Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: force enemy model!!!  (Read 18689 times)
ArKL1Te
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: February 20, 2011, 07:27:41 PM »

Of course, this is the most wanted code for the game (almost for me), thing that I agree is the "Bright Skins" (see kamikaze's post http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=3729.0).. AND using it as a enemy model...

I love it because with that: we can hear the step, jumping, hear the screaming when we hurt the opponent so we know the health... I can wear my skin, and the skin of my enemies should be different...

I love this game cause I'm tired to hear and see the same quake voice/skins/colours/models/etc. And this is cool, in-game statistics, feedback voice rocks!!  Cheesy

Keep going OA team!!! ^^
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 08:14:40 PM »

Main problem I see is it's good for experienced players, but casual ones have to learn about it to use it well and are further disadvantaged meanwhile. It's like using Brightskins on unpure servers, most players aren't aware they can ...
Previously I think I misunderstood the interest of forceEnemyModel, but being able to distinguish our sounds from enemies sounds brings more danger awareness. Pushing the idea further, one could say it would be nice to manually assign models to players, though it would be a kind of a hassle to manage it. This individual player awareness can normally be achieved kinda by chance when cg_forcemodel is off. cg_ForceDifferentEnemyModels with randomly chosen ones ? Cheesy

I think Fromhell was kinda reluctant to implement the feature you ask for though, and I'm not sure it's significant enough in terms of gameplay lack so that this hacksaur technical control possibility is given.
I'd vote yes however for the sake Q3/OA already is an hacksaur engine, but don't expect people here to put much energy into it, and you may have more chance with Aftershock mod if it's not already implemented there.

Todo: Walk the cat.
chaoticsoldier

Cakes 18

This space intentionally left blank.

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 08:46:40 PM »

Like Cacatoes said, you'll have more luck with the Aftershock mod.

cg_forceEnemyModel is NOT ever going into the game.

0101100101101111011101010010011101110110011001010010000001101010011101010111001101110100001000000111011101100001011100110111010001100101011001000010000001111001011011110111010101110010001000000111010001101001011011010110010100101110
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 08:59:48 PM »

And I still stand by my position on adding unfair advantage options in the base game.

spoiler: cg_forceModel was originally done to save on RAM as 1999 RAM was so inflated in price...

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 09:50:54 PM »

It's not unfair (because every one can benefit from it), but it requires knowledge, like many things in OA ... tweaks and tricks, and even some rather obvious options (proof with "handicap" setting), aren't accessible for newcomers because of knowledge.
Important things are:
- do not make this knowledge a necessity, that means: allow people to play and have fun without much effort at the beginning.
- allow newcomers to learn, which means having appropriate ressources available and made public.

ArKL1Te
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 12:01:09 AM »

Quote from: fromhell
cg_forceEnemyModel is NOT ever going into the game.

The hard way of trying to seeking the enemy, including that I can't aim with low gamma. Sorry dude, you're pulling down the game.

1) It's cool for aiming cause we should see the bright skin green default (like in OSP/CPMA/QL) & hear the screaming on where it is and life left, if we use only forcemodel, you can hear them, but not sure if that's you or the opponent who jumps close: so that's a FAIL. Plus, you are in the light, seeking for the enemy who hides in darkness, and the enemy shooting you... Isn't unfair?
2) I can't see NOTHING in the darkness, cause the r_gamma doesn't work too

Quote from: Cacatoes
- do not make this knowledge a necessity, that means: allow people to play and have fun without much effort at the beginning.

Easy, make this as default. Or modify the game to ask the user if he want's to seek the enemies with bright skins or not, as a interactive question.

Quote from: chaoticsoldier
Like Cacatoes said, you'll have more luck with the Aftershock mod.

Why the 'luck' and not the 'posibility' ?? Sorry but this is ilogic, so we should continue with blind eyes and seeking/aiming the enemy in the hard way?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 12:31:39 AM by ArKL1Te » Logged
Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 08:56:29 AM »

if we use only forcemodel, you can hear them, but not sure if that's you or the opponent who jumps close: so that's a FAIL

Another example would have been better, actually you know who jumps since you should be aware *you* pressed the spacebar (or RMB whatever) in order to jump.

Plus, you are in the light, seeking for the enemy who hides in darkness, and the enemy shooting you... Isn't unfair?
He has a lightning gun while you have no ammo and only got the saw/gaunts, isn't unfair ?

I can't see NOTHING in the darkness, cause the r_gamma doesn't work too
This is a separate problem which could be/should be/kinda is addressed.
It should be possible to:
- set the brightness correctly, if these settings don't work properly then some investigation should be made
- have models which do not camouflage too much (it's already a concern, in particular for future models IIUC)
- use external brightskins (it's already a possibility)

Easy, make this as default.
Probably not a good idea, since the expected behaviour is to let players select their models, their choice being reflected in game.

Why the 'luck' and not the 'posibility' ?
Because you pop up in projects which already have some rather established development guidelines, so the answer will vary depending on who you find behind the door you knocked on. That doesn't mean we're not open to discussions, but that means you have to get solid arguments of why this should be implemented, especially since these issues have already been discussed. One of the motivation of why Aftershock mod was started precisely was some players were unsatisfied with the decision taken by OpenArena not to make playing with bright models as part of the game design. And you're actually lucky since this mod is rather new in comparison with OpenArena project's lifetime, and as I said one of its goal is to provide brightskins with the possibility to change their colors by hexadecimal values, just what you asked for on another topic.

Hope this answers your matters Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 01:23:45 PM »

I'm not sure, but I think that AfterShock has already got the force enemy model...

Anyway, I would like to see in standard OA a simple brightskin system obtained using a shader around the players, enabled or disabled (default) for all players using a server-side variable (this would not force anymore server admins to create pseudo-mods just to add brightskins... and remember that those hacks work with the models bundled with a certain version of OpenArena... now when a new version with new models comes out, admins have to create new brightskins each time).

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: