Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: ROFL INSTANTGIB! 0.8.5  (Read 38894 times)
swaggerall

Cakes -58

Mega|^AIM

« on: October 15, 2011, 03:53:35 PM »

ROFL INSTANTGIB! 0.8.5

Cacatoes can you add bright skins to your server ASAP its getting to be unplayable and a bit weird to be a good server with no skins

and can you please change this 12 player limit

the server gets populated quick nowadays  and a 12 limit isnt really going to keep players on spectate

and some new maps you've had this rotation for ever with maps like "oa_bases7" (which none of us like)

try maps like "speedyctf" and some others so it can be more fun right now its only like a 4 map rotation not good if you want to your server to stay filled

**Speedyctf

**13dream

etc.. please the servers need updates

Mega Rules The World ! Mega Rules The World
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 04:06:24 PM »

Oh and while you're on it, please also fix the emulated framerate to 125fps. Ps37ctf being the only map with a decent jump height is annoying, especially on for example ps9ctf. It just doesn't feel right, and nearly everyone I asked feels the same.

About the maps, oa_bases7 is fine without campers, but public servers just aren't that. I agree that it should be removed from the map cycle, and I'm for adding speedyctf too.
Bane

Cakes 5

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 07:01:14 PM »

Hey I often go on your rockets server and I was wondering if maybe you could take oactf4ish you know “ the space map” off for just a little while and replace it with something else if you don’t mind.
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 06:29:35 AM »

@swaggerall,
Answered here: http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=3747.msg40208#msg40208

@rmf,
I'll try to see what is wrong on ps9ctf and gameplay. Can you elaborate on what feels wrong ? is it like you feel most jump pad bumps are too slow and don't reach high enough ? something else ?

@Bane
This map is very much appreciated on that server. So people will likely complain if I remove it. I like it too and don't feel it should be removed. Can I know what spoils your fun there so you wish not to play it ? Maybe it's overplayed but then there is a reason for it, like from time to time people call votes in order to play/replay it.
Have you got an idea of a map you'd like to play there ?

Todo: Walk the cat.
swaggerall

Cakes -58

Mega|^AIM

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 10:04:42 AM »

ok well cacatoes can you just make brightskins a default for servers , some people dont know that you need to add the skins to baseoa i think you making it a default and download it it will be alot better

and about the maps that is a must because its not something bad or anything its just that the server rotation is ....well bland...

Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 03:09:54 PM »

I prefer not to have download requirements to play on popular ROFL servers.
The advantage in this also is players get a better idea of what is available within stock OA, since our goal is to develop and enhance OA, it makes no sense to provide "customizations" which are helpful, since if they are helpful they should come with stock OA.
I can leave it unpure as a possibility to use brightskins, since I admit they are a nice have, and leave the responsibility to players to mess up with their PK3s if they feel they want to.
I invite you to dig into these feature requests (1) (2) if you have something meaningful to add about them.

swaggerall

Cakes -58

Mega|^AIM

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 05:48:25 PM »

you know what cacatoes when you put it that way i understand why you dont have it as a requirement  Shocked

very very true, and what about the map rotations?

im sure more than me and RMF feel the need for a new map rotation...

some lags occur to most players as well...

Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 03:44:25 AM »

The lag is due to a space disk problem I can't solve since I don't have root access to the server.
The server owner is informed, so we'll likely find some solution within days.

RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 02:00:46 PM »

@rmf,
I'll try to see what is wrong on ps9ctf and gameplay. Can you elaborate on what feels wrong ? is it like you feel most jump pad bumps are too slow and don't reach high enough ? something else ?
It's not the bouncepads. It's, like on every map, the jumps (as in: pressing the +moveup bind) which are too low. On ps9ctf it's hard enough for people to make the jump from the flag to the other platforms on 125FPS, let alone 85FPS.

our goal is to develop and enhance OA, it makes no sense to provide "customizations" which are helpful, since if they are helpful they should come with stock OA.
If everything which is helpfull would make it into OA (baseoa/stock/whatever), I think we would at the very least have brightskins and force enemy model by now. Yet...
I still stand by my position on adding unfair advantage options in the base game.
And anything else is mostly in the NOTTODO, it's too much work, not enough added value, or anything else at all. It never gets done.
I get why this is and I'm definitely not saying I could do it any better, but unfortunately it's just not true that we can expect everything usefull to come with stock OA.

Hey I often go on your rockets server and I was wondering if maybe you could take oactf4ish you know “ the space map” off for just a little while and replace it with something else if you don’t mind.
It is a rockets server, and oactf4ish is the rockets map it seems :p Most people like it and some hate it, so I think it won't be removed. I personally like it now and then, about as often as I feel like playing rockets lol, so for once I belong with the 'most people' category (which is rare for me punched).
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 02:52:28 PM »

our goal is to develop and enhance OA, it makes no sense to provide "customizations" which are helpful, since if they are helpful they should come with stock OA.
If everything which is helpfull would make it into OA (baseoa/stock/whatever), I think we would at the very least have brightskins and force enemy model by now. Yet...
I still stand by my position on adding unfair advantage options in the base game.
And anything else is mostly in the NOTTODO, it's too much work, not enough added value, or anything else at all. It never gets done.

Cheat skins don't enhance nor contribute to the base media.

BASE media.

BASE media.

Do your cheat addons in a mod - it has no place in the BASE media, and it certainly doesn't make a game more fair or better.

shit, i'm trying to reboot the project's art direction without any help so none of this cheating shit would need to be turned to with clearly visible art available - i die a little inside for every flourescent glowing grism I see.  I try to work towards a solution (OA3), but no one seems interested into helping me get there

bah

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
swaggerall

Cakes -58

Mega|^AIM

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 03:19:38 PM »

i still think oa is to dark and models are to dark to be seen

brightskins are about the only answer

@cacatoes what about a new map rotation?

Bane

Cakes 5

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 08:38:14 PM »

It’s more or a me problem I guess I lag on that map it seemed a lot I’ve cut out a lot some stuff and try to run as basic as I can, but I understand it is cause I am far way for the server, but the reason I player there is because your servers are usually the only ones with people on them. Also playing that map 3 or 4 times in a row some times just gets boring. Also an idea for another map since you asked is I think oa-reptctf11 or ps9ctf would be good. Anyway thanks for you response and you reason for keeping it.
swaggerall

Cakes -58

Mega|^AIM

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 09:03:10 PM »

ps9ctf is there but

im all for ANY other maps

only exceptble map there is on rotation is ps37ctf...& ps9ctf

and sometimes oasago2...

Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 11:33:39 PM »

@fromlei: i would say, that bright skins are not for cheating purposes. you also could say, that the spider model is for cheaters (because it has some influence of you aiming behaviour if you have to frag spiders Cheesy ) or the darker models in some maps (tony for example), which aren´t that or less visible in some areas. force brightmodels is a fair combination: all play with the same, visible model . lets say: sarge. maybe as a server side setting? But you are the lead Wink

@rmf: did i told you, that i am the world record holder with -200 on oa_ctf4ish? Grin

@swaggeral: the only map, which is a real pain in my... - lets say foot - is (imho) bases7. on publics it is senseless to play.
Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2011, 12:37:35 AM »

Forcemodels is already in, available in the menu, Peter, forceenemy is in the NOTTODO.

And I dunno, brghtskins suck. Play with gamma.

One shall remind what have he left behind... to actually realize that it's still cool.
Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2011, 04:21:01 AM »

@RMF, I'll try to play the map and check that then.

@fromhell, so "everyone is cheating on Super,CTF", weirdly, it's a rather competitive server and nobody complained about cheat. You should abandon that "bright-cheat" story, it's wrong both logically and in practice. Just say "I don't want a game with bright players, but I want them to be easily distinguished", that'd be enough. Use proper words, that's all I ask. Brightskins are just an easy, radical, and traditionnal fix. If people really need it to be glowing, then that's another art direction and another game concept, and it'd be more understandable for why you don't follow it.
And please, don't blame the lack of contributors when you're mostly responsible for their unwelcoming. We need to do something to deserve our adoption by Da Free Game Alliance. Ach ach, yeah this is sarcasm, but:
Quote from: FGA
Open Source is about having an open development cycle, accepting new contributions from the community, sharing results and experiences, structuring projects in a way that inspires collaboration.
It's probably unnecessary to elaborate more on this.

@swaggerall, (speaking of Instagib), I'll have an eye on map rotations, I'll remove oa_bases7, and think about putting another one instead.

@bane (speaking of Allrockets), I'll think too about making a try with those 2 maps you mentionned.

@Graion, you may be right, usually I don't change gamma but maybe I underestimate it.

swaggerall

Cakes -58

Mega|^AIM

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2011, 05:26:02 AM »

im all for speedyctf and a few other maps like oa_repta7

WingedPanther

Cakes 4

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2011, 09:24:44 AM »

@fromhell.

I wish I had your art skills.  I've got blender and GIMP installed.  Perhaps I need to dig in and learn how to use them to make models.  I could also contribute programming skills.  My voice sucks, however, so unless you need a new voice for Penguin, I can't help much there.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2011, 10:07:07 AM »

Forcemodels is already in, available in the menu, Peter, forceenemy is in the NOTTODO.

And I dunno, brghtskins suck. Play with gamma.

I was never interested in brightskins, just noticed, that many players want to have it in.
And i noticed, that QL also has bright skins as standard. AS also?
I think that brightskins are just cheats for those camper games like CS or whatever - but hasn´t this impact on fast played games like q3 (specialy insta or roxx!).

I play oa out of the box, just removed the rl smoke trail (you can´t see anything on a rocket server if not) and adjusted max_fps to the proper val for pre .85 to be able to enter the bridge in ps37ctf.

But i never understood, why this basic settings are not the default values for a fresh installation.
Every new player asks how to enter this damn bridge and how to disable smoke (and many more ofc, but that is not the main goal of this topic. sry for being OT Sad ).
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2011, 10:35:11 AM »

I play oa out of the box, just removed the rl smoke trail (you can´t see anything on a rocket server if not) and adjusted max_fps to the proper val for pre .85 to be able to enter the bridge in ps37ctf.

But i never understood, why this basic settings are not the default values for a fresh installation.
Every new player asks how to enter this damn bridge and how to disable smoke (and many more ofc, but that is not the main goal of this topic. sry for being OT Sad ).
Uh? I rarely play on pre-085 servers, what's the problem with entering the bridge, there? No jump is needed to get there, what would framerate change in this case?
And are you sure it is common to ask how to disable smoke? I don't find it too much annoying, and sometimes it can help to understand where the player that launched the rocket could be (of course, maybe in "all rockets" mode it could be different, but "all rockets" mode is just a particular option active on a (relatively) small number of servers).

Anyway, I suppose default values try to stay as near as the original Q3 gameplay as possible (even if with some exceptions like awardpushing, that is an OA feature and is enabled by default... same for accurate physics.).
However, changing a default in a next OA version to fit servers with older versions does not sound very efficient (when 0.8.6 will come out, 0.8.1 will be two versions behind!).. and I imagine in future more servers will use accurate physics...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2011, 01:32:56 PM »

The bridge on 85 servers depends on the map configuration.
on pre 85 versions it depends on the frame rate and fits best with 125 or 333 (i think, because my netbook isn´t that good XD )
If you have 85 fps, you can´t reach the top Sad
It already was discussed here on forum (maybe search for max_fps and ps37ctf).

You are right, if you say that all roxx is played on 1 or 2 servers, but these servers are the only one, who has players during the last month:
ROFL Insta
ROFL Rockets

OA has no more servers with more than 4 players!
Most "pro" players went to QL or AS - but i dislike both of them (my opinion, plz no comments here Wink ).
OK, there is also a DM server still up with more then 4 players, but all the others are empty as a black hole.
So it is neccesary, to deactivate smoke if you like to play OA with human players via iNet Grin

Anyway: max_fps ans smoke were just examples for wrong default values - there are many other options, which should have a better preset - for "noobs" and "pros". But this is just my opinion and i am not a committer of this project - i am just a user, who asks for some modifications.

But as so many times already written before: there is no way, because the developers of this project (and they deserve my full respect! no offense from my side!!) have an other opinion regarding this points.

I have to accept there votes or leave OA - and i am still here since a looong time Wink

ps: maybe you should play OA more often online Wink
Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2011, 11:17:25 AM »

Do you have that many cvars to change in mind ... ?
Personally I was wondering if default network could be changed, since 33K is a bit absurd, while I also remember Graion posted something to consider and which I liked about it.

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2011, 11:21:57 AM »

Personally I was wondering if default network could be changed, since 33K is a bit absurd, while I also remember Graion posted something to consider and which I liked about it.
Newer versions of ioquake3 defaults to 25000 and so does recent OA builds. This is only effective if the cvar does not already exist.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
swaggerall

Cakes -58

Mega|^AIM

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2011, 01:42:42 PM »

server was extremly laggy today...

it nevers gives me lags until a month ago

Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2011, 03:11:52 PM »

It was just restarted minutes ago, with the hope it could enable some f**ing logrotate which would compress these damn big kernel log files which fill up the root partition.
Unfortunately, it didn't help, and these "you can't fix the problem because you don't have the right to, so you write to some techni-commercial service which answers you gibberish" tend to make me a bit crazy.

So I suppose the server will go better this evening, but problem is not fixed. I still wait for answers about what solutions we have. Wait some days more.

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: