Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Quakeworld  (Read 12921 times)
chwz
Nub

Cakes -2

« on: May 02, 2011, 08:48:45 PM »

blah
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 07:28:25 AM by fromhell » Logged
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 06:19:17 AM »

I doubt many players from here will join (we're already so few...), but I wasn't aware of how active Q.W. scene was.
I was hoping this engine would be available in Debian Linux repositories, it seems it's not. If you want to help QW adoption, consider it, if that's possible, that could help a bit. I'll think about giving it a try. Like you I think it's nice there are links between these communities. Going to watch your video, thanks for the links, I've already explored a part of the scenes around Q3 and free-software FPS but haven't met these videos until now.

Todo: Walk the cat.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 07:29:04 AM »

banned for warez promotion. These QW guys are really driving the line of piracy when it comes to spreading quake's pak files in desperate calls to up their jabroni fodder base since their pro antics are killing their own game.

This same exact warez peddling message was crossposted on other forums, and since the guy had a lot of nerve to try it on here... BANNED

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 10:11:11 AM »

I don't have the courage to explain what's wrong in banning and censoring that guy, but I think there are a lot of points you missed. If you could only keep your bans for those who technically harm the forum, rather than people who irritate you, and only censor what makes OpenArena's law conformity in peril, that would be a big progress.
More importantly, you don't have to be a copyright dog, and rather than making the police, leave up to people their choice whether they should download copyrighted material or not. No hypocrisy, consider most of us profit copyrighted material for free, can it be music, images, or videogames. Don't hunt piracy or you'll hunt yourself, only follow strictly law conformity in appearance, that's something most free software guys don't even get. Free software's reason to be only is to prevent people from being hunted for sharing.
I could have posted the same thing he did for QW about OpenArena on other forums, everything wasn't to be thrown.

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 10:18:38 AM »

the "map packs" to download was actually Quake's registered pak file, and i have seen the same post before. They don't even reply or check for responses, the spreading is just a 'fire and forget' process.

even without the so called 'map packs', it's also breaching the shareware Quake license for playing unrestricted custom stuff alone

and no, this wouldn't benefit the qw community. With this thread appearing in 2011, with this same exact thread being made in 2010 many places elsewhere, it obviously isn't working out.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 10:22:42 AM »

I see he had 6 posts, I have no idea about their content. All of them were of copyright-infringment spam? If this one was the only one, one may have simply deleted it instead of banning the user.
If he just posted 6 messages of copyright infringment spam, instead, the ban sounds not a bad mistake (To Cacatoes: updated... I was simply searching a word, I'm not English motherlanguage...).
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 10:34:35 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 10:28:31 AM »

Necessity for going beyond a simple link censoring ?
Tolerance towards piracy (sampling, existence of good projects only thanks to piracy, fair use, law absurdities and criticism ...) ?
Education rather than deletion and repression ?

Edit to Gig: please, spare me the judeo-christianism ... Edit2: The "problem" is about the attitude you prone ("once okay we pardon, twice okay, third we punish"). It's not about the word you used ("sin"), which you ended up using naturally considering from where this moral way of dealing with things comes from.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 12:07:59 PM by Cacatoes » Logged

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 11:23:21 AM »

I see he had 6 posts, I have no idea about their content.

well suggesting openarena to use derivative quake textures isn't a good idea either

I originally was gonna pull just the links, but that'd be too generous since it'd leave in the key phrases in something like "i'd like to offer you Quakeworld a try"... please remember this is not the only topic to ever be made for this. there's probably some spreading campaign on some third party forum somewhere about this.  

The best solution  IMO to revive the Quakeworld scene is taking the OpenArena approach to it, but no one is apparently interested in it because of these blokes that spread the full Quake game as if it were public domain anyway. disgusting

I don't know why there is a debate about this, software piracy is a nono, and so is crossposting forum ad spam, combine both and you get a nononono. i'm moving this

If you see this thread on another forum (and you will), often about online games, please inform a moderator or admin about it.  Software piracy is serious business, especially since Quake is still sold.
Remember what "goatse" was originally created for - combating Quake piracy.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 11:50:40 AM »

What's "goatse"?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 12:24:34 PM »

There's a debate because you took the action of banning, which exactly is anti-talk and anti-debate.

Personally I don't mind which campaigns are made on other forums. When you promote something it's normal you do such campaigns. If I feel like I could spy some people all over the internet for what harm they did there I'd keep my judgement for myself, but the important part is I didn't see his post itself as a threat.

Full Quake game as public domain. Don't you think quake game is a niche, and don't you think commercial stuff could pay itself some innovation rather than recycling and counting on past success ? Quake is almost abandonware to me.

I don't know what's goatse either, though if they have some interesting approach on the matter I'd be glad to consider it, and explain mine to them in return.

Edit2: after 7's post now I remember, I'm not sure these guys put a lot of thoughts in terms of quake copyright matter.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 01:25:50 PM by Cacatoes » Logged

Cakes 7

Is 7 up?

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 12:25:32 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goatse.cx

I first thought goatse was widely known also, but apparently it was restricted to the gamer (irc) and it nerd (slashdot) crowds mostly.

I'm on the ten most wanted list, I've got it dead in the groove.
My face is on every wanted poster in town, for the way I move.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 01:23:00 PM »

@7
I did find that page on Wikpedia, but did not find any reference to Quake there...

@Cacatoes
When someone makes a mistake (e.g. spamming copyright-violation-inciting links), first you tell him he is doing a wrong thing... and if he continues, you have to use counter-measures, to preserve your community. For example on it.Wikipedia, usually they first warn a user that is going against rules, and if then he continues, they momentarily block him from writing, and if -when the temporary stop ends- continues to infring the same rule, they ban him forever. It seems the more standard way to manage an online community, I don't see why you find this strange at all. In this process, I prefer to talk with the user, more times if needed, before taking any action (please note: I'm not an admin or mod anywhere!), and I think that a ban is a measure to take only if really needed. I have not understood what's your opinion about it.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 02:32:54 PM by Gig » Logged

Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 01:29:18 PM »

The sounding didn't please me, but I wouldn't risk myself into explanations. I know it's a common practice.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 01:56:51 PM »

Please, do not ever read any post of mine as aggressive. It is not in my nature.

If you read any post of mine and find it aggressive or offensive, please read it again with a different mood. I can be defensive, but being offensive is not in my nature.
And I did not want to offend you at all, please believe me... I'm really sorry if I offended you in any way. If I say "I don't understand", I really mean that I don't understand something and need more info.

Sincerely,
Gig

Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 04:32:16 PM »

lol, don't worry, I wasn't offended at all ... my cold way to criticize some ideologies made you think I was.

Cakes 7

Is 7 up?

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2011, 04:38:51 PM »

The goatse.cx website was used as a target for fake-linking greedy, dumb and generally irritating people. Think of it as an ancient form of rickrolling from a time before the internet became all civilized and big brotherly. On irc (you know what irc is, right?) you would give the goatse url to lamers who kept on begging you for illegal software. Since quakeworld was the hottest online game at the time, most people would be bugging you for a (cracked) copy of quake I. I don't know if the goatse site was set up specially for this purpose, but fromhell seems to know more about that.

About the 3-strikes thing: what kind of punishment people perceive as fair is culturally determined. People who are used to harsh punishment tend to think that everything is allowed when they get a lot of second chances after repeatedly doing something wrong, while people who are used to getting second chances think they are being mistreated when they are punished the first time they do something wrong. When you bring those different cultural attitudes to punishment together, funny things happen. (The 'second chancers' often demand harsher punishment in such situations because they think the 'harshers' are creating too much chaos for instance.) The only easy solution to this problem is to let the head honcho(s) decide and to all stick with that decision Wink

I'm on the ten most wanted list, I've got it dead in the groove.
My face is on every wanted poster in town, for the way I move.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: