Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Recap improvements needed in the Wiki site - Where?  (Read 260301 times)
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #200 on: December 17, 2013, 02:49:19 PM »

I'm collecting links in order to create OA's own mapping manual. Right now I'm storing them in this page: (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/User:PumpkinKnight/OA_mapping_tutorial_notes_and_misc

The content table for that page also holds a possible index. Is it OK or should I go deeper in the division of topics?

Too bad that the tutorials of wemakemaps.com are archived. Their screenshots aren't loading anymore because of that.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 04:57:44 PM by Suicizer » Logged

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #201 on: December 17, 2013, 03:45:44 PM »

The images are stored in the archive but not loaded. But yeah, such a shame.

EDIT: Found links with the images! Too bad that one or two of them are still missing.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 04:31:54 PM by Neon_Knight » Logged

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #202 on: December 18, 2013, 12:51:36 AM »

What a huge work... At at first look, it does seem good.  Smiley
Maybe some more stuff about Q3Radiant may fit? (Just a question).

About "Mapping Manual" (page name shown in links), I would suggest "Mapping manual" instead.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 01:18:57 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #203 on: December 18, 2013, 08:27:47 AM »

If you are going to write down an introductive page about shaders, maybe you may re-use (re-organizing and correcting where needed, of course! Feel free to use under GPLv2+ and CC-BY-SA licenses! Smiley) this forum post where I summed up what I did know about shaders, to explain them to a new user. I suppse a page explaining what a shader is and basic/important things to know when manipulating them could be useful.

Maybe you may find something useful in that post.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #204 on: December 18, 2013, 11:20:52 AM »

I've figured out that there are many pages in the wiki which could work as the manual pages themselves.

(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Mapping_information_for_special_gametypes could be Mapping manual/Gametype support
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Visibility_and_hint_brushes could be Mapping manual/Hint brushes
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Bot_play could be Mapping manual/Bot play

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #205 on: December 19, 2013, 04:38:24 AM »

If/When you will rename/move those pages, remember to:
- Keep the original pages as "redirects" to the new pages (to preserve compatibility with old incoming links)
or
- Use the "WhatLinksHere" tool to check all incoming links to the old page, and fix all those links in those "source" pages (example: (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Special:WhatLinksHere/Mapping_information_for_special_gametypes)
or
- Both the two above.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #206 on: December 19, 2013, 07:12:17 AM »

I'll first design the pages themselves. After that, I'll decide what to do with that info.

By now DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/User:PumpkinKnight/OA_mapping_tutorial_notes_and_misc]I've just sent the info and links from those pages to the Sandbox subpages. That way I'll be able to focus on one section at a time.

This is my first time doing a manual, so expect all kind of errors.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 07:14:26 AM by Neon_Knight » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #207 on: December 19, 2013, 03:28:10 PM »

I've started the Pre-mapping stage page:
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/User:PumpkinKnight/Sandbox/Pre-mapping_stage

How well I'm doing?

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #208 on: December 20, 2013, 02:28:17 AM »

It looks like a good start, IMHO! Congrats!  Smiley

A few suggestions:

- Maybe you may use some Italic or Bold to stress some words about some important things at least the first time you mention them (e.g.: core gameplay, map gameplay, shaders).

- When talking about r_speeds, maybe you may mention the fact that if one adds entities (weapons, powerups, etc.) in a second time, the number of polygons shown will further grow up then.

- It's not clear what it is meant with "building with visibility blocking". Of course, later pages of the manual should explain this better... but at this step, a beginner may not yet know what these words mean: maybe you may shortly explain (even using a foot note if you prefer).

- I suppose you may place foot notes in their usual "Notes" section... while leaving the rest of "bibliography" in the current "Further references" sections (you can rename it if needed).
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 02:45:25 AM by Gig » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #209 on: December 20, 2013, 02:31:20 AM »

I still have to add the rest of the info of the sources. It seems that some stuff will require a second page.

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #210 on: December 20, 2013, 10:52:51 AM »

Looks quite good to me.

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #211 on: December 23, 2013, 05:15:55 AM »

At first I wanted to finish what I've started, but considering the urgences, I've figured out that this page was extremely needed. So I've started it.

(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/User:PumpkinKnight/Sandbox/Optimization_and_troubleshooting

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #212 on: December 23, 2013, 05:23:45 AM »

Maybe one may better explain what is meant with "brush which isn't really part of the level".  Wink

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #213 on: December 23, 2013, 07:04:19 AM »

Here's the first "finished" page: the Glossary of terms. It's an adaptation of SPoG's q3map2 explanation, but contains a lot of used mapping terms. And, OFC, it's expansible.

(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/User:PumpkinKnight/Sandbox/Appendix:_Glossary_of_terms

Maybe one may better explain what is meant with "brush which isn't really part of the level".  Wink
Oh, my bad. I meant "entity which is placed outsde of the level". They can cause leaks too.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #214 on: December 23, 2013, 10:52:21 AM »

Wasn't it about marking brushes "detail"? I thought that phrase was about things like decorations...
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 10:55:11 AM by Gig » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #215 on: December 23, 2013, 01:26:13 PM »

Oh, no, that comes later.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #216 on: December 25, 2013, 09:14:47 AM »

Finished the Glossary and started with the Hint brushes tutorial. I've used SPoG's q3map2 explanation of the VIS stage as a starting point. Sadly, the introduction was larger than I wished. Is there something I can do in order to reduce the amount of text?

(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/User:PumpkinKnight/Sandbox/Hint_brushes

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #217 on: December 27, 2013, 03:59:51 AM »

You know, synthesis is not my best. In general, I prefer to explain istead of cutting off. However, next week I will give a deeper read to that page. Bye for now.

Gig from cell phone.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #218 on: December 28, 2013, 08:08:25 AM »

By clearing and sorting up stuff in the DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/DeveloperFAQ]DeveloperFAQ[/url][/b] and DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/GoodPractices]Good Practices[/url][/b] pages, which are important for the development of the game, I've figured out that the content of both pages can be fused into one, to keep not only the recommended stuff but also the frequently asked questions in one place.

What do you think about this?

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #219 on: December 29, 2013, 12:52:08 PM »

I have to give a better read to them before I can say something. But in general, I can guess that the current GP page (complimentary with NOTTODO) may be useful to be kept.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #220 on: January 01, 2014, 08:33:02 AM »

As my first doing in 2014 for OA, I've started the Bot play page. It's going to be an overhaul of the current Bot play page.

(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/User:PumpkinKnight/Sandbox/Bot_play

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #221 on: January 02, 2014, 09:55:50 AM »

I did a few integrations/adds to it. Take a look if they are ok.  Smiley

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #222 on: January 02, 2014, 10:14:24 AM »

Took a look. They're pretty OK.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #223 on: January 07, 2014, 03:33:39 AM »

A question about clusterportals: the guide says that they have to do not be crossed by trigger_push (accelerator pads/bouce pads) trajectories.
I'm not sure, but I can guess this only means that cluster portals have to do not be in the middle between the trigger_push and its target_position (or info_notnull), which is placed at the top of the jump.... but then the jump arc may continue longer while descending (passing cluster portals without breaking them). Do I guess right? If this is right, it should be said in the page.

And any info about target_push and clusterportals? Target_push is an alternate way to create jump pads, but is not client side predicted and I don't know how much actually used.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 03:38:03 AM by Gig » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #224 on: January 10, 2014, 01:24:14 AM »

NK, some things I want to ask you about the DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Map_compatibility]Map compatibilty page.
1) Now you set a green background for maps which have no compatibilty issues. It's very useful, but maybe adding a column where to show an image may have been a bit simpler for newcomers which would like to edit the page? I don't know. It's just a question.
2) Maybe we should add a note to explain in which cases we can consider a map with no compatibility issues (e.g. missing .arena file should be mentioned in "other notes" column, but does not affect map compatibility), hence ok for be marked "green".
3) There are various cases of notes such as "Uses some textures already included in OpenArena. May cause conflict.", hence:
3.1) Maybe we should add some notes to explain how to do this test?
3.2) Maybe it would be better to start with "Contains ..." word, instead of "Uses ..."? "Uses some textures already in OpenArena" may seem a normal thing. "Contains", instead, may suggest more the possible conflict...
3.3) If the conflict is caused by those textures (or files in general, such as the bfg hum sound in via_arena and q3_via_arena maps), the two sentences may be merged into one "... included in OpenArena: may cause conflict." To be clear it's referring to the same thing, and not two different things.
3.4) Maybe that "may cause conflict" is too general? Maybe something like "..., hence may override those from OA" or "..., hence those from this map may be shown also in other maps, in the place of those from stock OA".
3.5) If this situation is so common, maybe we may even add a specific column for them... hence, just explaining the thing in a "legend" at the top of the page, and then simply specifying a character for each map (e.g. "T" for textures, "S" for sounds, "B" for both...).
4) What about a try enabling the borders between fields of the table?

PS: Did you read my previous post, just above this one?
PPS: Did you read DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/User_talk:PumpkinKnight/Sandbox/Hint_brushes]this question about hint brushes page?
PPPS: It would be nice to also review OSP maps (such as OSPCA1, pupular Clan Arena -Elimination- map back to those days).
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 02:41:47 AM by Gig » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11
  Print  

Jump to: