Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Body matching health meter  (Read 6049 times)
OddJob
Nub

Cakes 2

« on: September 19, 2011, 02:43:20 PM »

Consider this, you have one hit point left yet you're still running around, jumping, and shooting...how is that possible?

Once again, I'll start off by saying I haven't taken any of the programming or processing challenges into consideration here.

What I was thinking was not a progressive system where at 80 health the character model looks a little ragged, and then at 50% a little more shot up, etc.

I was simply thinking that when you take a direct hit that knocks you under 10%, you have the explosive effective of blood and chunks, but you're not dead, you're just a torso that is stuck wherever it lands.  So you can still aim and shoot, but you're half the size and you can't move.

Actually I have thought about the process for making this happen programming-wise..sort of.  Let's say when the player gets reduced to 10% health the camera action that happens when you explode goes off and of course the gore shoots everywhere, but also your legs go to invisible (I know there is an invisible power up but wasn't sure if you can apply to specific parts or it has to be the whole model) and your stance is set to crouch so you're not a floating torso, but look as if you're laying there half dead.  Of course you can't move either which is also something I have seen as a powerup in game.  Also, since the cross hair changes to red when your health gets critical, we know that the system knows when you're health is getting low and does an action (turns your cross hair red) accordingly.  So it doesn't seem too impossible programmatically to implement.

I guess the question would be, is it something anyone would want to see? 

It could have its advantages.  Let's say you rocket jump with 20% life which takes you to 10%.  Not only do you get the vector from the jump but also the additional height from your torso and legs separating.  You're now up high where no one will think to look for you.  It's a rail campers dream come true.  It might even cause a new term to be coined, "Torso Camping," where you blow yourself up so that you can be a bloody gimp on the wall sniping people that run by.

One down side is that then if you see someone blow up you're not sure if they are really dead or not.  There are two ways to handle this.  1) This even only happens from quick drop in health like that of a rail gun or rocket launcher.  So someone that is just gunning you down won't see you combust until you're dead.
2)  The shooter hears "finish him" so he knows that the victim isn't dead yet.  (Sorry to add to the missing sounds list, but I would personally record "finish_him.wav" "fh_01.wav" myself if this were actually implemented.

I know that OA is trying to steer clear of hell, blood, and guts as a major theme, but for the sake of a little realism you have to have a little dismemberment every now and then.

It's not as bad as one idea I had about having headshots where the player gets a medal for every headshot and the victim doesn't explode, but their head model is replaced with gushing blood and their body goes limp and falls down, or worse, they can still run around for 5 seconds with a gushing head before their body explodes.  It would be like berzerker mode where the gauntlet comes out and they can try to run into to someone before exploding.

And for the record, I'm only imagining all of this stuff in game; I'm not some sort of oddball that fantasizes about death all day.  Honest. 
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 02:56:19 PM »

Realism wasn't a main aspect of quake3... and since OA tries to keep the same gameplay quake 3 had, I fear you are entering the DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/NOTTODO]NOTTODO area.

In other words: this seems more stuff for a DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Mod]mod[/i], than for baseoa...

PS: A torso that turns around and shoots is not the best example of realism, I admit, but I hope you get the point.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 03:11:17 PM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 05:35:52 AM »

To add about these general contribution considerations, I'd say your ideas can be nice (also considering the effort you put in describing them) and it's better to be innovative than conservative (if openarena really is open, then it could accept some other branches), but the project also has very limited manpower, thus we have reasonable ambitions (improving the Q3 gameplay while not changing its fundamentals) and there already is a lot of work in that area Wink
The good thing is some of the modifications can be made optionnal, but it's better if these changes can preserve the current coherence of the game.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 05:50:03 AM by Cacatoes » Logged

Todo: Walk the cat.
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 02:47:13 PM »

I agree with Gig, I wouldn't like it in baseoa, maybe for a mod or so.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: