Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Recap improvements needed in the Wiki site - Where?  (Read 260261 times)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2011, 04:53:23 PM »

Leave them as ModCompat. As long as that isn't a real problem...
But it's quite strange to have a sub-page with the first part that does not match the parent page...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2011, 05:15:31 PM »

Hi guys!
I think that writing something to the "DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Techniques]Manual/Techniques" page would have been good. So DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/index.php?title=Manual%2FTechniques&action=historysubmit&diff=9067&oldid=9059]I wrote about techniques, translating from italian Wikipedia, and taking something from a post on the forum. But please take a look to that page and fix anything it is good to fix (e.g. I'm not so good with plasma climbs, maybe the tip could be better... I don't know about circle jumping, and I don't know about CPM tecniques).
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 05:33:57 PM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2011, 03:21:08 AM »

Seems fine, you can precise Plasma Climb makes low damages (compared to other techniques) while they are less effective than Rocket Jumps, they are sometimes "enough" to reach places. (Useful in particular scenarios, such as in some oa_base map, and eventually on oasago2)

Most of these techniques are better explained with videos (it's probably hard to get what strafejumping is about by reading) so you might leave a mention about that fact somewhere early enough in the article.

Todo: Walk the cat.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2011, 04:34:13 AM »

Okay, I did DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/index.php?title=Manual%2FTechniques&action=historysubmit&diff=9092&oldid=9081]this... and also DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/index.php?title=Manual%2FRocketjump&action=historysubmit&diff=9088&oldid=9057]this. Feel free to edit and complete...

PS: does that "Genesis - The Beginning Of" video use Vanilla or CPM physics?

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2011, 08:50:36 AM »

Bump!

Figured out the map-individual pages should get some love. After all, they play a big role in OA.

I've started with Aggressor, using as base the template at the Liandri Archives. Any thoughts?

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
christooss
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2011, 12:42:02 PM »

Yeah maps do need individual pages. I would suggest adding some text at the start of the map. Maybe map setting/story if it exists. And screenshot at the top. I will look in to your edits and try to add similar for other maps.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2011, 12:50:35 PM »

A simple description of the map in Map Description should do the trick.

Something like this is what I'm aiming for, wiki-wise talking.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2011, 01:19:33 PM »

"Our main datacenter is down, you are accessing our backup datacenter. We are working to fix the problem."

We can't edit by now, it seems...

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2011, 05:20:47 PM »

Wikia goes in read-only cause of manutention relatively often, but usually there is no need to worry, simply returning later...

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2012, 02:58:00 PM »

(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Maps

I've created pages for each map, except those of future versions. Notice how bare are the ones in Dummied maps. They belong to a category called "Cut content", because in 0.8.8 they can only be accessed through the console, and not through the Skirmish and Create server menus.

But that's not the point. The point is that the maps listed in 0.8.8 maps need further elaboration. So I was wondering if someone can complete those lists. Tongue

I suggest to take a look at both the DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Template:Weapons]Weapons[/url] and DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Template:Weapons]Items[/b] before editing those pages, because in these pages, the "Where it's located?" section is missing. I haven't put in there when I made the templates, but there are instructions in those pages.

Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2012, 03:22:57 PM »

This was a hard one to do, NK!
+1
All guys are happy with this solution?
GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2012, 04:37:15 PM »

Sorry guys to hijack a little the thread, but I have some questions about the usages of the Wiki.

I'd like to add some articles but I wonder if the Wiki could be used for this purpose.

For example:

- Servers administration: this would mainly be a collection of small articles explaining various sides of servers administration like the gamepath or homepath, and some advices like creating a limited user account on a Unix machine.

- Defrag tutorial: I can see that there is already an objective article about tricks, so this can be used to talk about the objective side of it. But what about making a tutorial? Is there a place for original works? Because I think that centralizing the original works such as tutorials should be very beneficial to OpenArena (as opposed to Q3 where you can spend days and days and even months to find a single piece of information).

As a side question, is it possible to include a video in an article (such as a youtube video, because I guess that wikia doesn't allow to store big files on their servers).

What do you think guys?

And BTW, you did a really great job guys, I always said that making a wiki for OA was one of the greatest goal to attain for this project, and you've gone to great lengths to achieve it! It's now a reference not only for OA, but for any ioquake3 based game.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2012, 05:31:14 PM »

I saw several wikis with videos inside of Wikia (the Starcraft wiki comes to mind) so yeah, it should be possible to place videos inside of articles.

About server administration, I guess under DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Servers]Servers there's something.

And about Defrag, I don't know, Gig should reply that, since he's the one in charge of the wiki. Tongue

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2012, 07:24:01 PM »

Hi guys! I'm sorry for not being too much on the wiki lately. Working on my new house and preparing the wedding are really spending most of my time. I'm writing from phone just before going to bed.

About maps, I noticed you were working a lot on those articles. Good job. Smiley I wanted to ask you if you could add infos in image description pages (e.g. file:image.jpg), like I wrote in images I uploaded. Briefly saying what's depicted and license info (e.g. "Screenshot of map wrackdm17 from OpenArena 0.8.8. OpenArena is by OpenArena Team and licensed under GPLv2. Screenshot taken by PumpkinKnight and released under GPLv2").
And I thought we talked somewhere about placing pages about maps in sub-pages, like "maps/wrackdm17"... how did we end that time? (note: please remember that in sub-pages, also the first letter of the sub page name is case sensitive, like all others except the first letter of the main page name)

I haven't tried yet to upload videos to Wikia. File types currently allowed are png, gif, jpg, jpeg, ico, pdf, svg, odt, ods, odp, odg, odc, odf, odi, odm, ogg, ogv, oga. Probably, like in Wikipedia, one has to convert the video to OGG format. Or maybe you could simply add external links to videos on youtube (I don't know if it is possible to use youtube embedding, but maybe not).

About server administration, we already have something (servers, multiplayer, homepath, configuration examples...) and DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Category:Servers]Category:Servers. Let's see what's already there and think what we could add to those pages and what to new pages.

About Defrag tutorial, for first I'd like someone may be able to complete the page about techniques with the missing things (circle jumps, something more?) using the same style (brief description of the technique and its use). Then, someone really expert (not me, I tried it only a couple of times) could write the Defrag tutorial, as one (or more) sub-page of Manual/Techniques or of ModCompat/Defrag. I suppose it would require some time, so you have to be motivated to begin writing the entire tutorial.

Always available to help in any way I can, even if now I'll be less present than in the past.

GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2012, 08:20:22 AM »

@Gig: is it your own wedding you're talking about? Then congratulations! This is a very important time of one's life, you should not be sorry to put the rest aside, you've done quite enough I think Wink

For servers administation, yes of course I will check the already very good database on the subject, but there are some missing articles I may then add.

About Defrag, if I understand well, it means that you're ok with original creations like a Defrag tutorial. I agree with the idea of making an objective quick summary of all the techniques, then a more throughout tutorial separately. I have already a draft of an innovative tutorial to learn Defrag very easily, with a good learning induction of the mechanism of Defrag's engine. I intend to publish it someday, and I really wanted to publish it on the wiki directly instead of publishing it on a third-party source, I really think that everything should be centralized now that we have a great and accurate wiki.

About the videos, then that's perfect! There's no problem in converting the videos, and if they can directly be stored on the wiki, then this is great as this should avoid possibly future unavailability of the host. On the matter, is there a storage limit or none?
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2012, 08:37:45 AM »

Maybe we could make a sort of "administrator's manual", somehow similar to user manual, with the links to other pages (and to sections in the others pages, if needed) and maybe also placing something directly in there. Maybe, before doing that page, we should do some other specific pages (I'd like one about configuration files -Q3config.cfg, server.cfg, autoexec.cfg, etc.- but there are some things I don't know so it's better someone else makes it... and one about debugging commands (devmap & relative "cheats", developer 1, etc.), but I haven't found the time yet.
PS: yes, the wedding is my own. I'm sorry I will be much less active after it... my life will change a lot!!!

I don't know about wikia file size limits, sorry.

For me, it's not problem to publish your tutorial on the Wiki (maybe you may ask Fromhell to be sure). Remember that text in the wiki is released under cc-by-sa license.

To Neon Knight: I noticed you uploaded some images with "small" in the name. I think that should not be necessary, usually mediawiki allows to resize images "on the fly" when using them, using something like [[File:image.ext|120px]]. I can't do tests now. Bye!

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2012, 09:11:07 AM »

To Neon Knight: I noticed you uploaded some images with "small" in the name. I think that should not be necessary, usually mediawiki allows to resize images "on the fly" when using them, using something like [[File:image.ext|120px]]. I can't do tests now. Bye!
I do use the "-small" postfix to differentiate those files from others of the same name which are already used for the screenshots.

BTW, you might note that I've deleted the old screenshots from those pages; I'm taking new screenshots this weekend, now that 0.8.8 RC2 has been released. Those old screenshots might not represent how those maps are now.

GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2012, 09:24:45 AM »

@Gig: No problem for the license, I like creative commons.

About the Servers Manual, yes that's a good idea, but I thought there already was an index. This is without any doubt a main step to take for the servers administration part of the wiki.

I can do the articles you are talking about, but I'm not sure they should be the first to be made, I will see if I can put it on my schedule, but I've got a lot to do I must confess. I will probably first contribute by creating articles that you may not find anywhere else, then these more common parts can be made by me or by other experienced admins.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2012, 11:09:55 AM »

Help request!

Can someone help me to move the maps to their new locations? Wikia doesn't let me move many pages in a short period of time.

Said new locations should be under Maps/, for example:

Blitzkrieg3 → Maps/blitzkrieg3

The first letter of the page after Maps/ needs to be lowercase because I did a new template and it needs to be this way to work.

Is there anyone here who can help me for this? We need a bit of organizaton for this work.

BTW, I'm doing the A letter.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2012, 03:04:56 PM »

Neon, let me the time to take a look...

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2012, 03:14:41 PM »

It's everything done, don't worry.

Something which needs to be done is the descriptions of the maps, and tips for every map. There's also a page and category for cut content, which, hopefully, will also have a lot of interesting bits about the dev history of OA. And yeah, there's actually people who are interested in such things. Tongue

Thanks to the one who helped me, I don't know who's him/her in the forum, but in the wiki is R9k or something like that.

Just finished with the maps, we even have a new template, heh.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2012, 03:37:07 PM »

Okay. Anyway, I've taken a look, but I haven't fond a command to move many pages at once, not even in administration panel. I think on Wikipedia they use "bots" for such kind of tasks (when there is something to do on hundreds of pages), but I have no idea of how to create one, and I don't even know if it is possible to use them on Wikia.

GrosBedo, if you have ideas about needed articles and improvements, you can also write them down in the DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/WikiWorks]WikiWorks page, as a reminder.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2012, 04:22:05 PM »

I do use the "-small" postfix to differentiate those files from others of the same name which are already used for the screenshots.

BTW, you might note that I've deleted the old screenshots from those pages; I'm taking new screenshots this weekend, now that 0.8.8 RC2 has been released. Those old screenshots might not represent how those maps are now.

Wait... maybe I don't understand something. Please forgive me if I'm slow in realizing.
I see this image:
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/File:Mlca1-small.jpg
It is a 128x128 image. Very small. Maybe you used existing levelshots, to place something in the pages for the moment, without the need to take new, good screenshots now, to make faster?  Huh
And it seems a File:Mlca1.jpg (without the -small prefix) does not exist. What's the name conflict problem here?
Anyway, to replace existing images with newer versions it is possible to use the function to upload a new version of an existing file (link at the bottom of a file description page), overwriting the old file without the need of deleting or renaming it.
If you have to post more images about a certain map, of course you can call them like mlca_01.jpg, mlca1_02, mlca1_03, etc.

I suggest to use at least 640x480 screenshots (if you want, even more, unless we are talking about "fair use" images), then use MediaWiki options for resizing as needed (but allowing users to see the image bigger by clicking on it).

PS: in the description page, I suppose you may at least place the {{GPL}} template in the "Licensing" section.

GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2012, 07:42:39 AM »

GrosBedo, if you have ideas about needed articles and improvements, you can also write them down in the DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/WikiWorks]WikiWorks page, as a reminder.

I will but for the articles I will post it's no need since this can't be delegated, I need to first publish a draft.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2012, 07:48:11 AM »

I think no screen shot should be under 1024x768. It is very frustrating not to be able to click the images larger.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to: