Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Custom model is not loaded  (Read 9659 times)
christooss
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« on: February 20, 2011, 09:22:35 AM »

Hi

I have put together a server and loaded few maps on it. Now I'm trying to add custom models users can choose from but I seem to fail.

I tried with bot-vadr and bot-lego from this page http://ioquake3.org/extras/models/

When I run it SP or start MP from OA I can use models. But if I connect to the server files don't even get downloaded (if I delete pk3 on client side).
I tried adding file zz-ss-models20060603.pk3 with keel and tankjr models brightskin and these models and I can choose them from setup > player option and with /model .... from console but file won't get downloaded (I have to put it in to client side baseoa folder too)

I have allowdownload on 1 (maps get downloaded without problem) and sv_pure on 1

Any ideas how can I fix this?
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 05:03:14 PM »

Clients must have allow downloading enabled. This is not default enabled for security (and Free-ness) reasons.

OA doesn't have 'keel' or 'tankjr'

and it never will

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 07:00:03 PM »

Mostly because these files aren't considered required at the time you join the server (except if you have like bots using these models), and so they are not downloaded.
You can trick it and force the downloading by putting these files in a separate directory (not baseoa but another) then start your server using this directory (which you can load like you would load any "mod"). Every file in that directory should then be downloaded.

Todo: Walk the cat.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 01:44:59 AM »

Clients must have allow downloading enabled. This is not default enabled for security (and Free-ness) reasons.
OA doesn't have 'keel' or 'tankjr'
and it never will
Reading his post, he seems to have already autodownload active (he downloads maps).
About "keel" and "tankjr", I think it would be good to create characters with all the names of the Q3 characters (even if with nothing in common with the original characters, except the name... or to create such names as "redirects" to existing characters): this to improve compatibility with some mods that require (or give pre-defined settings involving) such bot/model names.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
christooss
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 01:52:40 AM »

@fromhell Keel and TankJr are from another pack. I don't mind not having them in OA

Cacatoes I will try this cause I think I had similar problem and solution few years ago.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 01:55:39 AM »

this to improve compatibility with some mods that require (or give pre-defined settings involving) such bot/model names.

Or how about something like

models/players/tankjr/sym.cfg

sym.cfg being........

Code:
skelebot

This way, there can be pure protection, and models/player/tankjr/  gets parsed as model/player/skelebot virtually

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 02:14:39 AM »

Is this something like the current "Sarge" --> "Grism" redirection? It is what I had in mind... Note: I never checked if there is an actual redirection, or simply there is the same model loaded into two different folders!

Would your solution work for both models and bots?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 02:24:06 AM »

You can trick it and force the downloading by putting these files in a separate directory (not baseoa but another) then start your server using this directory (which you can load like you would load any "mod"). Every file in that directory should then be downloaded.

Interesting... I didn't know that. Do you mean that, if a pk3 file is in a mod's folder, it will be autodownloaded anyway, even if none of its contained files (textures, maps...) is actually being used in that moment?
But then, if a server admin places extra maps in a mod's folder (I know he should place them under baseoa, but let's take this example... or think about a mod with maps useless outside that mod itself -like defrag-), they will be ALL downloaded before the player can play?  Huh

Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 09:07:25 AM »

I think yes, even readme/text files are downloaded.
I think I already experienced the autodownload of loads of CPMA/Defrag maps because of this.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 10:47:44 AM »

I think yes, even readme/text files are downloaded.
Maybe this one is too much.... I've checked my autodownloaded folders and I can't find any readme file there.
... if text files would be downloaded, I suppose one would get even the servers configuration, including the rcon password!

Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 01:11:50 PM »

You're right, though maybe .cfg are excluded, I didn't check.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: