Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: new ctf map  (Read 23415 times)
Czestmyr
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

Member, Player, Mapper

« on: January 19, 2007, 02:14:47 PM »

Hi, I'm working on a CTF map right now. It has come to the state, where it can be shown to the others and shared without me being ashamed for what I've created. So feel free to try out and comment. Beware though - it hasn't been VISed so far, so it can run really slow on weaker machines.
I also wouldn't recommend adding it to the rotation so far, since the work on it is under heavy progress.

Here's the link
http://adam-vojtech.cz/repository/czest2ctf-WIP.pk3

EDIT: Repaired link
EDIT: Updated link
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 07:21:21 AM by Czestmyr » Logged

Jabber ID: Czestmyr (rolled-herring-sign) jabber.cz
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 03:03:35 PM »

Awesome castles and light models.

About the only thing that is really missing is a trigger_multiple > target_speaker > noise *falling1.wav in the areas where people can fall to their deaths.

I'll give it a  thorough testing later.  Smiley

[edit]:

- The second layer of your sky shader (dimclouds.jpg) has one of those craptastic diamond patterns... that texture needs to be redone
- There should be a brush with the "nodrop" texture on it outside the bridge just above the bottom of the pit (Makes for a quick flag return when someone jumps to their death)
- The spawn points are a bit too close to the flags which makes it way to easy for someone to die while defending and then finish the job quickly after respawning
- no team_CTF*player functions (They serve as the initial team play spawn points, which would end the initial spawn frag at the info_player_deathmatches )
- can get confusing at certain areas of the map as to which direction to go (Namely in the interior areas) I don't have a suggestion for that.  I solved it in one of my maps with the red and blue arrow overlays in the svn but they don't go with the gothic theme of this map

Attached are some suggested fixes (For the nodrop and screaming falls thing) I don't have any suggestions for the spawn points though...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 09:12:48 PM by dmn_clown » Logged

Logan

Cakes 2

I'm one of those Canadians you've heard about

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 01:51:27 AM »

I'd like to try this map sometime. You should offer it on that server you ran before with the other map.

*Logan*

Let Me Kill You In Open Arena--> Digichalk 0.8.5
Let Me Kill You In Quake Live--> Logan26
Czestmyr
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

Member, Player, Mapper

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 10:18:09 AM »

I started polishing the map yesterday. I also created a cool gargoyle mapobject for it.

endtheunion
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 01:21:46 PM »

really interesting map. the layout is very original, i've never seen a map as straight and narrow as this before. that's not a bad thing mind, with three levels to move around on there are plenty of different routes that can be taken. i look forward to playing on this map.
Logan

Cakes 2

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 12:51:43 AM »

what are the chances this map will be included with the next release of OpenArena?

*Logan*

Czestmyr
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

Member, Player, Mapper

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 04:34:28 AM »

what are the chances this map will be included with the next release of OpenArena?

If it concerns me, high. I'm relatively done polishing the map. I just need to add a few items and we could test-play it. Maybe already tomorrow. After that I plan to improve the issues, that may arise during the play. So I hope the map will have been finished by the next release.

But then, it's up to leileilol, whether he will agree with distributing this map with openarena officially. It has vast open areas, so even after vis, the FPS may be low on older machines. This could interfere with the intention of creating an open-source game that should run on a relatively old HW. But again, this would need testing to see, what are the HW requirements for the map.

Logan

Cakes 2

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 11:48:14 AM »

Well I hope it happens. I recall playing this map when you were running it a while back and I really liked it. OpenArena NEEDS more large maps, especially since there are a lot more people playing lately and games end as fast as 3 mins on the small maps.

I don't think the fact that the map may not run overly smoothly on older computers should be an issue. Most people can run this game no problem. I know I have no problems. :p

*Logan*

Czestmyr
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

Member, Player, Mapper

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 12:25:20 PM »

Ok, let's schedule a test-play for, let's say, tommorow? The map will hopefully have been compiled by then and we will be able to play it. If we don't find anyone with a gameserver to run the map for us, I can allways run it on my computer. It won't probably show up in the master server serverlist, but that isn't a prob. I'll tell you my IP and the port number and you will be able to connect directly to me. So everybody interrested in beta-testing the map, propose a time in GMT tomorrow for test-play, cause I can play any time of the day (I'm learning for my university exams right now, so I'm in my room the whole day).

ratix
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 12:54:50 PM »

It won't probably show up in the master server serverlist
add
Code:
set sv_master1 "dpmaster.deathmask.net"
to your server config
Czestmyr
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

Member, Player, Mapper

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2007, 12:56:53 PM »

It won't probably show up in the master server serverlist
add
Code:
set sv_master1 "dpmaster.deathmask.net"
to your server config

I did that and it didn't help. Maybe it's because of my restrictive FW?

Czestmyr
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

Member, Player, Mapper

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2007, 12:57:46 PM »

Btw, ratix, will you join the test play?

ratix
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2007, 02:59:45 PM »

oh very yes
edit: but that depends on what time zone you're in, I can't play until after 16:00 CET (15:00 UTC) 30/01
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 04:59:06 PM by ratix » Logged
Logan

Cakes 2

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2007, 09:46:44 PM »

I'll join the test, but not till after 5pm MST. Ya...so what's the server name gonna be called, I'll look for it.

*Logan*

Czestmyr
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

Member, Player, Mapper

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2007, 03:38:04 AM »

Logan: Hmmm, that may be a problem, cause 5pm in MST is exactly midnight here. Sad

Czestmyr
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

Member, Player, Mapper

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2007, 04:43:04 AM »

Oh Noooooooooo! After cca. 15 hours, the map finally compiled, but when i try to play it directly from the menu, I get a "Couldn't find a spawn point" error, looks like we will test play sometime else Sad

ratix
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2007, 05:10:14 AM »

Oh Noooooooooo! After cca. 15 hours, the map finally compiled, but when i try to play it directly from the menu, I get a "Couldn't find a spawn point" error, looks like we will test play sometime else Sad

Don't worry, try these compile flags and make a map without shadows and stuff for testing, it ought to be faster than your 15 hours Wink
Code:
q3map2.x86 -fs_game baseoa -meta -v map.map
q3map2.x86 -fs_game baseoa -vis -saveprt -fast -v map.map
q3map2.x86 -fs_game baseoa -light -faster -v -notrace map.map
bspc -bsp2aas map.map
Czestmyr
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

Member, Player, Mapper

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2007, 07:30:33 AM »

OK, I'm waiting on 195.113.24.27:27960
Feel free to join the game

ratix
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2007, 08:44:38 AM »

OK, I'm waiting on 195.113.24.27:27960
Feel free to join the game
You must enable autodownload on the server:
Code:
seta sv_allowDownloads 1
for me to get the map, besides i can't play until 1520 UTC
Czestmyr
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

Member, Player, Mapper

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2007, 08:45:10 AM »

Sorry, I forgot. It's fixed now.

Logan

Cakes 2

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2007, 11:40:15 PM »

Heh I totally went to bed early and didn't make it. You should leave the server up all the time. Cheesy

*Logan*

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: