Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mapper In Need.  (Read 7053 times)
Epifire
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: February 04, 2011, 08:59:52 PM »

Hey all. I am new to this community and had some questions that may or may not be answerable, but I thought I'd give it a try.

First off I will give a little back round concerning anyone who might be wondering if I really do know much about mapping. Well I started in the Zero Engine (modding in starwars battlefront), and after much failure due to unsupported programs I went to modding the Source Engine. I know much about the Hammer Editor, and have been and still frequently build maps in it. So after that I started playing some older games (Jedi Knight Outcast 2 in particular) and after some thought I wanted to look into its mapping tools as well.

So here I am now wanting to map in GtkRadiant 1.4.0. Naturally I have seen how many old, and newer games tie in with this Game Engine one way or another so I found it some thing I wanted to learn as well.

I am now looking for some place that frequently can help, or aid in problems or questions regarding it. So here I am, and from what it seems, I thought a few people might be able to share some light on this as well. Correct me if I am wrong but this is what you guys know a lot about if I am not mistaken?   Huh

In any case I hope you all understand my thoughts on this as some good ole programs die hard for some.
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 07:38:35 AM »

Yo, welcome on the board.
Are you an OpenArena player in plus of being a mapper ?
I thought Netradient was more comfortable to deal with than GTKRadient, so you may have an eye on it, but I'm no mapper so ...
Mappers are ponctually helped, mainly since they publish their maps here, so they get remarks and are eventually technically helped from time to time.
Feel free to have an eye on the Contrib > Maps forum, you'll get an idea.

Todo: Walk the cat.
Epifire
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 10:28:21 AM »

Well you see I come over many communities, and my main reason for coming here was for support on the Radiant Engine because it has little, or no support any where else.

Most sites that could have helped me a few years ago were either hacked or shutdown. Trust me I have looked for a long time and this actually was the only active forums that looked as if they helped or could advise on the Radiant Engine.

So technically I am a mapper, who doesn't play OA but I use mostly the same software, so we do have that in common.  Actually I never even knew OA was a game rather then a forum name until I read through some of the forums regarding it. In any case I am glad that some body uses the same tools I am trying to learn, because this is the only place I know that still supports it (at least that I  have found).

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 11:10:33 AM »

This page might help you:

(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Mapping_resources_%26_tutorials

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
VortexHU
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 11:52:42 AM »

Most sites that could have helped me a few years ago were either hacked or shutdown. Trust me I have looked for a long time and this actually was the only active forums that looked as if they helped or could advise on the Radiant Engine.

Please go ahead and ask your questions. (I would also prefer the Maps forum because I usually don't check this one.) I'll try to help if I can, but it's good to have the questions posted even if nobody can answer them immediately. Good to have you!

— VortexHU —
Rct. Tsoul
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 06:38:41 PM »

If you are going to be doing this for a living then your buy 3ds MAX, this program has plugins for exporting your maps, plus you can make them much more quickly, when you get finished with your map, you can then export the textures to the format of the game engine you are using, then export the 3D cad to a .map file, add your entities worldspawn and other game or engine specific bells and wistles then compile it to a .bsp
The reason you want to use a program like that it that it is so much easyer, plus, in the distant future you will be able to export all your hard time consuming brushwork that you did 6 years can now be used in a level for Call of Duty alien and then you will be able get a finished product very quickly, thus make money.
Epifire
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 10:23:25 AM »

Alright I guess I will take my next questions to the map forums, but I am glad to get help on this. My main problems are textures not appearing in the editor, exporting and running a custom map, and of course maybe some document explaining the setup "how things work".

Other then that, most the terminology has a lot in common with the source engine so I have been having it pretty easy aside from some major things. I got some questions that I'll be asking in mapping so I best move on to there now.  Cheesy 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: