Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: OpenArena Name Tracker??  (Read 18301 times)
swaggerall

Cakes -58

Mega|^AIM

« on: September 28, 2011, 04:13:18 PM »

Ive heard from a certain source and i have seen former members that i know personally use a said name tracker??

it suppose to be able to keep track of names for example

Player 1 uses name ----> "Superman"

Player 1 changes his name to something else ----> Changes name to "Clark"

Even though the person changes there name the "Name Tracker" will tell you who that person really is "Player 1 is really superman and not Clark"

Please someone dont tell me this isnt possible because i have seen it used by the person that brought me into openarena

getting it from him is not fairly possible due to he doesnt have ANYTHING of openarena

Mega Rules The World ! Mega Rules The World
Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 11:31:24 PM »

smash did a tracker like this long time ago.
afaik it was a little script with some fuzzyness in the results.
feel free to code it by your own Wink
swaggerall

Cakes -58

Mega|^AIM

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 06:46:42 AM »

where can smash be found these days?

he has so many names as well D=

and he doesnt come in irc anymore..

Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 11:28:29 PM »

sry but haven´t seen him for a while... Sad
swaggerall

Cakes -58

Mega|^AIM

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 01:52:27 PM »

hmmm but i wonder what it would take to make 1

i know sookee can do it but i doubt he will attempt it

RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 02:50:34 PM »

You can try sending Smash a PM on GoD forums. Can't tell if he will answer, but it is the only way of contacting him that I know of.

And I could make this too, but how much do you want to pay for it Cheesy
Nah I don't have time now anyway, and I'm not sure if I could make this cross-platform (although PHP should work, but you'd have to initiate the script yourself - I'm assuming name changes are logged btw).
swaggerall

Cakes -58

Mega|^AIM

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 05:08:02 PM »

Shocked

well ill try to get him there

hehe

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 01:16:47 AM »

Excuse me, can you tell me how would a such program technically work? I'm just curious...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 08:25:52 AM »

It would try to get an unique key for a pc.
this could be the mac address combined with other things (IP-Address, Browsersettings or whatever).
ql and aftershock use a registration process to identify the player.
But this scan is problematic regarding privacy: i guess somebody could get your balls in front of a court if he likes... Grin
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 09:34:30 AM »

And how could it acquire data? I mean, would it continuously query client info from all OpenArena servers listed on master server? (Master or normal) servers send semi-confidential data like clients IPs to whoever wants them?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 09:56:37 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 09:50:26 AM »

No, it just works in front of OA - as a proxy between the server and his clients.
afaik there are no vars to log client IPs or MACs inside the server.
anyway: this logging is still some kind of fuzzy, because some ppl play behind a proxy.
all this clients would just be visible as one player with hundreds of nicks Cheesy
you can test this with many mates from italy: blocking an ip (ban) will drop most of them from your server...
(remember scassas ban which leads to a discussion about the ban?).
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 01:39:47 PM »

I suppose such app could check DPMASTER's list, and track name changes by analyzing scores/pings/names to identify players.
Of course it would be an external, empirical, and unperfect way to do it.

So the other way would just be to check the player ID  (UID ? I don't remember the acronym) server-wise, which could mean something like modify OA so that it logs name changes events.

Todo: Walk the cat.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 01:53:57 PM »

Hence my overlooked tripcodes suggestion, where identification is purely voluntary...

I don't like ip addresses as player IDs, that'd be stupid for players with dynamic IPs since suddenly you're a TOTALLY NEW UNRELATED PLAYER, plus there's privacy issues and possible malicious intent from unsportsmanlike opponents

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 03:00:29 PM »

Tripcodes need activities from userside (entering pw), but AIM swaggerall wants to follow players on servers iirc.
i guess he wants to see, which players are using different nicks to play.
Without engine modification you just can use the method with a proxy to check network traffic information imho.
but as i said: the results are not that 100% and the whole data collection sounds strange for me (which was the reason, why smash stoped his development afaik).
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 11:13:51 PM by Peter Silie » Logged
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 03:06:42 PM »

Hence my overlooked tripcodes suggestion, where identification is purely voluntary...

I don't like ip addresses as player IDs, that'd be stupid for players with dynamic IPs since suddenly you're a TOTALLY NEW UNRELATED PLAYER, plus there's privacy issues and possible malicious intent from unsportsmanlike opponents
You did not give much information in that topic. I have always thought the best way for a player that wanted to be tracked could generate a certificate and prove its identity to all server he joined. So the servers had a public displayable identification for the client. I have mostly considered with as a way to keep track of stats across servers without having to worry about giving password to untrusted servers.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
swaggerall

Cakes -58

Mega|^AIM

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2011, 06:49:49 PM »

Tripcodes need activities from userside (entering pw), but AIM wants to follow players on servers iirc.
i guess he wants to see, which players are using different nicks to play.
Without engine modification you just can use the method with a proxy to check network traffic information imho.
but as i said: the results are not that 100% and the whole data collection sounds strange for me (which was the reason, why smash stoped his development afaik).

OK 1) I'm Talking About For OpenArena Not IRC (IRC Maybe)

But I Am Originally Talking About OpenArena But IRC Tracker Is Good As Well Smiley

And 2) You Dont Have To Give Out Who I Am Just Because You Just Figured It Out Lol punched

Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2011, 11:13:29 PM »

iirc not IRC Cheesy

Didn´t knew, that anybody hadn´t figured out, that you are swaggerall Grin
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2011, 12:28:25 AM »

http://www.acronymfinder.com/IIRC.html

Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2011, 02:44:14 AM »

lol

I guess that it was obviously, that i didn´t meant IRC, because all is about OA.

Just jokin and no offense Wink
swaggerall

Cakes -58

Mega|^AIM

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2011, 08:02:43 PM »

iirc not IRC Cheesy

Didn´t knew, that anybody hadn´t figured out, that you are swaggerall Grin

ROOOOOAAAAR ! Shocked

lol peter check the OpenArena Encyclopedia On GoD|Forum

Pages: [1]
  Print