Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Save ScrewOA!  (Read 7022 times)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« on: February 03, 2011, 04:49:09 PM »

ScrewOA was a good OpenArena server running DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/ModCompat/CorkScrew]the CorkScrew mod (very nice insta-gib variant), plus some additional features like statistics and very bright skins.
It has been shutted down in these days by the hoster, for the disappointment of its admin (and of the players that liked it). ^TheDoctor^ wrote a post in the thread about the server, asking if there is someone that has got the technical (or financial) resources needed to keep it alive.

Maybe you may have not noticed that post, so I decided to create this thread in the "General" section of the forum, hoping it could be more read.
Can someone offer a new hosting for the ScrewOA server?

His post is here, and I copy it here below for your comfort:
Dear ScrewOA players and community members.

Summary: I have to find a new host for the server ScrewOA. If you want to see this server in operation and have the necessary resources (money and/or a host), please consider to provide a new home for it.

Explanation: On January 31st, I was informed by @spi, the owner of Baller Bude, that, because of understandable organizational reasons, the host of Baller Bude will no longer be able to co-host ScrewOA (Corkscrew mod on OpenArena, 212.65.13.87:27962). As this server is close to my heart, I don't want it to perish. However, currently, I absolutely cannot afford to host it on my own expense.

Therefore I ask for you help: If you want to keep this server in operation and have the necessary resources (either a host with available capacities or the money to rent one), please consider to provide a new home for it. I would then offer to install, operate and improve the aforementioned service free of charge.

Necessary requirements:
- a dedicated host (current host was an Intel Pentium 4 CPU 1.80GHz, 1 GB RAM)
- a decent internet connection (24h/day online, static IP, at least 1MBit up-link)
- a Linux-based operating system (current OS is Gentoo)
- shell access
- full administrative freedom w.r.t. the aforementioned server

Please contact me via PM or write an email to oa.doctor (at) gmail.com for further information. My offer to host these services on a foreign host is valid until March 1st 2011. After that, I'll mothball it.

PS: The server went down on February 2nd Cry

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
^TheDoctor^
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 11:21:47 AM »

Thank for your post, Gig.

Good news! Thanks to Dmitriy Vin, ScrewOA is back: vindimy.dyndns.info:27960

However, it had to move to Los Angeles in order to survive. For Europeans, the ping is high but stable (which is necessary for the ping correction to work correctly).
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 06:40:42 PM »

Hopefully US people like it and it will help to keep the community alive. Thanks Vindimy. Unlagged will do the rest.

Todo: Walk the cat.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 01:38:02 AM »

This is a good new.  Smiley
In the next days I will try it, hoping my ping would be reasonable (Unlagged is good, but if you see an enemy coming out from a corner half second after he sees you, in instantgib you're dead...)

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 09:10:19 AM »

... take your revenge by hitting him 1/2 sec after he passed a corner then.

Todo: Walk the cat.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 01:25:42 PM »

Given a rapid test. Ping about 207. Seems possible to play anyway.  Smiley But I tested only with the bots (that, luckily, are far behind than the deadly standard high-skill bots) and only another player, that had a ping similar to mine.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: