Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: OA Improvement Topic  (Read 38353 times)
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2010, 02:24:00 AM »

In that particular case, fromhell told you only had to tell what should be changed, then she'll take care of that. But of course for this to work, you have to give clear directives, and submit the needed material.

"News", you may write an article on the forum, and ask it to be moved in news section ?
"Media", there is a whole forum dedicated to screenshots submissions ...
and "Downloads", it's been already discussed in a topic, I'd suggest to pay attention not to fill it with anything (one may easily misunderstand the purpose of that section), but I suppose if you mention the name and URL of the software fromhell can add it. I don't know if every software should be hosted directly in oa.ws.

Todo: Walk the cat.
Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2010, 04:11:25 AM »

I've started a section on the Developer FAQ, it's title is: DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/DeveloperFAQ#Who_should_I_contact_for_more_info.3F]Who should I contact for more info. It's not meant as a task list, but as a list of experienced members who can help you with different things. Where there are more members for a single task, I chose alphabetical order. It's mainly from memory, so if I left someone out or someone should be removed please either edit the Wiki or post a reply.

http://udionline.hu/en/projektek/openarena/
Todo list: 1. q3dm17 textures replacement (95% done)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2010, 11:23:43 AM »

Really a nice thing.  Smiley
I ever wanted to know who is the best person to ask about a certain thing...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2010, 12:01:26 PM »

(Holycrap I see the new skin now too - damn it's hard to find stuff again... like they changed the prefectly fine office2003 with 2010)

Anyway, nice idea Udi Smiley
Not exactly what my intention was with this topic, but this seems to have been rejected anyway.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2010, 12:25:14 PM »

Yeah, Wikia's new skin sucks. -.-
I'm wondering if all the other wikis which are dependant on that one are affected as well. -.-

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2010, 02:31:09 PM »

Well, I feel I'm overrated.

NeonKnight, this new skin is global on Wikia. Each wiki are affected. //Hell... the Yugioh wiki became Yuk-ioh!...

One shall remind what have he left behind... to actually realize that it's still cool.
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2010, 04:28:15 PM »

Well, I feel I'm overrated.
Especially since you lost your mustach.

Oh it's not a big deal, it's like some people have caps in their name and some haven't.

Quote from: RMF
but this seems to have been rejected anyway.
It found partial agreement, not reject ! ... hm.

Todo: Walk the cat.
Biox1dE
Half-Nub

Cakes 3

I have my own personality

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2011, 03:27:14 PM »

is there some explanation of what the "list of missing sounds" should sound like? i dont know if anyone of you has ever done foley, or create sounds for games, but its kind of hard to go by filename only

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2011, 04:08:46 PM »

is there some explanation of what the "list of missing sounds" should sound like? i dont know if anyone of you has ever done foley, or create sounds for games, but its kind of hard to go by filename only
I suppose the better thing would be having a copy of Q3A, search and listen to the original sounds in its PK3s, and then try to make something similar (but completely from scratch or finding some free sound source to start from!)...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 04:55:38 PM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Biox1dE
Half-Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2011, 04:10:26 PM »

thanks gig, ill go look for a q3 torrent

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2011, 04:34:42 PM »

I suppose it should still be possible to find some copy of DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Quake_III_Arena]Q3A and DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Team_Arena]Team Arena (maybe also in the single package called "Q3 Gold"?) on some online store/ebay/similar...
I don't remember if DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/PointReleases]pointreleases (Q3 patches) added new sounds, but it's possible... I suppose one should install a 1.32b or 1.32c patch and then search in all the pk3s...

PS:
Missing sounds list: http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=3167.0
Some free sound sources: http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=1849.0
(DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/DeveloperFAQ]as usual, all have to be under public domain or GPLv2 license and the "source files" have to be available)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 12:43:18 AM by Gig » Logged

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2011, 05:15:41 PM »

listen to the original sounds in its PK3s, and then try to make something similar
what the f no
thanks gig, ill go look for a q3 torrent
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

by the way, the Quake III Demo TEST (oct 99) gives you a good idea how Q3 sounds (particularily, the Demo test has partial clips of music), but remember - I DO NOT WANT TO MAKE OA SOUND AND LOOK LIKE QUAKE3
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 07:05:43 PM by fromhell » Logged

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Biox1dE
Half-Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2011, 07:07:14 PM »

then please give me some other way of knowing what 'tim_weird1.wav' sounds like?

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2011, 07:31:33 PM »

it's a weird sound made by Tim Willits

that's all you need to know.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Biox1dE
Half-Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2011, 07:39:28 PM »

... so what things SHOULD i be making sounds for

Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2011, 10:47:42 PM »

Fail Wink
The list can be found here:
http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=3167.0
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2011, 12:45:21 AM »

Link fixed (I was tired and erroneoneously pasted the same URL two times).

Anyway, I have to quote bioxide: how to have an idea of the purpose of a certain sound? For many of them the filename is not enough.

A "weird sound" is far too vague, IMHO: it could be anything... a "clank", a "sob", a "blob", a "crack", a "gasp", a "stomp"... there is the risk to play a human voice where a metal sound is expected... that would appear odd, in-game... How to know where it will be used?

I'm not saying the new sounds have to be indentical to the original ones, but I think it should be plausible that they have been triggered (played) by the same situation/object than in the original game. Just a generic example: the sound of the shoot of a pistol is different from the one of a bazooka or of a submachinegun, but a "shot1.wav" filename does not explain for what kind of weapon it would be used.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 05:23:18 AM by Gig » Logged

pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2011, 04:17:51 AM »

it's a weird sound made by Tim Willits

that's all you need to know.

has that approach been used for the textures in openarena as well?

in that case i'm surprised that some of the textures actually look like their namesakes in quake 3.
Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2011, 12:10:35 PM »

ROFL

+1

anyway: another prob is the length of the üöayed sound. imagine the rail with a short "plong" instead of a long "swoosh" which supports you in timing!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: