Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Netradiant and Q3/OA shaders/shaderlist.txt - can't get skies working  (Read 7349 times)
Mirakus
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: April 20, 2011, 07:13:35 PM »

Hi.  I'm using Netradiant (latest git) to do some mapping for Q3A and OA. 

My problem is mainly with Q3, but it also partially affects my OA maps as well.  It would seem that the shaderlist.txt file that Radiant creates is leaving out a lot of the shaders; it's not as obvious with OA as the ones I mainly use (liquid, sky) work fine, but when working with Q3, I can't seem to get things working.  I had to manually add "liquid" to the shaderlist.txt file to get lava and water working.  Even after adding "sky" to the list, I can not make any sky work for Q3A.  Additionally, all of my common shaders are listed in the texture window, but all of them with the "shader image not found" message. 

Now, I've checked and double-checked all of my paths/settings/etc, and I truly think there's either something wrong with my Q3A (believe it's the 1.32 point release to get ioquake working), or something is wrong with Radiant.  I added every .shader file listed in my pk3s to my shaderlist.txt, and I still can't get the skies working.  If it helps, I'm using Debian.  Has anyone encountered this before who knows a solution?  It's really putting a dent into my mapping motivation.  ;o) 

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this - at least as far as the search goes, the community seems to be dwindling.  Help is appreciated.  Thanks!
Mirakus
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 04:55:22 PM »

Well, I did get a sky working tonight.  Apparently I was trying to use some of the textures which were textures only and not shaders.  I know it's a huge newb mistake.  ;o)  I'm still confused though, as I thought the sky.shader would apply to all of the sky textures.  Is it fairly straightforward to make the sky.shader work with any of the sky textures?  Thanks!
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 04:56:26 PM »

Be warned that there are many shaders with "texture missing" in the OA folder.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 04:54:12 AM »

Shaders are defined in the scripts/*.shader files (e.g. oasky.shader) in the scripts/ directory of the game data.  If you unzip all the pk3s you'll find them.

When you set the "texture" on a surface in Radiant, you're really specifying the name of a shader, and if it isn't defined in any of the shader files then the engine creates a basic shader definition using a texture with the same name (assuming it exists) which simply combines the texture image with the lightmap.

Skies need special shader keywords to be drawn in a sky-like way, otherwise he engine will just draw it as a normal texture.  You need to use an existing sky shader (check oasky.shader) or create your own shader file with the new shader definition in it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: