Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: High CPU load!  (Read 5905 times)
TRiLLeNNiuM
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: October 21, 2011, 01:54:16 AM »

Hi All,

I have a question.
I'm running OA on Puppy Linux Lucid 528 (x86)
When i check my CPU load one core is almost always running at 100%!!
When i lower my com_maxfps to 77 everything is ok, but when i set it at 78 or higher one core is running immediately at 100%.
OA runs just ok and i don't have any problems with it, but i think it's strange.

System:
Gigabyte gigabyte ga-970a-ud3
AMD Athlon X3 460
Kingston V100 64gb SSD
4 Gig kingston ram
Monitor Dell 22" U2212HM
Graphicscard: Sapphire ATI RADEON 6570 1024mb

Any idea's?
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 04:25:44 AM »

I'm unsure but ioq3 is known to have some CPU bottlenecks, so I think it's normal.
My CPU usage is reasonable when I play, but I'm not surprised it reaches 100% on some platforms, while not causing troubles/slowdowns.

Todo: Walk the cat.

Cakes 7

Is 7 up?

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 04:45:44 AM »

What CPU load do you have at 77 fps?
Have you tried running OA with the default configuration files (move your configuration out of the way and rerun OA)?

I'm on the ten most wanted list, I've got it dead in the groove.
My face is on every wanted poster in town, for the way I move.
WaspKiller
Bigger member

Cakes 8

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 07:45:49 PM »

TRiLLeNNiuM, is Puppy installed locally or is it running from a LiveCD and your settings saved to a flash drive?

Second, what drivers are you using for the Radeon 6570?  If your are using the default distro drivers then try to download the latest one from the Ubuntu repository.  Lucid unlike Wary is the version of Puppy that is built from Ubuntu's binary packages.  If this does not work try the following: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/linux/Pages/radeon_linux.aspx?type=2.4.1&product=2.4.1.3.42&lang=English

But if you use AMD's binary build then disable the Catalyst AI as it has been known to cause problems with some ATI cards on the Tech3 engine - http://www.excessiveplus.net/blogs/pacevile/100-cpu-usage-by-quake3-solved

GL.

Calm is for LOSERS!  ANGER fuels my game and btw you're NEXT!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: