Poll
Question: VM in PK3?
yes - 6 (100%)
no - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 6

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VM in PK3  (Read 6227 times)
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« on: March 23, 2012, 06:19:06 AM »

For future versions should I still pack the VM in the pk3 or just keep it external?

Debian would probably most likely pick "no" here. but the way Q3 did things they usually had them in pk3s for protection and enforcing everyone played with the same game code

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 07:06:46 AM »

Excuse me, could you please write "Pros" and "Cons" of that?

Keeping them in PK3s seems "natural" for me, because PK3s are the only files that clients can autodownload... I don't even know if a VM outside pk3s can be actually loaded when using a "pure" server...
What would be the advantage of doing it differently? And how would that affect compatibility?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 01:33:41 PM »

The ability to pack a game or mod as data and have all the benefits of compatibility checks performed by the engine seems like something I would hate to loose.

One could offer a way to overrule the vm file in the pk3-file but the pk3 file should always contain the safe pk3 (the one with guarantied compatibility).

Debian already have an alternative way to find a compatible so-file to load.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: