Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Noob teamswitching  (Read 26089 times)
Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2011, 07:05:57 AM »

You pick the lesser evil Wink...

Which means, that we have to put our hands on some maps to make them compatible with .85...
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2011, 07:15:16 AM »

There's also the option of improving the 125hz and 91hz choices, but that's left to Sago.

BTW, in the CPMA competitive guide (which a lot of people like to refer as the "level design 101" guide) it's stated that designing maps with framerate-dependant jumps in mind are a bad idea.

EDIT: Fixed a wording mistake.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 08:04:26 AM by |TXC| Neon_Knight » Logged

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.

Cakes 7

Is 7 up?

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2011, 08:28:32 AM »

There's also the option of improving the 125hz and 91hz choices, but that's left to Sago.

There is also the option of building a 'gravitational constant' cvar into the engine that should be multiplied to g_gravity when in pmove_float 1 mode. Just set this server cvar to the right factor and the problem would be fixed for all maps with standard 800 gravity without having to do dirty hacks with g_gravity in the map rotation.

I personally think this would be the most elegant solution to emulate 125 fps physics in pmove_float physics mode (it also wouldn't interfere with the fixed frame rate and frame rate dependent physics modes at all).

BTW, in the CPMA competitive guide (which a lot of people like to refer as the "level design 101" guide) it's stated that designing maps with framerate-dependant jumps in mind are a bad idea.

Hehe go and tell that to the defrag guys, but you better put on some protective gear first, just in case... Wink

I'm on the ten most wanted list, I've got it dead in the groove.
My face is on every wanted poster in town, for the way I move.
Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2011, 08:58:39 AM »

sago, could you implement such kind of solution?
i have this old maps in mind, which canĀ“t be edited by us...
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2011, 09:07:59 AM »

I guess Sago implemented something like that in OAX.

BTW, this is the part found in the guide which I was talking about, thankfully saved here, since the Promode Wiki dissappeared.

Framerate based jumps - DO NOT include framerate based jumps in your map. Most often, these come in the form of the 64-unit jump like the one in q3dm13 to the MH. Pmove_fixed has partly fixed this problem, but its still not a good idea.

And I know the level of douchiness the "competitive" people (a.k.a. the "Stop Having Fun Guys", people who give a bad name to the competitive people who are really nice, I tend to call them the "Adon"s -if they're good and arrogant- or "Dan Hibiki"es, -if they're both bad and arrogant- as opposed to the "Ryu"s) can reach. Smiley

(BTW, click the SHFG link at your own risk, you might have your life ruined forever when you start navigating that wiki. Personal experience. -.-)

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT

Cakes 7

Is 7 up?

« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2011, 03:04:54 PM »

I've been playing around with oaxB47 for a bit. If udi's g_gravity value of 756 is right then the correct g_gravityModifier factor should be 756/800 = 0.945 which does feel like 125 fps physics to me when I play pmode_float 1 (maybe the jumps are slightly too high, got to test more).

So I guess the correct solution would be for the server admins to start a grassroots action to get b47 elevated to the status of an official patch and get cracking with pmove_float 1 and g_gravityModifier 0.945. If there isn't a real release coming soon that is... Wink

(BTW, click the SHFG link at your own risk, you might have your life ruined forever when you start navigating that wiki. Personal experience. -.-)

Oh noo, another time sink (in other words a great site, thanks) Smiley

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2011, 03:13:46 PM »

We can speed up that release if we could get more texture artists to help with the texture replacements for the Q3/TA maps. :S That's the main objective for 0.9.0.

Cakes 7

Is 7 up?

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2011, 03:54:02 PM »

Would a code-only 0.8.6 patch release be out of the question, considering it would probably silence a lot of the criticism about the physics change and keep the player community alive?

It's a shame we can't use Paul Marshall's xcsv_bq3hi-res.pk3 by the way...

Bane

Cakes 5

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2011, 04:09:05 PM »

I guess Sago implemented something like that in OAX.

BTW, this is the part found in the guide which I was talking about, thankfully saved here, since the Promode Wiki dissappeared.

Framerate based jumps - DO NOT include framerate based jumps in your map. Most often, these come in the form of the 64-unit jump like the one in q3dm13 to the MH. Pmove_fixed has partly fixed this problem, but its still not a good idea.

And I know the level of douchiness the "competitive" people (a.k.a. the "Stop Having Fun Guys", people who give a bad name to the competitive people who are really nice, I tend to call them the "Adon"s -if they're good and arrogant- or "Dan Hibiki"es, -if they're both bad and arrogant- as opposed to the "Ryu"s) can reach. Smiley

This article reminds me of the character Jermany from Pure Pwange in everyway.

Also these type of people rage hard and it is funny as see in the youtube videos below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rAtlp2dDPU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D70Hxro_agU&feature=relmfu
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: