Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: OPTIONAL Hitzones  (Read 6827 times)
SharpestTool
Lesser Nub

Cakes -27

« on: May 19, 2011, 07:52:31 PM »

So I'm mulling around in my own RTCW mod, and I realized there was some old code left in there for passing an event to clients that would trigger blowing off somebody's head....and I got to thinking. 

OA really is missing out on not having hit zones.  Now I know we don't use skeletal models so this is harder than it sounds since models are of all different sizes,  But it's a little underwhelming when you can get instagibbed by a railgun that's aimed at your toes.

I think to make this any bit worth sticking in the game project is that it has to be optional and not on by default.   it's no easy task since player models aren't all the same size like in the tired Call of Money series.  It would require some significant spec'ing out dimensions by the modelers and some real code planning.   

Just a thought...looking for to get better with C vector math and thought this might be an opportunity.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 09:39:57 PM »

Considering OpenArena's varied proportions in the cast you'd have to try to get MD3s processed serverside to check for all hitboxes stuck near tag_heads for stuff to register.

And then you have the problem cases like Angelyss who has their head in their right hand, technically and Arachna who has the head in her abdomen.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 02:14:29 AM »

nottodo: change gameplay?
And I don't like this really. Realism in games is one of the things I think is quite overrated.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 05:59:24 AM »

There are some Q3 mods that detect headshots in some way...
DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/ModCompat/CorkScrew]CorkScrew even includes an "head hunter" option (with that option active, you have to hit opponents in the head, in order to score).... I'm not sure, but maybe that mod removes the "head" part of the model if you hit the guy in the head (if you want to check...)... what would happen with Angelyss or Arachna in this case? What happens if one uses force player model?

PS: Just a curiosity, what's the reason of having the "head" section of those two models in a different place than where the head is shown?

About Q3 hitboxes, take a look to these links
http://6r-clan.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=103
http://ra.is/unlagged/faq.html#IJRAMBIHOIJRAHBIM

I don't know how other games with non-standard models available manage hitboxes... In the first Unreal Tournament (a game that includes some sort of hit location system, since it detects headshots -announcer tells you did it, and I think models get decapitated- and the HUD shows a human body divided into some different parts that may get red when you are hit by someone.), I remember the "Rayman" -unofficial addon- model... it is very short (it all is like only the legs of the other models)... and if you shoot at "the air" over his head (where a standard character torso would be), you can see blood coming out from nowhere...
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 06:16:30 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 09:04:11 AM »

The whole model is in one part to have a bouncing breast, AFAIK,

The costume and the bare midriff needed the unification. You can't do a pastiche of ridiculous japan-influenced conceptual female warrior design on the 3-components player layout. You also have to consider the tag_torso split visibly affecting shading. I didn't want that on her, so that's how it was done. It wasn't for the bouncing breasts - that one was a bonus.

Also, the long hair of arachna made her head an upper.md3 component.

One shall remind what have he left behind... to actually realize that it's still cool.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: