Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trying to play with a touchpad?  (Read 11886 times)
Epicness48
Nub

Cakes 1

« on: May 23, 2011, 10:49:42 AM »

Hello!  I played this morning for the first time in a year or two, and I had quite a bit of fun.  However, I seem to have a problem.

I tried controlling the view with the left and right arrow keys and page up and page down keys.  Of course, that didn't get me as many frags as I cared for.  I tried using the touchpad, but it goes way too fast.  I tried slowing it down and it doesn't seem to slow much farther.  This is on my laptop and I don't really have a flat surface available for a mouse.

Any ideas as to what's going on and the solution?

In-game, I'm WeepingAngel.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 11:12:21 AM »

Did you try to slow down the mouse from both your operating system control panel and from the OpenArena Setup > Control > Look menu?

I fear you will never get as many frags as you wish using a touchpad (even if, with some training, maybe you may do something not too bad)... But I suppose you are holding your laptop on your legs or similar, and then not even a trackball would se suitable for you, right?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Epicness48
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 11:39:33 AM »

Did you try to slow down the mouse from both your operating system control panel and from the OpenArena Setup > Control > Look menu?

I fear you will never get as many frags as you wish using a touchpad (even if, with some training, maybe you may do something not too bad)... But I suppose you are holding your laptop on your legs or similar, and then not even a trackball would se suitable for you, right?

A trackball wouldn't be too bad...  The last one broke, but I'll look into getting a replacement this summer if slowing down the mouse doesn't work out.

EDIT:  Huh...  Slowing it down to a crawl on the computer does almost nothing for it.

Well, I believe I still have the old trackball...  I'll dig it out and repair the wire.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 12:29:57 PM »

EDIT:  Huh...  Slowing it down to a crawl on the computer does almost nothing for it.

In your OS, do you have slowed down both mouse speed and acceleration? Or maybe that touchpad may have additional drivers that control it using a different interface?

And even setting it to the minimum from the OpenArena menu does not work?
In my OpenArena Q3config.cfg file, I can find these variables that seem mouse-related:
seta cl_mouseAccelOffset "5"
seta cl_mouseAccelStyle "0"
seta cl_mouseAccel "0"
seta sensitivity "14.950000"
You may try changing them... but write down your values before...

Another chanche may be this one... take a look to this section:
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/FAQ#The_game_switches_from_fullscreen_to_windowed_mode_and_the_mouse_becomes_unusable
The first things there are about Linux, but then there is a thing that applies to Windows (in case one changed the screen's DPI to change font sizes)...
(Uhm... maybe that part of the help could be rearranged to make it a bit more visible? And I don't know if it is related with switching from fullscreen to windowed or not)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 12:42:19 PM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Epicness48
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 12:33:23 PM »

I probably shouldn't do that, as I'm not that good with technical stuff.  Maybe in two years I'll be able to fix it (college coming), but right now, I'm not sure I should dig into that....

Well, I'll try to fix my old trackball this evening.  If that doesn't work, I'll get a new one.  Once I have it, I'm going to pay some people back for shooting me with a railgun from across the arena without even trying. Grin Angry

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 12:40:43 PM »

Following the instructions to check if you have Windows font sizes at default (96 DPI) isn't hard...

Epicness48
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 01:45:06 PM »

We'll see.  Maybe I'll mess with the codes and stuff (after saving the originals) if I can't fix this one and other trackballs are too expensive.  But I think I'll manage.

RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 02:03:10 PM »

This is on my laptop and I don't really have a flat surface available for a mouse.
Hmm is it really impossible? Maybe put a book next to the laptop or something? I think that'll be better than touchpad.
Epicness48
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 02:11:05 PM »

This is on my laptop and I don't really have a flat surface available for a mouse.
Hmm is it really impossible? Maybe put a book next to the laptop or something? I think that'll be better than touchpad.

Perhaps.  I have a little space, so we'll see.  There's at least enough room for a trackball.

WingedPanther

Cakes 4

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 03:38:57 PM »

I have gotten pretty good playing with my trackball, so that will definitely work for you.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
Epicness48
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 04:22:44 PM »

I have gotten pretty good playing with my trackball, so that will definitely work for you.

Thanks for the input. Smiley

That might have actually been what I used a year or two ago when I previously played, and I got to the point where I could snipe from just about anywhere and shoot pretty well.  In ctf I was often the guy firing a rail gun at people running towards our side of the map or dumping rockets at the entryway into the enemy area while we were doing a rush, and I got pretty good at it.

I'm gonna try fixing it.

Epicness48
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 11:03:19 PM »

Alright, I found an easy fix for my old trackball.  Here we go baby.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: