Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is OpenArena OpenGL or Direct3D?  (Read 6676 times)
Espionage724
THIS ONE POST HERE SHOULD DO IT.

Cakes 0

« on: October 15, 2011, 03:39:38 PM »

I could of sworn OA was OGL, and MSI Afterburner even says that OA is OGL. I was speaking to a developer over at Evolve about why I couldn't get Overlay to work properly with OA, and after some testing, he came to the conclusion that OA was Direct3D.

To be specific as to how the conclusion was made, Evolve can hook into OGL and D3D9+ (some D3D8 and 7) games and when a hook attempt is made, Evolve will note this in a log. Evolve can auto-detect the renderer in use, but I tried a manual force of D3D and OGL. Evolve only actually reported success with the renderer in D3D. Also, in Evolve's defense, it detects the renderer right on every other game I tested, and also works fine in Quake III :p

Edit: Also, this is with the version of OA available from the downloads page (0.8.1) with the patch (0.8.5) on Windows 7 x64.

(also to anyone who has no idea what Evolve is, check out this website. In short, it's a better program then Xfire and Raptr :p)
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 03:44:59 PM »

OpenArena is OpenGL

it's only Direct3D if you use a D3D GL Wrapper, like the one with default stock Win7 video drivers (Microsoft's own GL>D3D wrapper if you don't install the official driver packages from your graphics vendor), or old 3rd party wrappers such as AltoGL and GLDirect

Perhaps SDL is throwing Evolve off.   SDL ticks me off too, and I wish there was a non-sdl ioq3/oa, much like Darkplaces still has non-SDL versions

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 04:41:50 AM »

If SDL turns it off, you might try to confirm it with ioquake and/or OpenTTD.

One shall remind what have he left behind... to actually realize that it's still cool.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: