take a wild guess at what Beret will sound like in the future...

Female voice artists are at a shortage. I'm lucky that Kyonshi has a distinctive voice nowadays

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
BlankBruno
Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 04:01:09 PM »

Just as an FYI, I don't know how well it would turn out, but I mentioned to my wife about the need for women to do voices for OpenArena and she showed an interest at that time.  If you could point me to information regarding what is needed, I might see if I can ask sweetly again for her assistance.  Smiley
Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 11:41:39 AM »

I paste the WENEED file which you can find in your OA installation dir:

Like a todo list, but more vague

- Optional particle system

- An easy measure to avoid conflicting versions on the server list

- Music (in a Free format that can be edited by Free Software, such as tracker music)

- New voices for several female characters (Arachna, Angelyss, Sorceress, Ayumi)

- Additional voices for missionpack player models

- Gauntlet remodel

- Animation polish

- Ayumi remake

- Major remake

Do you have an external microphone ? a good one ? You can make tries yourself before bothering your wife Wink
It wouldn't be difficult for you to play with pk3s and test locally what these sounds give.

I could make a few voices too, and several friends would too, but we're unfortunately all french with poor english accent Wink

VortexHU
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 12:23:19 PM »

I could make a few voices too, and several friends would too, but we're unfortunately all french with poor english accent Wink

That could be useful. kyonshi says "ni hao ma," and gargoyle has horrible french (even tho gargoyle IS french (well a french word)). plus it seems now a large portion of players (and devs) r euro of various sorts. i'm not suggesting turning the game into a global village, but if we had a french character maybe... otoh this is an opportunity to either not have to use french accent only on an explicitly french char or for u to try ur hand at an american/english accent, perhaps on a character w/distorted voice where phonetic diffs wouldnt be too noticeable?

Take a wild guess at what Beret will sound like in the future...

also french word (sorta)!

Female voice artists are at a shortage. I'm lucky that Kyonshi has a distinctive voice nowadays

kyonshi voice is awesome btw. Grin

— VortexHU —
Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 01:26:08 PM »

Aha, I'm not a big fan of the gargoyle character myself, so I dunno if I'd be inspired Wink
I didn't even make the link between "gargarismes" (water in the mouth/throat) and the "gargouille" (gargoyle) term. Thanks for your explanation Wink
I actually have a friend who would fit quite well, he has an issue with his speech, like replacing "s" by "ch" sounds and he's very much into medieval stuff. I think he has a very poor english accent. I don't see him often however.
If Beret had a baguette for weapon then ... hmm okay I also know someone who wears berets, though it's not like he was a green beret.
Thanks for being inspirative.

chaoticsoldier

Cakes 18

This space intentionally left blank.

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 06:41:53 PM »

I paste the WENEED file which you can find in your OA installation dir:
A list of all the mission pack voices that need to be done is here, if you are interested in those: http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=2037.0

0101100101101111011101010010011101110110011001010010000001101010011101010111001101110100001000000111011101100001011100110111010001100101011001000010000001111001011011110111010101110010001000000111010001101001011011010110010100101110
Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 07:39:34 AM »

Makes me confirm a wiki page with "What material OA is missing" would be a good idea. I think we already mentionned it some time ago. DeveloperFAQ isn't really enough to cover all. That would also be more attractive to eventual contributors. We could then remove a few items from the DeveloperFAQ. I think I can do that if no objection.

Note: wikia's WYSIWYG editing functions are a mess ...

Edit: curse, there is also the roadmap which gives hints, I'm still unsure how to organize this.
Edit2: roadmap should hold plain goals, developerfaq should remain a faq (something more litteral where you answer once for all), and this new section would then much more detailed with the needed materials, could point links on the forum, etc, with no matter to which next OA version these things could apply.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 07:57:01 AM by Cacatoes » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2010, 09:39:29 AM »

Note: wikia's WYSIWYG editing functions are a mess ...

Sure. The first thing I usually do after clicking "Edit" is to click the button on the right that allows to see the "source code", manually applying the MediaWiki codes. The WYSIWYG editor of Wikia makes things harder, and the code too "dirty", in my opinion, so I prefer to do not use it, switching to the more classic interface.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
BRS
Nub

Cakes 0

[cocking gun], heh hehe heh..

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 03:35:11 PM »

It would be hilarious but remember temp fix. Also they have voice changing software that you say it and it morphs it screamingbee (free rights if you purchased it right?) makes a good one. I know it would be simple as i have made my own models for this game before. I'm sure the artist part is the most time consuming. Can you have a compiled source as of whats done now? I guess I get impatient but its well worth the wait. Smiley sort of like caugh diablo 3 caugh excuse me..

Glad to see we got lots of people volunteering, that's awesome. I think a lot of the hold back from others getting involved is because the not knowing the developers freely take ideas and submissions. Besides that it would be great to be part of the game as well as play it.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 03:54:11 PM by BRS » Logged

Get games 1/3 of cost  https://www.g2a.com/r/brsg2a
Sayueri
THIS ONE POST HERE SHOULD DO IT.

Cakes 0

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 02:30:59 AM »

My sister is interested in submitting some voice samples for OA. But, I was wondering, if there's any particular recording software recommended for this? Or does the method not matter as long as her voice is clear? Also, is she free to improvise or does she need to base everything she says on sounds/chatter already in the game?
Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 05:33:48 AM »

Any recording tool is fine, provided the format you save the result is in some rather lossless and raw format (.wav 44khz, .flac...), but I suggest Wav as it is played by the engine and you'll be able to test it straight away if you make a .zip/pk3 from it.
Audacity (free) does this if you search for some.
There could be several topics around dealing with these voice issues, you may try to search them.
Finally, I think improvisation is welcome, while the margin shouldn't be too high (like: changing every single word, since these words may be keywords and signals to players) nor too close (strictly sticking to the words and only varying tone :p).

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 08:25:52 PM »

- Optional particle system
Already there: search in the console for cg_lei*
- An easy measure to avoid conflicting versions on the server list

- Music (in a Free format that can be edited by Free Software, such as tracker music)
Already in the SVN: jutegyte's songs. I've even packed a pak3-music.pk3 for your convenience. Not used in any map as of now.
- New voices for several female characters (Arachna, Angelyss, Sorceress, Ayumi)

- Gauntlet remodel

- Animation polish
FH/Lei is taking care of these, but help doesn't hurt.
- Ayumi remake
Same as above.
- Major remake
Same as above.

But there's also the chance to do localizated voicepacks. (?)

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: